Help finding the “right” mattress, difficult stats

I want to thank you upfront for your help. I’ve been struggling to find the right solution for me. They seem ok until about 6 months in, then issues with uncomfortable sleep, hip pressure, and pain. I have tries latex mattresses in the past both full latex and hybrid (Sachi Organics and Denver Mattress) and like the way they feel. ABQ has very limited choices. They only had medium to test and with my stats I don’t think it is correct, they seem a little soft. I choose my current mattress because of the latex but was on a tight budget and it failed miserable in a little over a year (now year 4).

Stats:
F 5’ 1.5", 210-255, BMI 41-42, Gaps - Curvy side/hip 4 1/4", Back 3" (If I did this correctly)
Sleep Position - Combo Back/Side
Current Mattress - dreamfoam Ultimate eurotop latex (ILD 28). No support, sleeps hot.
Other - I sleep hot, have pain, need pressure relief. Prefer a slightly soft feel but not sunk so I cannot move and I don’t like the feel of sleeping on top.
Budget - about 1200.00 (some flexibility)

After some research (great site info.), I’m leaning towards a latex hybrid. I think it will sleep cooler, help with pressure points and last a few years. I also like that I can change out layers if the wear out.

Best Guess - I’ve looked at your trusted members list and found a few similar builds for about the same price (within budget) with current sales. These are also similar to the hybrid I tried at Sachi)
AZ Premium, Flexus Comfort, Latex Mattress
8" Coils (various), 3" Latex, cotton/wool cover
Luma & SleepEZ have slightly different versions
I also looked at DIY hybrid with 4" latex (2x2)

Questions/Concerns (based on my stats)

1. Which version of coils is better (QE Combi-zone, QE Bolsa, or ?)
  2. Would 3" latex be enough or do I need more? If yes, should I go with one of the preconfigured 3" ones and add a 2" topper (no 1" on the sites) or create a DIY? Which ILD(s)/combination, type, inches would make sense? I was thinking Frim for 3" or if layers firm bottom, medium top.
  3. Would Dunlop or Talalaly or Dunlop work better or would a combination if applicable?
  4. The covers are all cotton/wool for the preconfigured and per this site these covers make the mattress sleep firm (on top). Would it make sense to get another cover like cotton or just remove the top of the cover?
  5. I’m open to all latex as well; I’m just concerned about sleeping hot and the weight of the mattress although I believe hybrid is only a little lighter. Turning heavy mattresses are difficult for me.

I’m struggling to understand what I need as per the site weight an curvy seem to have opposite choices. Please let me know if I’m on the right track and if I’m asking the correct questions. any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

Hey Frustrated21,

Welcome to TMU’s forum :slight_smile: !

I like your username Frustrated21 but am sorry to learn from your intro that it seems derived from the problematic mattress choices made in the past. It is good that you’ve made showroom visits and have tested mattresses, but you may need some guidance on fine-tuning how to shop for a mattress. You’re on the right track in sensing that medium firmness mattresses feel softer to you, that is in keeping with higher BMIs and curvier body profiles’ perception of lower density materials feeling softer. Here is a little extra credit assignment that will help you with future research: Phoenix’s “Five Steps to Your Perfect Mattress”. This article discusses how to test a mattress for pressure relief of comfort materials and for support and proper spinal alignment.

[quote]Stats:
F 5’ 1.5", 210-255, BMI 41-42, Gaps - Curvy side/hip 4 1/4", Back 3" (If I did this correctly)
Current Mattress - dreamfoam Ultimate eurotop latex (ILD 28). No support, sleeps hot.
Other - I sleep hot, have pain, need pressure relief. Prefer a slightly soft feel but not sunk so I cannot move and I don’t like the feel of sleeping on top.
Budget - about 1200.00 (some flexibility)[/quote]

The Dreamfoam Ultimate Eurotop Latex mattress features a 3" Talalay latex comfort layer over an 8" HD foam/ 2 lbs. per cu.ft. support core. Its bamboo cover also has 1.5" of a proprietary reflex foam stitched into the top cover. You mentioned earlier that this mattress “failed miserably in a little over a year” and that it is now four years old. What are you using as a foundation?

[quote]After some research (great site info.), I’m leaning towards a latex hybrid. I think it will sleep cooler, help with pressure points and last a few years. I also like that I can change out layers if the wear out.

Best Guess - I’ve looked at your trusted members list and found a few similar builds for about the same price (within budget) with current sales. These are also similar to the hybrid I tried at Sachi)
AZ Premium, Flexus Comfort, Latex Mattress
8" Coils (various), 3" Latex, cotton/wool cover
Luma & SleepEZ have slightly different versions
I also looked at DIY hybrid with 4" latex (2x2)
[/quote]

Thanks for considering a mattress purchase from one of our trusted members :slight_smile: . All of the above latex hybrids are well-crafted mattresses with adjustable comfort layers, and any of these manufacturers would be happy to help you select personalized choices too.

[quote]Questions/Concerns (based on my stats)

1. Which version of coils is better (QE Combi-zone, QE Bolsa, or ?)[/quote]

That’s a tricky question and one to ask of one of the trusted members. Generally speaking, high BMI individuals find the QEE Combi-zone unit too firm for side sleeping due to the center / firm-zoned coils where their hips rest. The QEE Bolsa coil unit is a medium gauge/ softer coil that is not recommended for higher BMI individuals as it will not meet their support needs. There are hybrid mattresses out there suited for a wide variety of folks, but probably neither of these two coil units would serve you well from a support standpoint.

