Help finding a mattress

Hi I’m looking for some help on trying to find a good mattress. Currently I sleep on a futon with a memory foam topper. Unfortunately the mattress is just too firm and I’m ready to upgrade. I’ve been enjoying the topper, and from the mattresses I have tried, I’m leaning towards a memory foam mattress, which I understand to be better on pressure points for side sleepers anyways.

I’ve read around both this site and another site’s buying guide (that’s how I found out about this site!). Most stores I’ve looked at around me are really expensive mattresses including the tempur-pedics, like $2000-$4000. My budget range is around $400-$800. And my bed is going to be here soon, so I’m hoping to find a mattress to fill it soon!

At mattress firm I found one that wasn’t too firm and felt pretty good. It was a Serta Kales. I think this mattress is probably the equivalent. They couldn’t tell me anything about it in store and wanted it for $854 with $100 off on top of it. I’ve had bad experiences with Serta in the past though with the products not lasting long or quickly becoming uncomfortable. I’ve also been reading reviews on this Sleep Innovations mattress, but don’t know too much about the differences in material.

My biggest problem is that the stores around me are overpriced and have no details on their mattresses. Can anyone help me figure out a mattress?

Hi jcl007,

The best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice in any budget range … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including mattress firm or any of the major brands).

Two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are close to you.

The tutorial also includes two links to lists of the better online choices I’m aware of and post #4 here will also be helpful for those that are in lower budget ranges.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the information. I ended up ordering the Leesa mattress. It sounds good, we’ll see how it is when it shows up!

Hi jcl007,

While it’s not a choice that I would generally suggest because of the 2" layer of lower density 3 lb memory foam they use in their mattress and the higher risk of durability issues … if the Leesa is the best match for all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you in spite of the higher risk of potential durability issues then at least you have made an informed choice which in the end is what really matters the most.

I hope that your new mattress works out well for you in both the short term and in the longer term as well.

Phoenix

I was looking around the forum about mattress protectors (as they seem recommended), and I have a question. Can they really affect how hot the mattress is? The mattress I ordered (Leesa) recommended a few of these, and one was the Five-5ide (polyester) by Malouf. I actually like that brand (well I love the pillow I got from them) and was looking at their cheaper Sleep Tite that has a cotton cover. There are some complaints about it being hot. Is this the protector or more likely the mattress the person is using?

Thanks again for all the help.

Hi jcl007,

Yes … the type of mattress protector you use is one of many things that can have a noticeable effect on sleeping temperature. There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and the tradeoffs involved in each of them in post #89 here and there is also more detailed information about the many variables (including your protector and your sheets and bedding) that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here and the other posts it links to.

Phoenix