Haynes Restonic Utopia Talalay Latex - anyone have any experience with this mattress?

Hi AT,

Yes ā€¦ sheets and pillows that are better at temperature regulation can certainly help with overall sleeping temperature.

The same general temperature regulation guidelines would apply for pillows as for mattresses. While I canā€™t make any specific suggestions for anything that you can ā€œfeelā€ because there are too many individual preferences involved and only your own experience can tell you whether any pillow works well for you ā€¦ there is more information about choosing a pillow in the pillow topic here and the other topics it links to that should be helpful.

There is also more information about sheets and bedding in post #7 here and the other posts and sources of information it links to that should be helpful as well. Natural fabrics such as cotton, linen, or silk or ā€œsemi syntheticā€ fabrics such as viscose rayon (made from bamboo, beech and other viscose sources) will generally be better at regulating temperature than synthetic fabrics such as polyester. Linen and Silk in particular are very good at regulating temperature.

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix for the advice.

I need to update the specs b/c I finally got the complete story:

Restonic Utopia Destiny:
about 13" height
6" precompressed soy based poly foam core - 27 IFD, 1.8 lb density
2.15" Natural Vita Talalay - 24 IFD
2.15" Natural Vita Talalay - 15 IFD
1.5" High Density Super-soft foam
1" gel-infused quilting
.5" silk and wool
Thin layer of fire blocker

Itā€™s really frustrating that I asked for this information several times and only am getting the full story now.

Phoenix - the rep says all materials are breathable, and should not cause heat buildup. What are your thoughts on that? If Iā€™m still struggling with a heat issue, is it because of these top layers above the Talalay?

Iā€™m still considering getting a Celsion 1" topper. Is is available anywhere other than Sleeplikeabear?

Iā€™m also considering getting either a coolmax mattress pad and/or a coolmax topper cover. Do you have any thoughts on the coolmax material for pads and covers?

Also - the rep said all foams and fibers they use are open cell and breathable. Iā€™m wondering if the fire blocker layer may be causing the heat build up - 3% Rayon fiber is listed on the law label, and I think I remember them saying they use Dacron, but I also remember a salesman saying something about wood pulp.

Hi AT,

Thanks for updating the specs ā€¦ and I agree that itā€™s unfortunate that you werenā€™t able to find them out before you made your purchase since the 2.5" of ā€œunknown densityā€ polyfoam on top of the latex in the quilting layers are thicker than I would normally be comfortable with and could be a weak link in the mattress.

All the foam that is generally used in mattresses (polyfoam, memory foam, latex foam) is open celled and ā€œbreathableā€ ā€¦ itā€™s just a matter of degree and ā€œhow breathableā€ they are. Quilting foam is generally more breathable than other types of polyfoam that are used deeper in the mattress.

I donā€™t think that there is much that I can add to my comments in post #18 here about tracking down temperature issues. Mattresses that use thicker/softer foam comfort layers will generally sleep warmer than thinner or firmer comfort layers since you will sink into them more deeply and they are more insulating.

The first place I would start with temperature issues is your mattress protector and your sheets and bedding (your mattress protector in particular has a ā€œsemi breathableā€ membrane which can certainly affect sleeping temperature for some people).

There is some information about Celsion in post #4 here and about Coolmax in post #17 here. I donā€™t think that any of these would be a ā€œmagic bulletā€ solution but they might make a small difference. The only way to know for sure whether they would make ā€œenoughā€ difference would be based on your own personal experience.

Rayon is a semi synthetic fiber that is made from some type of cellulosic material which includes bamboo and other types of wood pulp such as beech or eucalyptus. There is more about rayon in the post about sheets that I linked previously. It is generally very breathable and wicks moisture well so it wouldnā€™t generally be an issue with temperature regulation and would be similar to natural fibers.

Dacron is another name for polyester fiber. It would be more breathable than most foam layers since itā€™s a fiber but it can also sleep warmer than natural or semi synthetic fibers since it doesnā€™t absorb moisture as well as natural fibers such as cotton, rayon, or wool.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix

Iā€™m still thinking about getting a 1" Celsion topper. Just wondering do you know anywhere that you can buy the new Graphite-infused Talalay as a layer or as a topper? Do you have any thoughts on how Celsion would compare to Graphite-infused Talalay regarding heat retention and breathability issues?

Hi AT,

Not to my knowledge although you may wish to try Custom Design & Manufacturing of Latex Foam Products - Hamden, Connecticut to see if they can supply it.

While I donā€™t have any personal experience with comparing them ā€¦ they would probably be similar in terms of temperature regulation and the cover and your mattress protector and sheets would probably have just as big if not a bigger effect on temperature regulation than any differences between them.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix - I opened up the mattress to see what I am dealing with. I found about 2.5 inches of foam in the quilting layer (looks completely normal, Iā€™m not sure why they would call it gel foam.)