[quote]2. Would 3" latex be enough or do I need more? If yes, should I go with one of the preconfigured 3" ones and add a 2" topper (no 1" on the sites) or create a DIY? Which ILD(s)/combination, type, inches would make sense? I was thinking Frim for 3" or if layers firm bottom, medium top.
[/quote]

3" should be enough comfort material but how you proceed is more of a personal feel preference. I’m curious about your choice of latex though, as you say above that you “don’t like the feel of sleeping on top”; can you please clarify whether you do or do not like latex’s comfort feel? That is one latex’s better known qualities of providing an uplifting, buoyant feel to the user.

Dunlop latex is a firmer, more dense latex that gives a supportive feel. Talalay latex is a lighter, more conforming material that provides a more plush feel. Both latex foams have an uplifting response (Talalay latex being a little more springy/ lively). Again, either or a combination of both make good choices, it is a personal preference how you decide.

You’ll want to keep encasements intact, as they serve to protect the mattress contents and removal will likely void any future warranty claims. Because natural fibers have less resiliency and elasticity than other materials, they require a degree of “breaking in”; with a month or so of use, any amount of top side firmness should subside.

What size mattress will you be purchasing? An all-latex mattress is quite heavy, and depending on how much latex a hybrid contains, they can be fairly heavy too. Periodic turning of mattresses can help prolong their useful life, so it’s a good idea to program a date for that into its maintenance schedule. At least, flipping of these mattresses isn’t required.

Your research process is sound and you are asking good questions, Frustrated21. You may want to check out Phoenix’s “Mattress Specifications You Need to Know”, this article provides a checklist of durability questions for discussion with your manufacturer/ retailer of choice.

Please feel free to consult with any of our trusted members with more specific questions regarding any of the above-mentioned models you have an interest in, and good luck with your research :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi Sensei,

Thank you for the advice.

Thanks I plan to use that when I get my new mattress.

[quote]Stats:
Budget - about 1200.00 (some flexibility)[/quote]
I notice I made a typo should be 210-225 - not sure it really matters that much same general range.

I have a US Spring Box wood foundation.

I think I was using the term incorrectly; I don’t like sleeping on something that feels like the floor. I definitely like the latex feel and conforming but not sinking like memory foam.

[quote]5. I’m open to all latex as well; I’m just concerned about sleeping hot and the weight of the mattress although I believe hybrid is only a little lighter. Turning heavy mattresses are difficult for me.

What size mattress will you be purchasing? An all-latex mattress is quite heavy, and depending on how much latex a hybrid contains, they can be fairly heavy too. Periodic turning of mattresses can help prolong their useful life, so it’s a good idea to program a date for that into its maintenance schedule. At least, flipping of these mattresses isn’t required.[/quote]
I’m looking for a Queen mattress. With latex do you rotate all the layers or just the top? How often?

Thank you.

After some more consideration and research, I think I’ve been persuade that all latex will be the way to go for my stats. I reached out previously to AZ Premium and Latex Mattress Factory for some information on hybrid and all latex. They had options that gave me flexibility for stats and were within my price range (during sale).

Latex recommendations were.

AZ Premium
All latex Naturalux with Medium dunlop core and
Medium 3" Talalay top

Latex Mattress Factory
3" of medium Talalay over
3" of firm Dunlop over
3" of extra firm Dunlop,
and then you can order our 9" cover to hold the layers together.

They seem to me rather different. Does a solid 6" of latex act differently then 3" layers? Would it be easier to rotate 3" layers rather than a 6" layer?
Looking for some perspective and If I should ask any other questions?

Thanks,
Frustrated21

Hey Frustrated,

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile: .

With most all-latex mattresses, rotating the entire mattress regularly is generally recommended. If you purchase one with adjustable layers, it is possible to open the zippered cover flip the top layer occasionally as well, if recommended by the manufacturer.

[quote]After some more consideration and research, I think I’ve been persuade that all latex will be the way to go for my stats. I reached out previously to AZ Premium and Latex Mattress Factory for some information on hybrid and all latex. They had options that gave me flexibility for stats and were within my price range (during sale).

Latex recommendations were.

AZ Premium
All latex Naturalux with Medium dunlop core and
Medium 3" Talalay top

Latex Mattress Factory
3" of medium Talalay over
3" of firm Dunlop over
3" of extra firm Dunlop,
and then you can order our 9" cover to hold the layers together.

They seem to me rather different. Does a solid 6" of latex act differently then 3" layers?
[/quote]

Not exactly. One difference would be is if the 6" latex core is of a different firmness than the comparable 3" layers, resulting in a different support feel. In the case of the 3 layers X 3" thickness, the second one would serve as a transition layer, allowing the body to conform with the top 3" Talalay layer before reaching the extra firm 3" Dunlop support layer beneath. In other words, a solid 6" latex support core vs. 3" layers would not “act”/ support you differently, all other conditions being equal.

You need only periodically rotate the mattress itself, not uncover and remove the components individually for rotation.

Feel free to use our “Ask an Expert” forum for more specific guidance from either of these trusted members. You may reach oout to Arizona Premium Mattress here and Latex Mattress Factory here. Looking forward to your updates and thanks :wink: .

Sensei