Help choosing between two IKEA slatted bed bases

Hi,

It is my first post here. Happy to find there is a knowledgeable community dedicated to the important subject of sleep and mattresses.

I’m in the market to buy a new bed and a mattress. I am still not decided on the type of mattress but that is a topic on its own… :silly:

I decided that I would like to get the IKEA Malm bed frame, which is on sale right now here at IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/pr...62/#/S39849860

Now subsequently, I need to select a proper base for the bed frame. Whoever is familiar with IKEA beds is probably aware that IKEA sells slatted bed bases as a mattress foundation as opposed to the common box spring.

I am interested in the “Sultan Lade” slatted bed base, it only costs $40 and looks like its a popular slatted base:

My only concern is that there is a gap ("2) between the slats. I’m aware that quite a few reviewers mention that the gap between the slats should not be no more than "2, which is the case here, which is good. Nonetheless, I’m afraid that the existence of such a gap might cause my future mattress to sag or lose its shape over time.

As an alternative Ikea also offers the “Sultan Laxeby” slatted bed base:

This slatted base looks more sturdy and the gaps between the slats are narrower. Only downside is that its costs roughly $85 more than the first slatted bed base and some reported that assembly might be troublesome, which is acceptable…

I wanted to ask whether purchasing the first cheaper slats is a safe choice? I still haven’t decided on the type of mattress that I’m planning to purchase while I am still contemplating between innerspring and memory foam. :unsure:
I just want to make sure that regardless of my selection, the wooden slats would not damage the mattress overtime…

So should I purchase the regular slats like many people do I assume? Is there a reason to worry when opting out for those slats or am I just being paranoid? Is it a better idea to invest another $85 and get the supposedly better slats?

Replies would be welcomed!

Hi suspent,

I would probably suggest first buying a mattress so that you can make sure that the support system you choose is suitable for the mattress. There is more about the types of foundations or support systems that are usually best with different types of mattresses in the foundation post here and the posts it links to.

My concern with the Malm bedframe would be that it doesn’t have center support to the floor under the steel center beam and I would want to check with the manufacturer of the mattress I purchased to make sure it meets their warranty criteria.

If you are looking at a slatted foundation or bedframe for a latex mattress then a rigid non flexing foundation or slatted bedframe would normally be the best choice and the distance between the slats should be a maximum of 3" and preferably less. If the support layer of your mattress is polyfoam (which would include most memory foam mattresses) then a little larger gaps would normally be fine (although less is still better) but I would always check with the manufacturer of the mattress you purchase to make sure a foundation or bedframe is suitable.

If you decide on one of their two flexible slat foundations then while they may provide even support and the gaps would probably be fine, I would also be aware that it may change the feel of the mattress compared to what you tested in a showroom if the mattress was on a rigid non flexing foundation or platform. Many memory foam mattress manufacturers also specify having a solid non flexing foundation or bedframe under their mattress so once again I would check with the manufacturer of your mattress to make sure that either one of these met the warranty criteria. I also don’t believe that either of them has any flex under the center beam which could mean that the center of the mattress may feel firmer than either side or you may feel a “ridge” in the center (depending on the type and thickness of your mattress). If you do choose one of these and it meets the criteria for the mattress you choose then the laxeby has a better support surface and also has the advantage of being adjustable under some areas of the body which can help to fine tune your mattress as long as the mattress was thin enough to feel the adjustments underneath it (and this would also depend on your weight).

Overall though … I would purchase the bedframe or foundation at the same time or after you purchased a mattress so you don’t have a bedframe or slat system that restricts your choice of mattresses and you can make sure that it’s a suitable choice.

If you decide on an innerspring then it would be even more important to make sure that your support system is approved by the mattress manufacturer and you may need smaller gaps than the Lade so that the springs aren’t over any gaps in the foundation or slat system and have good even support underneath them. In some cases an innerspring mattress may also have a box spring that is an integral part of the sleeping system.

In case you haven’t read it yet … the tutorial post here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible mattress choice … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

Big thanks for the elaborated reply Phoenix!.

I do realize that it is a backward thinking by buying the bed base first and the mattress afterwards. The particular issue here is that I have decided more than 6 years ago that I will be getting the MALM bed as I already have a dresser and a bed chest to compliment. The reason for getting the bed now is that I will be saving about $25 as it is on promotion at the moment.
So after reading your message this morning, I went to IKEA after work today and had the intention of buying both the Sultan LADE and the Sultan LAXEBY slats and returning one of the two within the 90 days return window, as I’m pretty sure that I will purchase a new mattress by then.

