Helix Midnight Luxe too firm, now what?

I’m a 5’ 9" 150 pound side sleeper. I tried the Helix Midnight Luxe and HATE it! It’s far too firm. Even after 60+ days of break in, a plush topper and crawling on the thing periodically, I’m waking up sore (especially on the should I slept on) and don’t feel refreshed. I feel as though I’m not able to sleep “in” the bed. It’s more like I’m awkwardly laying on top of it with my shoulders acting as a wedge. I work a physical labor job that’s hell on my knees and back so I NEED something comfortable yet supportive.

I’d like to avoid beds like TempurPedic as I sleep hot and tend to move around a bit through the night. My budget is roughly $3,000 USD. Hopefully that’s enough to get a quality bed that suits me.
Any ideas?

Hi MetalHead671,

[quote] I’m a 5’ 9" 150 pound side sleeper. I tried the Helix Midnight Luxe and HATE it! It’s far too firm. Even after 60+ days of break in, a plush topper and crawling on the thing periodically, I’m waking up sore (especially on the should I slept on) and don’t feel refreshed. I feel as though I’m not able to sleep “in” the bed. It’s more like I’m awkwardly laying on top of it with my shoulders acting as a wedge. I work a physical labor job that’s hell on my knees and back so I NEED something comfortable yet supportive.

I’d like to avoid beds like TempurPedic as I sleep hot and tend to move around a bit through the night. My budget is roughly $3,000 USD. Hopefully that’s enough to get a quality bed that suits me.
Any ideas?[/quote]
Sorry to hear the Helix bed is not meeting your expectations. As every sleeper is unique, their comfort on any mattress is based on their stats(height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and their PPP(posture and alignment, pressure relied=f and personal preferences)there is no way to tell which mattress will be compatible for you without trying it out.
You are correct, while it can take longer to break-in a mattress(which is why its always best to look for mattresses with 100 or more night trial periods), after 60 days you can generally tell when a mattress is just not working out. The Helix Midnight Luxe consists of Memory and Polyurethane foam, which though many consumers enjoy, many also avoid; Memory foam is not the most durable material, and can wear prematurely leaving ‘divots’ or worn areas which can affect spinal alignment and can cause muscle and joint pain.

If you have not already done so, you may want to take a look at theMattress Shopping Tutorial, as well as theMattress Specifications You Need To Know and the Mattress Durability Guidelines to better familiarize yourself with mattress components and how materials last over time. You may want to consider other types of mattresses, as memory foam is also known to cause consumers to sleep ‘hot’ due to the foam conforming to your body, and thus allowing perspiration to ‘pool’ which can raise temperatures for sleepers in some cases. You can see more on how mattress ‘microclimates’ factor into sleep in this post, and also post #29 here. You may want to try different mattress types at a local store or showroom and get an idea of what you may prefer and what types you want to avoid.

You have a very decent budget, and at a lower BMI, you have a lot of options. I tend to avoid major ‘big box’ retailers in general, since they have a lot of ‘hype’ and are often not very transparent with materials and specifications in their products’ reviews can likewise be very misleading. While we do not make suggestions, as everyone is different and its’ impossible to know what anyone else would find comfortable, you might want to take a look at the offerings of the
Trusted Membersof the site, as they have all been vetted to have transparency on the materials and components in their mattresses, are knowledgeable with great customer service, and have good trial warranty and return/exchange policies. By providing some little bit of information to them they can likely match you with a mattress that ‘checks all the boxes’ for you. If you have questions on specific mattresses you are looking at, we can possibly comment on those to help you find a mattress which will suit you.

I wish you success on your mattress buying journey!

~ Basilio