HD Fitzgerald vs Latex Bliss Renew

I think I may be back in the market for a mattress. I do not think the Tufts and Needle we got online is going to work for us. Both my wife and I have terrible back pain, and typically neither of us that particular on mattresses. The T & N just way too firm though. Think I may be through with idea of purchasing online. Even though T & N makes the return process as easy as possible, still not pain free in the sense of time and aggravation. T & N does all they can, but I would still prefer to try in person first. Had I done this I am sure I would have passed on the Tufts and Needle to begin with - just not for us.

Since I am going to try the adjustable bed frame route I initially shied away from innersprings, but since that is all either I or my wife have slept on for decades I went back to look to see if I could find one that is adjustable base approved. The Dump highly touts a mattress made by Paramount mattress. The particular one I liked was the HD Super Duty Fitzgerald. Felt very nice in the store, has a 20 year non-prorated warranty, and supposedly designed to hold up to 400 lbs on each side (designed for pro-athletes supposedly). The company has also apparently partnered with a sleep expert, Dr Maas from Cornell, to design mattresses. I realize sales talk, but it did feel very nice in the store, and again, I like the idea that perhaps should stick with innersprings. Once the mattress goes out the door it is mine though. No sleep trial or return. About $2700 for split king arrangement.

Other option looked at was Pure Latex Bliss. Looked at Beautiful (a blend) and Renew (organic). I personally do not care whether organic or not, but the Renew did feel a little better. A little less bouncey toy feel in my mind, but both very comparable and soft. Even though the organic more expensive the warranty is shorter - apparently without a blend the organic latex more likely to develop hard spots. These would have an exchange policy, but are more expensive to begin with - 4 to 6 K for the split king route. Feel is different than I am used to, but they are soft, which I like, and I think I would get used to the springy feel. Also still tend to believe something other than innerspring would contour with the adjustments better than innerspring.

Looking for input or experience with these. Thanks.

Hi Basil,

I would be cautious with buying from liquidation or clearance stores like The Dump (see post #8 here) and at the very least I would check any mattress carefully for any evidence of use and make sure that it has a manufacturers warranty.

The Paramount HD mattresses generally use some higher quality/density materials inside them but the only way to know whether a mattress has any weak links in terms of durability is to make sure you know the specifics of all the layers and components inside it (see this article). Without knowing this information there isn’t any way to make any meaningful comments about the quality or the durability of a mattress. If you can find out all the information I would need about the type and quality of the materials and components inside it I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials and the mattress as a whole but it may be difficult to find the information that you need (see posts #5 and #6 here and post #2 here).

Both of these use Talalay latex which is a good quality material in any version and there are no weak links in either mattress but the Beautiful uses blended Talalay which is a little more durable in the softer ILD’s especially than the 100% natural Talalay made by Latex International. The latex in the Renew isn’t organic (there is no organic Talalay latex). The Pure Latex Bliss so called “organic” line uses wool in the quilting which would change the feel and resilience of the sleeping surface compared to the Beautiful which has a thinner knit cover with more stretch so you would be sleeping more directly on the latex. The 100% natural Talalay wouldn’t develop hard spots but it will get softer faster than the blend under the heavier areas of your body. They are also very costly compared to other mattresses that also use 100% natural talalay and have a wool quilted cover in the same thickness. Pure Latex Bliss has MAP pricing (minimum advertised pricing) so retailers can’t advertise lower pricing but if you do decide to purchase a Pure Latex Bliss mattress then post #32 here has a list of retailers that sell them online that may be able to supply the same mattress at lower prices (if you talk with them on the phone) that you could use for price or value comparisons.

Phoenix