Help - continuing issue with Design Within Reach bed frame

Hello all -

I’ve posted before re: the Nest bed frame by Design within reach.

Nest bed: https://www.dwr.com/bedroom-beds/nest-storage-bed/1727.html?lang=en_US

This is a beautiful frame - has euro style bowed slats and is a storage bed. I tried two different Saatva mattresses and two mattresses from Bloomingdales (KLUFT and Shifman).

I had issues with all four mattresses. The center of the mattresses all felt WAY softer than the edges… and after 10-15 minutes I would have this feeling where I’m just “sinking” into the mattress. I posted about it a few times here, and my key takeaway was that since it had no center support down to the ground, that bed frame just wasn’t providing enough support.

I got rid of the nest frame (had to put it on consignment somewhere) and I got the DWR Matera bed (https://www.dwr.com/bedroom-beds/matera-bed/5114.html?lang=en_US) that appeared to be have far more support. Solid wood slats and a specification that it can handle 750 lbs of weight. It also had storage so we felt that would give it added support.

I tried two mattresses on this one (the shifman and Kluft) and they both had the same sinking issue, although they did feel much better than when they were on the Nest bed.

Am I just going crazy or do these DWR beds really just no provide enough support for innerspring mattresses? DWR usually has their Sonno mattresses (foam) that are super light and apparently nobody has these same issues that I’m facing.

Can anybody please help me decipher what is going on? I may just have to trash a $4K Kluft mattress that I can no longer return and go with the foam ones that DWR sells. This has been a nightmare since December. I would really appreciate any help / counsel.

Here is the link to the Shifman mattress: https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/shifman-metropolitan-york-firm-mattress-collection-100-exclusive?ID=3156193
And here is the Kluft: https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/kluft-royal-sovereign-ellis-firm-mattress-collection-100-collection?ID=3322491

Hey richkohan,

Welcome the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

[quote]I got the DWR Matera bed that appeared to be have far more support. Solid wood slats and a specification that it can handle 750 lbs of weight. It also had storage so we felt that would give it added support.

I tried two mattresses on this one (the shifman and Kluft) and they both had the same sinking issue, although they did feel much better than when they were on the Nest bed.

Am I just going crazy or do these DWR beds really just no provide enough support for innerspring mattresses? DWR usually has their Sonno mattresses (foam) that are super light and apparently nobody has these same issues that I’m facing.[/quote]

You have been dealing with this “frame frustration” for quite awhile now, Rich. After reviewing your previous post #1 “Ottoman bed with wooden slats- central support required?”, I see that both Phoenix and an expert trusted member have commented at length regarding your situation, and the one thing I had planned to recommend you try, they have both suggested as well: put the mattress on the floor for a week or so and see how it feels/ if you still experience “sinking into” it. You did say that your bedroom’s space prohibited that experiment; however, trying the mattress on the floor is the one way to know which is the problem, the mattress or the frame. Several questions for you: what size mattress do you have, what is your height/ weight and have you contacted DWR directly for product support?

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi Sensei,

Yes - it’s been quite a bout and my back is killing me.

This is a king size mattress and I’m 6’0 / 180lbs. I’m the only one who sleeps on the bed.

Given I had tried four mattresses on the Ottoman, I thought that made it clear that it was the frame issue. I really thought this new frame with the solid slats would solve the issue, but I was naive enough to think once again that not having center leg support wouldn’t be an issue. This new frame has storage below and specified it can handle 750lbs of weight on top, so I thought it would be fine.

I have discussed this DWR and even though they are somewhat sympathetic, they claim they have never had any issues with any customers on any of these bedframes.

The question I really have is - is it possible that these beds just can’t handle heavier innerspring mattresses (when I say heavy, I mean 130lbs+ for a king) and that their own Sonno / foam mattresses are the only type of beds that really work with their frames?

I’m about to order a Sonno foam mattress from them to test that out (has 100 day guarantee), but this means I’m about to discard a $4K mattress that I just bought.

• Richard

And the one other odd thing I wanted to note… Is that when I get into bed every night the mattress feels like heaven… it’s perfect… 15 minutes later I can start feeling a bit of a sinking… and then I wake up in the morning with terrible lower back back and what feels like zero support from the mattress. This cycle continues to happen every single night.

Hey Richard,

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile: .

[quote]Given I had tried four mattresses on the Ottoman, I thought that made it clear that it was the frame issue. I really thought this new frame with the solid slats would solve the issue, but I was naive enough to think once again that not having center leg support wouldn’t be an issue. This new frame has storage below and specified it can handle 750lbs of weight on top, so I thought it would be fine.

I have discussed this DWR and even though they are somewhat sympathetic, they claim they have never had any issues with any customers on any of these bedframes.

The question I really have is - is it possible that these beds just can’t handle heavier innerspring mattresses (when I say heavy, I mean 130lbs+ for a king) and that their own Sonno / foam mattresses are the only type of beds that really work with their frames?[/quote]

I totally get your frustration here; you have had four premium mattresses with the same performance issues on the same bed frame. From Design Within Reach’s web site, attached is an image of the Matera bed frame, please see image below:

There is center support of this frame, as well as 16 solid ash slats, .5" each mounted over the frame. If your frame is of this same construction, it would seem that sufficient center support would be provided for any of these mattresses. The only way to know where the point of failure lies is by placing the mattress(s) on the floor, spending several nights on each for comparison and if you’re still having the same discomfort, the problem is with the mattress. As far as whether DWR designs a bed frame with preference to their mattress’ performance, probably not. Generally speaking, mattress manufacturers will state clearly what foundations are acceptable for their components, and furniture manufacturers will state clearly the performance specs that their bed frames can support.

Hopefully you will have a better result with this trial, Richard. Definitely interested in hearing how things go and wishing you better sleep soon.

Thanks,
Sensei