Help....I'm allergic to my newish mattress

Hi TechieTechie.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Adding a Naturally Nestled topper to add comfort to a firmer sleeping surface is a good call but regarding your “allergy” you may want to dig a little deeper to find out what is going on. It may be that you are reacting to the wool in the upholstery rather than the foam. You are not saying which of Gardner’s organic lines you currently own that may be giving some more clues.
How long have you slept on it? and What kind of discomfort does it create (without and with a topper…if any)? What are your stats (BMI, sleeping positions)?

[QUOTE] So, I feel like I have 2 options:

1. Order a Cocoon for the master bedroom and pray it lasts longer than 2 years…and return the Naturally Nestled topper [/QUOTE]
    You may have more options than you think but you’d need to piece some more info together for anyone to be able to better guide you. I personally wouldn’t consider any mattress for which you can’t find the mattress specifications you need to know so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the mattress durability guidelines here You’ll get what you put into it. IMO this is a risky purchase in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress regardless of how it may feel initially (comfort, firmness, and PPP when the mattress is still relatively new) so it’s not worth the financial and time investment.

I would make sure you read a bit more about Sealy Cocoon in this topic here or do a Forum Search. With densities of the memory foam (3 lb and 2.2 lb) I would avoid this mattress completely along with any mattress where you can’t confirm the quality and durability of the materials inside it because of the risk of premature foam softening and breakdown and the loss of comfort and support would mean that there would be a much higher risk that you would need to buy a new mattress much sooner than you hoped for and foam softening and the loss of comfort and support isn’t covered by mattress warranties ( see post #174 here ).

It is not only about the mattress’s durability but the quality of your sleep which is very likely to rapidly deteriorate with the foam softening and breaking down which leads to loss of neutral spinal alignment over time. Proper support is important for postural maintenance and restoration, regardless of age.

[QUOTE]2. Find a hard, non-foam, mattress to replace the Gardner (and keep the topper).
[/QUOTE] Before considering a new mattress I would investigate to find what in the mattress caused you the allergic reaction. You may find that the allergy is caused by memory foam as well, especially if is new and it did not have a chance to air out for long enough.

Phoenix