More disturbingly I found only one 2" layer of what is clearly Talalay. As you may recall this supposed to be Vita Talalay. The first layer has holes and is light colored. Under that I found an unidentifiable kind of foam with no holes whatsoever and a slightly yellower color.

Is it possible this second layer is nonetheless Vita Talalay?

Hi AT,

This could certainly be a weak link in the mattress if the quilting foam is lower density. According to their specs 1" of the quilting foam would be polyfoam that has some type of gel infused inside it. It would still ā€œlook likeā€ polyfoam.

[quote]More disturbingly I found only one 2" layer of what is clearly Talalay. As you may recall this supposed to be Vita Talalay. The first layer has holes and is light colored. Under that I found an unidentifiable kind of foam with no holes whatsoever and a slightly yellower color.

Is it possible this second layer is nonetheless Vita Talalay? [/quote]

No ā€¦ if there are no pincores in the layer at all then it wouldnā€™t be Talalay latex although it could be continuous pour Dunlop latex.

Phoenix

Thanks for the info.

A missing 2" layer of latex that was replaced by polyfoam is either manufacturing error or fraud. It does not have the feel, texture, or smell of either Talalay or Dunlop. Iā€™ve contacted the company and weā€™ll see how they proceed.

Hi AT,

Thanks for letting us know what you found inside your mattress ā€¦ and Iā€™ll certainly be interested in what they have to say about the ā€œmysteryā€ layer.

Phoenix

Ha! So much for Restonic being transparent!!! I have been at the 4 or 5 places around Rochester, NY that sell Restonics - they all play the name-change game, so you canā€™t compare the mattresses between stores, and confirm that this yearsā€™ model (with a new name) is the exact same mattress you tried on the showroom floor. The sales rep up here (Steve) hasnā€™t returned my calls or emails when I try to confirm what Iā€™m looking at. Some salespeople tell me that the contents of a model are different than what other salespeople tell me, and what you describe sounds like what they call a ā€œCamiaā€ or Interlude or Belize (???) up here. NONE of the stores up here sells a model called the Utopia.
Because of this, I am hesitant to buy one of their mattresses, and have been looking a little closer at Jamestown mattresses.

Hi Nuclearmomb,

Thanks for sharing your comments about the stores that are selling Restonic in your area.

Restonic is a licensee brand that is made by a group of private factories across the country but it certainly seems that the licensee factory in your area (Alliance Sleep Products) isnā€™t as transparent as some of the other Restonic licensees.

The only way to know whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress or to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses (and to bypass the ā€œname gamesā€) is by knowing the specifics of the materials inside it and if itā€™s not possible to find out reliable and accurate information about what is inside any mattress you are considering I would avoid it completely.

In addition to this if it turns out that your mattress contains different materials from what you were specifically told was inside it I would also insist on a refund.

These types of games are deceptive and are much too common in the industry and itā€™s unfortunate that your Restonic licensee appears to be contributing to the problem more than helping to solve it by accurately disclosing the specifics of the materials in any mattress they make regardless of the name of the model on the label.

I should also mention that itā€™s often the local stores themselves that are the biggest reason for the ā€œname gamesā€ since they all want to sell a mattress that they can ā€œdifferentiateā€ from their competitors who are selling the same mattress so that they can discourage meaningful comparisons so they tell their local manufacturer to make a mattress with very slight differences and a different name so that consumers canā€™t cross shop their mattresses.

Phoenix

Do you know which licensee factory is in my area in central Virginia?

Hi AT,

The Restonic licensees are listed here.

I believe that Johnson City Bedding Company is the licensee for Virginia but you may need to call them to find out for certain.

Phoenix

The Restonic Rep Iā€™ve been working with took complete responsibility for the situation. He had gotten the specs of the Destiny and the more expensive Nirvana mixed up and described to me the upper layers of the Nirvana rather than the Destiny. They are offering a full refund or to send me a 2" latex topper, I just have to decide which I want.

Hi AT,

Thanks for the update ā€¦ and itā€™s great to hear that they are taking responsibility for the information they provided you and are doing the right thing :slight_smile:

It may be worthwhile finding out the quality/density and durability of the polyfoam layer so you can make a more informed decision about what to do.

If your mattress is already a suitable ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of PPP then I would also be aware that adding a topper would also change the feel and performance of the mattress compared to the same mattress without a topper and the only way to know whether the mattress/topper combination will still be a suitable ā€œmatchā€ for you will be based on your own personal experience.

If your mattress is too firm then a topper could be a good option to add some additional softness and pressure relief although there is always some uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

If a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of PPP then it also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is likely) or if your needs or preferences change over time and a topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it as well.

Phoenix