Help deciding between Select Foam Regalis and Christeli Danieli or Charleston

We’re looking for a mattress that feels similar to the 13.5" Tempur-pedic Rhapsody Luxe model (Macy’s showroom 6-month break in). It’s marked as medium-firm, but it feels much softer due to the 2" 7LB (?) top layer. We are both side sleepers, but I’ve converted to being a back sleeper due to the current mattress being too firm to be comfortable on my side. My fiance tosses and turns frequently throughout the night. I’ve been looking at many of the recommended companies and can’t seem to decide between these few. Perhaps you guys have a better option for me? My budget is $2000 for a King sized mattress. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi yoshirider,

Just in case you haven’t already … I would make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

In the optional “online” step there is a link to some of the better online memory foam retailers and manufacturers for memory foam mattresses (which you may already have read as well since both Select Foam and Christeli are included).

If you have done some careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post and are confident that the Tempurpedic Rhapsody Luxe is the best “match” for you out of all the local mattresses you have tested (or out of the Tempurpedic lineup) then several of the manufacturers/retailers that are listed there make a mattress that uses the Rhapsody Luxe as a reference point including … Select Foam, Christeli, and Brooklyn Bedding. Most of the others that specialize in memory foam mattresses would also be familiar with the Tempurpedic lineup and would also be able to provide you with good guidance about which of their mattresses would be closest to the Rhapsody Luxe or would have the best chance of being a suitable choice for you. There is also more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here that may be helpful.

When you can’t test a specific mattress in person then the best way to decide whether a mattress would be a suitable choice for you would be based on a more detailed conversation on the phone with each of the manufacturers you are considering. This is one of the most important parts of any online purchase. Since an online purchase can be riskier than a local purchase that you can test ahead of time … the options you have after a purchase to exchange or return a mattress and any costs involved may also be a more important part of your decision and the “value” of a purchase. This can help you decide whether a purchase is inside your range of “risk tolerance” just in case your sleeping experience indicates that your mattress isn’t as suitable for you as you hoped.

Once you have narrowed down your options to choices between “good and good” (mattresses that you believe are a good match for you and that use good quality materials that have no weak links) and you are at the point where there are no clear winners between your finalists then your final choice (see here) would be based on how you feel about your conversations with each of them and your “best judgement” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Here’s my update: We ended up ordering the Select Foam Regalis. It has been 2 and a half weeks since the order was placed and the mattress still has not shipped even though the status on the website says shipped. My credit card was already charged too. I have called customer service twice and both times they said some unprofessional things, blamed another department, and kept assuring me that they would send me a tracking number when it shipped. We are getting really tired of sleeping on our make shift bed :(. Has anyone else had their mattress shipped recently? If so, when did you order the mattress?

Hi yoshirider,

I called Matt who is one of the owners (as I usually do when there are any issues that come up on the forum with a manufacturer or retailer that I know) and he told me that he wasn’t aware of any issues with the Regalis in terms of any delays in manufacturing or shipping and he said he would find out what was happening.

While Select Foam certainly makes some good quality/value mattresses … they do have some issues which they need to address with their after sales service that are frustrating (some examples are in post #8 here).

Hopefully the reason for the delay in your order can be tracked down and fixed quickly. At the very least it should only take a single phone call from a customer to find out the specifics of why any order is delayed and if they can’t find out why on the first phone call then they should be able to find out and call you back with specific information by the next day at least without any need for any followup calls on the part of the customer.

I would appreciate it if you can let us know when they have contacted you with a resolution to the shipping delay (either confirming that it has been shipped or telling you more specifically when it will be shipped). Their “normal” shipping time is 5 - 10 business days after a customer places the order (see here) so you are certainly outside the norm and IMO they should be resolving these types of issues more proactively and more quickly than they do.

Phoenix

Yoshirider, did select foam ever contact you regarding your mattress? I placed an order on the 14th for a memory foam topper, and have yet to receive shipping confirmation although I was told last week it would ship by the end of the week (passed) and today when speaking with Peter was told today or tomorrow. Hopefully this is the case, as their FAQ say three days to ship and 7-10 until receipt. Funny thing is, I got a survey from them today on my experience and asking for a review. This company seems like they make good quality and value products, but seem to have some issues in overall delivery of service.

Sorry, I forgot to update the thread. Order was placed Sept 1st. I received a shipment notice from FedEx on Sept 19th. It was delivered on Sept 25th. So far the bed seems to have a lot of support, but the first few nights we were not able to sleep on our sides at all. I’ve learned to just sleep on my back and I haven’t had any back problems from mostly sleeping on my back on this mattress so far. The mattress looks slightly lopsided from the side view (sloping inwards from top to bottom). I thought it would fix itself out after it decompressed, but it didn’t. I’m not sure if this is normal.

Hi yoshirider,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it.

I’m not sure if this is “normal” either. Could you post a picture that shows what you mean?

If you have any concerns though I would certainly send them pictures and call them as well.

Phoenix