Help choosing thickness for a latex comfort layer

Hello,

I am deciding on a mattress at the Quality Sleep Shop, It has an innerspring support core of 904 pocketed coils and a comfort layer of 3" of talalay,

I am 5’3, 120 pounds, pear shaped, and have extreme pressure-point problems in my shoulders from side-sleeping on a too-firm mattress (it is all polyfoam so not directly comparable). Before that, I had SI joint problems which immediately cleared up after getting rid of a mattress with cheap overly soft foam in the top layers that developed huge divots and no support. My husband is 160 pounds with broad shoulders. We are both side sleepers.

The owner recommended soft talaly (ILD 24). Unfortunately, only the medium level was available to try. I do feel we need a softer layer for better shoulder sinkage for my husband and me than the medium seemed to offer, but I am still wondering if a 2" comfort layer would be better, because people in my height and weight range on this forum have described 3" being too thick, i…e., their not weighing enough to feel the support of the lower layers, which is important to me given my proclivity to SI joint problems without good support.

It has been beaten into my head here that I will only know by actually buying it, but I would appreciate any thoughts about this concern of it being too thick for my “statistics.”

Thanks!

Hi MAybe54,

You really are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and as you’ve already read there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more information in post #2 here about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them.

When you can’t test a specific mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (such as Quality Sleep Shop) who can help “talk you through” the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about helping to “match” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences than anyone else (including me or any of the forum members here).

Phoenix