HELP! I need a mattress and I'm sooooooo lost

I’ve been reviewing this subreddit for months, and while I’ve learned a lot, I also feel completely overwhelmed with information and am experiencing decision paralysis…

I’m coming off/currently on a winkbed luxury firm which has SUCKED. It sags everywhere, sleeping on it is becoming unbearable. I’m a 90% side sleeper with a little back and stomach mixed in. I’m 6’4’’ and about 230-240 pounds.

After the horrible winkbed experience, my plan was to get the most high end mattress I could afford. I chose the Avocado Luxury Organic Ultra plush box top. I went to the store and tested it out. While it didn’t immediately feel like the four seasons bed (which is the vibe I’m going for) I figured with the one year trial, what do I have to lose…

However, when my shipping time changed from 3 - 5 days to 3 weeks, I called the company. And what I experienced in talking to multiple people at this company was not confidence inspiring to say the least. Candidly the company is so disorganized, it’s a total smoke and mirror shit show. Everyone there has a completely different story to tell, accountability falls upon no one in particular and the people who work there truly have no idea what the hell is going on within the company. I couldn’t possibly bring myself to spend 6k with them after what I had seen, so I cancelled the order. I could write a separate essay ranting about the horrific experience dealing with this company and why you shouldn’t give them your business; if you’re considering, proceed with extreme caution.

Anyway…NOW WHAT?

During the process of dealing with avocado, I educated myself on DIY mattress and realized I could probably build myself a better mattress than the avocado for less than half the price. However time is money and time is an issue. Here are the 3 options I’m weighing…

1. DIY mattress
  2. the level of experimentation + number of different items needed to order is an issue. But I’d love to hear suggested DIY setups based on the above described preferences if anyone has suggestions
  3. Custom mattress from a local mattress company that’s not a nationwide chain
  4. this would probably be about one half to two thirds of the price of the avocado, but when layers wear out, they can get replaced
  5. Brooklyn bedding aurora luxe + cloud pillowtop + or some other option like this from a big brand
  6. i would be doing option 3 basically with the understanding that I’ll need to replace mattress in a few years but at least spend a lot less upfront

I know this is a lot but would be so appreciative of anyone who would be willing to weigh in! Thank you!

Hey Bernie and welcome to the Mattress Underground & becoming a new MUGster.

I’m sorry to hear about your Avocado experience. If you’re a fan of avocados, consider checking out @My_Green_Mattress for a potential alternative.

Here another couple facing similar mattress challenges, there’s a recent post about a couple dealing with mattress selection issues. Check out this thread.

In the price range you mentioned, you might want to explore options beyond Avocado for higher quality. @TheCleanBedroom offers a variety of luxurious, quality choices. For a personalized experience focusing on individual body sections, @CST provides ultimate analysis and accommodation. @FloBeds offer the complete Talalay latex experience with some customization options. @CozyPure can offer you a customized experience with comfort for each sleeper.

If you’re interested in pre-built or DIY solutions, Arizona Premium, Sleepez, and Latex Mattress Factory provide options for creating your own mattress system.

Rest assured, you’ve come to the right place. Our Trusted Member experts (TM’s) are ready to collaborate and assist you in crafting the perfect mattress.

Hopefully this will give you a running start,

Good luck and we are always here to answer you specific questions.

Maverick

Thank you so much Maverick!

I was actually close to pulling the trigger on this mattress based on reading your post in a different thread…

I’d be getting the 13 inch but requesting it as a 10 with a 3 inch topper

Do you feel like flo bed, CST, cozy pure, clean bedroom are going to offer better options than the one above from sleep ez?

Thank you again

1 Like

Thank you to @Maverick for the mention. For 6K, there would be several options available, most with customization. Most of the customizable beds also offer a swap out option for the first 90 days so if the bed is too soft or too firm, you can adjust it. And as you said in #4, when layers wear, they can be replaced at a fraction of the cost of a new mattress.

If you are thinking latex, Obasan is not as well known a brand, but the beds are very high quality, customizable (zone, side and layer, depending on the model) and have the swap out option for 90 days. Also, the Healthy Choice brand is a good customizable latex option, a little lower in price and we also own that company. Naturepedic has hybrid mattresses (springs+latex) in five different firmnesses; also a national brand, high quality, and swap option available.

We deliver nationwide, and if you talk with one of our staff on the phone, they are quite helpful in identifying options (our Google reviews attest to this).

All the best to you as you search - for the amount you are spending, you should have some good options!

They all offer excellent options. Ultimately, you will be the decision maker of what is best for you.

Your budget, personal preferences and importantly, gut instinct.

I would review your choice with one of the folks @Expert-SleepEz and verify you body profile matched to the mattress.

thank you. what are your thoughts on all talalay vs a combo of dunlap and talalay?

1 Like

Thank you! What am I getting from, for example, a high end obasan or healthy choice latex mattress for 5k+ that I wouldn’t be getting from the sleep ez full latex that’s just under 3k?

1 Like

Probably the same thing but way lower cost. I think Obasan is cut into 1/3s though.

John

@BillyIdol, yes, you are correct. The Obasan models are customizable by layer and side of the bed, like Sleep EZ. They also have zones (the 3 way cut mentioned) for shoulder, hip, and feet to customize the feel. This is really helpful for those who need more support in their hip area but want more give in the shoulder area, for instance. Other differences:

Obasan is all Dunlop, but they are able to soften it so that it cushions the top layer. There is no talalay latex in an Obasan mattress, and the wool is all organic.

Depending on the model, the same materials and zoning would be true of a Healthy Choice mattress.

If the price point is a concern, our Hudson and Hudson Luxe are also high-quality beds. However, they do not have the 3-section zoning but remain quite comfortable for someone who doesn’t need it.

Of course, there are periodic sales as well that help with pricing.

1 Like