Have you ever purchased from charles p rogers?

Hi!

I’ve tried a few dozen mattresses this week and my favorites have been the latex hybrids with coils from charles p rogers. In particular I liked the power core 5000 but at over 1000 even with a 20% discount it didn’t seem like a good value. I do like how they’re factory direct which I hope means top quality.

Are these really top end mattresses or should I look elsewhere? They claim they dont negotiate (but somehow have a 20% off sale), is there any other honest way to lower their prices?

Thanks!

Hi jqwer1,

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to “fine tune” a mattress or the exchange/return options that are available to you).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel for someone else or how other mattresses will compare in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) … outside of PPP (which is all about how well you will sleep on a mattress) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is it’s durability and a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it (which is all about how long you will sleep well) regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

As far as I know the Powercore 5000 uses a pocket coil with 1" of polyfoam on both sides of the pocket coil (and has polyfoam edge support as well). It also has 2" of Talalay latex and then a 1.5" thick quilted cover. The durability guidelines I would normally suggest using are listed in post #4 here and with only 2" of latex in the mattress I would want to know the density of the polyfoam that is used on top of the pocket coils (and in the edge support as well) to confirm that there isn’t more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality/density materials in the upper layers of the mattress (the 1" polyfoam layer in combination with the 1.5" in the quilting would total 2.5").

You can read more about Charles P Rogers in post #34 here (and the rest of the topic) and in this topic and this topic as well and a forum search on Charles P Rogers (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

If you tend to prefer innerspring/latex hybrid mattresses (and there are many who do … see post #13 here), outside of any other local options that may be available to you some of the better innerspring/latex options I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here that may also be worth considering as well.

Some of the other options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Monroe Township / Newark areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) including Charles P Rogers are also listed in post #7 here.

There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” value because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that are more or less important to different people that may be very different from someone else and because the “value” of a mattress purchase is always relative to how they compare to the other finalists you are considering or to the other mattresses that are available to you in the area or online based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Having said that … the Charles P Rogers mattresses are certainly in a “better than average value range” and are better quality/value than most of their more mainstream competitors and their prices are certainly reasonable.

They don’t negotiate but that is also the case with better manufacturers and retailers that sell their mattresses at fair prices every day of the year and don’t need the type of “fake sales” that are so common in the mainstream industry to be good value choices even at their regular prices (see post #5 here and this article)

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix