Have you measured your mattress ?

Hey guys,
I’m new to the forum. But I’m looking for your input/expertise and experience in the issue i’m having.

I purchased a Simmons Beauty Rest PillowTop King sized mattress…and I put it on a pedestal bed frame. Immediately it because apparent to me that something was wrong. The frame was huge compared to the mattress. Checked the size of the frame, it’s a king…cool. and it’s only made 1 inch bigger than the mattress size so i should I only have 1/2 inch gaps around the mattress in all direction…Well I was looking at almost 2 inch gaps.

Long story short, the mattress is SHORT. Measure the mattress it is almost 2 inches shorter than the industry standard sizing . A king is supposed to measure 76x80. I’m getting 74x78

It would appear that Simmon’s is skimping off a lil of their beds to save money…

Would any of you have happened to measured your bed or be willing to see if they measure what the industry standard dictates?

I have a queen sized Aloe Alexis from Brooklyn Bedding and it is exactly 60 x 80.
This isn’t the first time I have heard someone say their mattress is undersized…very frustrating.

I’ve been getting the run around from Simmons for a while now. I sent my story over to my local fox news station and got contacted almost immediately.

They’re interested in the story and will be conducting their research as well. But in the mean time, i need to find as many people that have the same issue as possible.

Hi krissrock,

Post #3 here has some information about “standard” sizing (which can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer) and also has a link to the Simmons standard size chart.

The standard size for Simmons for a king size is 76" x 79.5" +/- 1/2" so if it is less than 75.5" in width or 79" in length then it would be out of spec.

It’s also important to make sure you measure the mattress in between straight edges placed along the sides of the mattress rather than along the top surface which may be drawn in by the cover or tap edging. In other words it’s the widest length and width not necessarily the top surface length and width.

As you can see in this thread … there are others in the same situation who have received a mattress that is out of spec.

Phoenix

oh yah, I measured this mattress every way i could. I was putting the measuring tape under the mattress and across the middle. the 78x74 are those numbers from across the middle.

The delivery guy that came out looked at the mattress and found on the tag somewhere that it supposed to be 79.5 , which is what i found on the SImmons website…however the +/- 1/2 inch is news to me.

Either way, my length and width are not what they are supposed to be.

i’ll check those other threads out too

the take away from you posts is that there is actually no standard…

ok, then why do we have a standard naming convention…? I can understand there being tolerances between beds and different manufactures, but there’s obviously a standardization of sizes or there wouldn’t be a standard naming convention.

this is most certainly frustrating and i feel ripped off. I hope the Fox is able to dig in simmon’s ass over this. I just want what i paid for

Hi krissrock,

I think the naming conventions have evolved over time from the days of antique beds which could be made in almost any “non standard” sizes. There are also different standards across the world some of which use metric and some which use imperial measurements so in some cases it may be a matter of using components that are close to both rather than making products that are an inch or two different in different countries. Most manufacturers will list their standard sizes and tolerances and they are usually fairly close in each region where sizes may be different.

A twin is often 39 x 75 for example but since a king is 76 x 80 you will find many twin XL’s that are half the size of a king which is 38 x 80 (instead of 39 x 80 where a split king would be 2" wider than a king).

Full size is either 53 or 54 wide because you may get a UK double which is 135 cm wide (which is 53) and a manufacturer uses common components.

A close equivalent to a North American queen size in the UK is 150cm x 200cm which is about 59 1/16 x 78 46/64 which would be short in both dimensions.

So there is some close standardization but it’s certainly not exact and the normal +/- 1" tolerances are a side effect of working with soft materials which can end up being finished to slightly different dimensions.

If you buy a mattress that is out of spec according a manufacturer’s own standards then you would certainly have a good case for returning it.

Phoenix