Beforehand, I wanted to consult the IKEA assistant clerk who was stationed within the bedroom section as to which slatted foundation is better. Without any hesitation, he recommended that I purchase the LADE slatted base and not the Laxeby. He told me the the Laxeby bed slats are just marketing and I would be better off by buying the cheaper LADE bed slats. When I inquired about the number of customers that opt out for the LAXEBY slats, he informed me that it is about 1%.
I know that the IKEA clerk is not the absolute authority regarding slatted bed bases, he could have said whatever he wanted, However he did confirm my point that the LADE model is more popular; this however can be due to it’s affordability…
Subsequently, I decided to purchase the LADE slats. I will have the option of replacing them to the LAXEBY model if the need arises within the next 90 days.

Based on Phoenix’s reply, I get the idea that a rigid bed frame (LADE) is better for latex and memory foam mattresses. I am actually more likely to go down that route as while reading mattress buying suggestions, the general consensus seems to be that memory foam and Latex mattresses are better quality than innerspring mattresses. There are however positive and negatives to each selection.
Even though I am not planning to buy a mattress at IKEA, I lied down on one of their more expensive mattresses today: Sultan EDSELE natural Latex mattress and I was quite impressed. I’m beginning to understand the appeal of latex and memory foam mattresses

I’m glad I completed Step 2 of buying a bed. Now I need to complete Step 1 of buying a mattress. :lol:
Going to use the posted links and reading the messages on this great site.

Hi suspent,

That would really depend on the quality of the materials in each mattress you were considering (especially the foam above the innersprings) because there are higher quality and lower quality materials in every mattress category. It would also depend on which mattress was the best match for you in terms of PPP. Some of the most knowledgeable people I know that could sleep on any mattress they choose sleep on an innerspring mattress (such as a pocket coil with latex comfort layers). Some innerspring mattresses are very durable and can be a great choice if they use good quality materials above the springs (although this isn’t the norm with most of the major manufacturers).

I’m looking forward to finding out about the mattress you end up choosing and of course any questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

OP, which slats/mattress did you end up selecting?
I am thinking of purchasing the ultimate dreams latex mattress and pairing it with the Sultan Lade slats on a Nyvoll bedframe and was wondering what your final experience was. Thanks!

I’ve used both of those bases. Started out with the cheaper flat version for a king size Malm bedframe and a memory foam mattress. Not sure of the specifics of the mattress as a friend worked at a company and ordered it for us. My guess is 5 inches of support foam and 3 inch comfort layer. No idea of the specifics. Bamboo cover. We’ve never really liked the mattress. I roll over a lot in my sleep and always felt like I was sunk down in a hole. The middle of the bed was definitely more firm and higher than the areas where we’d normally sleep.

We upgraded to the more expensive bedframe thinking the curved slats and adjustable zones would help us get out of the ruts we were sleeping in. It’s helped some.

I prefer the more expensive curved slats. It was a pain to put together, not hard just time consuming. The frame is also a bit heavy and screws together so you have to move it all around as one big piece at the end.

In the end we’re currently mattress shopping for an innerspring mattress. I’m not sure if this type of base is even correct for an innerspring. I’m hoping it is though because it keeps the bed low enough for our 20 month old to climb on and off easily.

Hi hdip,

In most cases it’s a good idea to check with a mattress manufacturer to make sure that a foundation you are considering matches their warranty criteria but the Ikea flexible slat bases on a suitable bedframe should be fine for most innerspring mattresses.

Phoenix

Hello again Phoenix,

I’ve purchased a PLB Nature bed and am considering an Ikea bed with the aforementioned slats with a 2" gap. Since I have a king sized bed, I plan on replacing the center support with a solid wood piece with 2-3 floor resting wooden support pieces. Do you know if this is enough to meet PLB’s warranty requirements?

Silly question: would it be possible to purchase an all wood slatted foundation box and use it with the Ikea bed? I realize this would be more costly than the likely plan I’ll proceed with yet I’d like to consider all possible options. There are slatted box foundations with minimal height (4-5"). Assuming it fit, I just don’t know if this would realistically work or just my imagination getting away from reality.

Thanks!

Hi lightwaves,

I would think that it would be fine in terms of being able to structurally support the mattress and it would be better than the standard foundations that PLB supplies for their mattresses (see post #44 here). You can see the PLB warranty here and IMO it certainly seems to fit their criteria.

Phoenix