Heading out on my mattress purchasing adventure (Vancouver, BC). Am I missing anything?

I still sleep on the same mattress I bought in college (primary motivation for it’s purchase was price) and decided it’s time to upgrade. My budget is not limitless but it’s unspecified as I’m open to idea that the perfect mattress will have a huge impact on my well-being.

Basics:

• 30 years old, 175 lbs. Primarily back sleeper
  • GF is same age, 115 lbs, Side sleeper

We visited a Sleep Country and she fell in love with the Dormeo Octaspring 6500 (~$1700). I was overwhelmed by the selection and underwhelmed by the salesman. Everything he said reminded me of working at Futureshop when people who didn’t know the product would use trademarks and euphamisms to get by. I asked for metrics and comparison frameworks to compare mattresses and he said they didn’t exist and the only matter was ‘how it felt’. It rubbed me wrong so I said I needed to do more research.

Thank god…I found this site.

I’m leaning towards a full latex/mostly latex mattress right now. Likely of a medium firmness (ILD). I’m going to head to Northwest Sleep to view what they have and keep the Octaspring 6500 in contention (can’t argue it was comfortable and supported well, I just have concerns about it retaining that)

Am I skipping a step?
Anyone local, is there another retailer I absolutely must visit?

Hi Sleepyinvancouver,

You may want to drop by Majestic Futon and check out their line of Canadian made latex mattresses from Nature’s Embrace

good luck in your search!

Hi SleepyInVancouver,

If you’ve read the information and you’re following the steps in the tutorial post then I would say you’re “on track” :).

The better options in the Vancouver area that I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here (and includes Majestic Futon).

Phoenix

Yes, I did check that list out. Thanks.

I appreciate all the advice available here. I admit the warranty thing almost had me fooled, I thought “doesn’t matter how it’s built, it’ll be covered if it fails” but I should know better that’s not how warranties on anything work.

I would say I have a good handle on how the quality of materials affects long-term durabilty (e.g. latex is apparently just great, foam is all about density etc) and that’s important to getting a bed that feels comfortable 5 years from now and not just today. What I wonder about is tests for the comfort. The spinal alignment I understand how to look for, what about pressure point support? How do I ensure my weight is being distributed well? Are there any tricks to knowing?

Hi SleepyInVancouver,

The mattress shopping tutorial includes some links to more information about testing a mattress for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) in step 4 that should be helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for all the advice.

Went with the GF to Northwest Sleep and bought a Rogue (http://www.northwestsleep.ca/photo-gallery/the-rogue.aspx)

It was a slight compromise for both of us as we had different preferences but it is extremely comfortable. Looking forward to the first few nights on it!

Hi SleepyInVancouver,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback once you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I remember being surprised at how differently the handling of warranty claims can be, between two retailers when they carry the same bed. One place will tell you to contact the manufacturer in a different state, one will handle claims in-house but charge inspection charges and delivery charges, while a third place (the best) will handle everything at no charge for as long as they sell beds from that manufacturer.