Have Ikea changed their slats?

First of all, I’d like to thank Phoenix for this excellent post regarding mattress options in the Toronto area. I ended buying a latex mattress at Dormio, who were excellent and patient while I spent several hours in two of their stores taking various naps…

So, splurge on the mattress, skimp on the frame, right? Dormio recommends a totally flat slat foundation. I’m looking at Ikea and I notice they no longer have their plain, solid slat base anymore. It seems they are all flex/curved. This has the potential to void my warranty… or am I missing something??

I wouldn’t be buying at Ikea except for the fact that my mattress is (the apparently very non-standard) standard or full size, which are rare in higher end stores.

Hi Unstuck,

You’re welcome! And congratulations on your new mattress. As you know, Dormio is a member of this site and I feel they compete well in quality and durability with the best in the industry.

IKEA still offers full sized foundations with flat slats. Here’s a link to the Espevar. Were you looking specifically for a slat-pack and not a finished foundation? You’d also want to make sure that your bed frame has a good center support.

If this isn’t what you were looking for, please let me know.

Phoenix

I feel silly admitting this, but I never understood what these foundations are. I’ve always had a foam mattress with a slat-pack underneath, never anything else, so I was afraid these foundations were too “solid” and would not allow breathability. But now that I look more closely… they are basically just slats-within-a-frame. The mattress will still be well enough ventilated?

• j

Hi Unstuck,

No worries. Many people confuse foundations, box springs, Bunkie boards, slats…In the simplest form, the foundation is a glorified riser.

Yes, you’ll be just fine.

Phoenix