Heavy Side Sleeper needs Mattress Help

Hoping for a little help in deciding what new mattress to get.

I’m looking for a mattress for myself and my wife (but she will literally pass out on anything). I’m 6ft 260lbs so looking for something to support. Occasionally like sleeping on my back but primarily looking for side sleeping.

I usually like something more firm but of course want to be comfortable on my side too (while also ideally firm enough with my side for my back).

I’ve seen people mention DIY stuff on here but not looking to go down that road. Looking to spend under about $2,500 (closer to $1,500 ideally).

Please any suggestions would be great. Seems like there are so many options that this is difficult.

1 Like

Hi Brightconsequence,
Welcome as a new MUGster to the MattressUnderGround!

I was close to your size and weight a couple of years ago at 6’ 250+. Both my wife and I are primarily 80% side sleepers. At the time we chose the Brooklyn Bedding Plank Luxe. It has been a very supportive and comfortable mattress.

There are plenty of options out there, with made in the USA mattresses for larger folks that offer the type of support and comfort you might need.

@TheCleanBedroom has some nice options within their proprietary mattress line. They are excellent at matching the sleeper to the mattress with a wonderful success rate.

From personal experience, I recently purchased a @DLX premier hybrid. This mattress is a mattress that offers the ability to split the comfort layer to accommodate sleepers of different weight categories. The firm is quite supportive, even for me, and was a dream for my mother in law.

Then you have the variety of Latex options that you can collaborate with some of the other Trusted Members who also are keen on matching a couple’s body profiles and preferences and very successful at finding them a perfect match. @FloBeds uses an all Talalay Latex in their mattress models. @Sleep_EZ and @Arizona_Premium have hybrid options as does @My_Green_Mattress.

There are several folks like Shovlin Mattress and Gardner that will manaufacturer a traditional mattress to your precise specifications.

The DIY route is an option, and in your budget, the latex DIY pro’s are @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 and @Arizona_Premium.

While no one can say how you specifically feel on any mattress, collaborating with any of our Trusted Members who pride themselves in transparency and experience will go far to get you to your best night’s sleep with a bit more information.

I know that a few will chime in with some additional questions for you and your wife to pinpoint what might work best for your comfort level.

Good luck on your continued search!

Maverick

Hello, Bright Consequence, and welcome!
It sounds like you are looking for a mattress that is supportive and firm but with some cushioning because of the side sleeping.
Our Hudson Luxe is very supportive but has a topper to cushion it. It is in your price range (on sale) in a queen size. It has good quality materials; however, it cannot be customized side by side. If you are looking for an innerspring, our Soho is a pocketed coil mattress that minimizes motion transfer.

I tend to think that latex would be the better choice, as it tends to be more contouring, but of course, you may prefer innerspring.
Feel free to call anytime and we are happy to answer questions about options.
Best of luck to you!

1 Like

Hi Brightconsequence and welcome to the forums! I’d be happy to make a recommendation for you that works for your budget, I would just need to know what size of mattress you’re looking for (queen, king, etc.)

1 Like

Thank you for all of this useful info!

1 Like

Appreciate the recommendation!

2 Likes

@Sleep_EZ - looking for a Queen size. TIA!!

1 Like

OK great! Based on the information you’ve provided, I would normally recommend the 10" organic latex mattress - https://sleepez.com/product/organic-latex-mattress/ with medium Talalay for the top layer, medium Dunlop in the middle, and firm Dunlop for the bottom layer. The top Talalay layer should provide all the contour and pressure relief needed to avoid any pressure point issues and will add secondary support to the mattress. Secondary support is needed to fill in the gaps between your body and the mattress – back sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between the small of their back and the mattress; side sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between their mid-section and the mattress. If these parts of a person’s body aren’t supported by the mattress, their muscles will work throughout the night to hold these parts of the body up, and by the time they wake up they’ve got back pain. So the top 3” of Talalay latex will provide contour, pressure relief, and secondary support. The remaining Dunlop layers should provide all the support needed to maintain proper spinal alignment and avoid back pain. Please keep in mind that our initial recommendations have a 90% success rate (we only have a 10% layer exchange rate and a 3%-4% return rate) so there’s a 90% chance that the above recommendation works perfectly for you.

This mattress is fully customizable, meaning you can order the mattress to be as soft or as firm as you’d like. They’re also fully adjustable, meaning you can change the softness, firmness, back support, pressure relief, etc. AFTER you get the mattress in your home. To be more specific, the 10” is our most popular, and these mattresses normally go out with three 3" layers of different firmnesses - normally the softest layer (or the cushion & contour layer) is on top and the supportive layers are on the bottom. This helps ensure our customers get the right balance of contour for their hips and shoulders but also support for their lower back. If you start with a certain setup and find that it’s too soft, you can unzip the cover and rearrange the layers to get a firmer feel out of the mattress, or you can exchange a layer to make it softer. Additionally, latex mattresses typically last 20 years. If, in 5 or 10 or 15 years you decide you want a softer or firmer mattress you would only have to buy a new layer instead of an entirely new mattress. Lastly, if the mattress starts to break down in 15 – 20 years, it’s normally the top layer that breaks down first, and at that point you can likely just buy a new top layer of latex instead of a whole new mattress and get an additional 8-10 years out of the mattress.

Furthermore, queen, king, and cal king mattresses are available with what we call “split layers,” which means you can have us cut the layers down the middle (from head to foot) so that you can have a different feel / firmness on your side versus your partner’s side, and you can adjust each side independently over the 20 year lifetime of the mattress. About 95% of our mattresses go out with all split layers from top to bottom, and we get zero complaints on being able to feel the split and we get zero complaints about the layers shifting or anything like that, even if you sleep right on the middle of the mattress.

Just some things to keep in mind!

1 Like