help. Going on 4th mattress

Hi! This site rocks!
So, Vera wang was too soft, sunk in it and itched nightly. I not tuft and needle, great services, my poor back hurt. So I bought a Casper, worse than tuft and needle. I read about the St Regis on Thisoldguy- and thought maybe…I sleep on my side, vegan yogi. I need natural, or chemical free, the off gazing, no! Basically, I prefer firm support, but my hips and shoulders hurt with these last two mattresses, and Charles P Togers is too far to test. I live in Syracuse, Ny-Serta city!!! Any ideas please and thank you!!! : )
Marni

Hi Marni,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time finding a suitable mattress that you sleep well on.

None of the mattresses you tried use natural materials or are chemical free although they all use materials that are CertiPUR-US certified so most people would consider them to be “safe enough” even though they contain synthetic materials.

There is more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials and components that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

There is also more about CertiPUR and some of the other “safety” certifications in post #2 here. It has nothing to do with the quality, durability, or value of a mattress.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Syracuse, NY area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

If you are also interested in other online options then the tutorial also includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types of mattresses in a wide range of budgets.

Phoenix