HELLO & Looking for recs on LA area manufacturers

First of all, hello to all on the site! I am new to the Mattress Underground but a long-time sufferer and searcher. A brief background on me and then I’ll get to my question.

Male, 49, 6’1", 165, narrow shoulders. Used to sleep great on a full futon mattress with little inner springs. But I don’t fit on a full so I traded up to a queen futon and was sold what was a poor quality and primitive foam mattress (queen). This was probably 10 years ago. After a few years I started waking up tired and sore every day. It got progressively worse so I finally bought a Stearns & Foster Cal King (pocket coil/foam top one-sided). Within a week starting having problems (back pain) and traded it in for a different make/model.

Thus began years of unsuccessful and expensive mattress purchases. Nothing works, either too “Firm” or too “Soft”; causing back pain of various types and still waking up exhausted (I’ve had a sleep test, negative - no apnea). All have been of the new-fangled type, same as the original S&T. It’s time to try something different, and I’m thinking a foam mattress will be my next purchase. I’ve tried a few memory foam mattresses and never been too crazy about them, so I’d like to test some latex beds. I am reading through the materials on this site, but in the meantime MY QUESTION IS:

Can anyone recommend - from personal experience - any manufacturers or sleep shops/retail outlets in the LA/SoCal area that are good places to try out/purchase latex mattresses? I found the list of SoCal manufacturers on this site but am hoping to hear some user feedback from experience.

ALSO, if I do decide to go latex, can anyone recommend from experience a brand or manufacturer that is of exceptional quality? I am looking for HIGH QUALITY that will not compress/break down prematurely. At this point money is all but a non-issue - I just want a high quality, durable mattress with the perfect “ride” for me so I can sleep through the night and wake up feeling great like I used to. Frankly, I’ll even travel out of state to find the right mattress if I need to.

Thanks so much in advance for your help. I found this site recently and greatly appreciate the amount of information and detail available here. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

JM

Hi jmatt101,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here.

I would keep in mind that the name of the manufacturer has nothing to do with the quality or durability of the materials in a mattress since all of them have access to the same sources of latex. Outside of PPP … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

You certainly won’t have to travel out of state since you have some great options available to you on the Los Angeles Region list (and there are others in the San Diego list here as well).

Phoenix