Help choosing a mattress, I have a sore back

I’m a male, 5’8" tall and 220 lbs.

What I find is that I need a firm mattress or my back will hurt in the morning. If a mattress starts to sag I can’t sleep on it anymore

A few years ago my innerspring mattress needed replacing. What I noticed is that when we would go on vacation in our rv I would sleep very well. The bed in the rv was a simple folding bed from Idea. So I went and bought the same mattress from ikea. I got some plywood and put it on my boxspring to make it as firm as possible. This worked OK for 6 months or so until it started to sag and my back would hurt.

For my next mattress I bought a morgedal foam mattress from ikea. It has lasted about 6 months and it is now at the point where I can’t sleep on it anymore. I am going to try and return it to ikea.

So I need a new mattress. I am considering get a firm gym mat and then a memory foam topper. I can’t see the mat sagging. It seems a little unconventional, but I am reluctant to spend a lot of money on a mattress when I have had such bad luck in the past

I would also consider a regular mattress. I would be grateful for any input

Thanks

Hi Heynow999,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, can guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Once you reach step 3 in the tutorial if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix