help in asheville, nc

EDIT: forgive me! I used the search feature but only for the main site, not the forums. searching the forums I’ve found some info on colton.

I found the site months ago in our initial search for a new bed. I learned a lot and tried to talk my wife into not buying a major “s” brand. She wouldn’t listen and we got a simons graystone firm from mattressfirm. She likes very firm and I don’t so we tried to meet in the middle. After two nights on the graystone we both hated it! After a week we exchanged it for a simmons arrowind firm. It’s been over two months on it and I wake up everyday with horrible back pain. Our 100 days is almost up so we are shopping again. We are looking for a king. We are both under 170 pounds and mostly stomach sleepers.

In my area all I’ve found are the following as far as local manufacturers go

&

I’ve read some bad reviews of verlo. Just wondering opinions and if there is anywhere else in the area I’m missing. We spent almost $1300 and the current bed. We need to keep it there or under if possible.

so we visited Colton today. I like what I saw. My wife liked the feel of one better but the quilting of the other. He said he can combine the two and put extra lumbar as well for my back. The two we liked were high density foam on top. Only able to find three reviews online though.

what are your thoughts on kingsdown? any better than the “S” brands?

Gordon:

I was actually coming to the site to post my review of Colton as I bought a mattress there last month. It to is being made and we are supposed to get it next Thursday. If you haven’t read the beginner links supplied by Phoenix, please do as there is a lot of very helpful info in there. It really does eliminate the thoroughly bad choices like all the “S” mattresses.

I thought Mike Emerson at Colton was very nice and very well informed. We went with an all latex king mattress in part because the inner spring ones are wound very tight and when I move around it bothers my wife. We also went with it for all the other great qualities latex offers. I am also going to supply a link where another guy bought a mattress from Colton.

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/innerspring-core-vs-hr-poly-core

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I read everything a few months ago but will look back over it tonight. Seems the only help I need now is convincing my wife :wink: She does not like the fact there are only two or three reviews available online. I see where she’s coming from but look at reviews of the “S” brands! They are horrible. I just want to get it right and be done for many years. The bed we replaced was only 4 years old. I wanted to go this route back in Feb but she won that time. My back and rest are now paying for it!.

while we aren’t going full custom he said he could make changes as needed from what he has on the floor. that in and of itself is good enough for me. he did seem very knowledgeable and was not pushy at all. can’t say that about mattressfirm.

We also went to

and looked at the kingsdowns. I like them as well but don’t know about durability and longevity. seems they get very mixed reviews and are more like the other major brands. one thing I did not like about the place was when I mentioned my research and asked about comfort layers he said something along the lines of “don’t get too caught up in that, or confused by that.” not an exact quote but whatever he said didn’t make me feel to good :wink:

Not to lecture, but quit worrying about reviews. Its like wine. What one likes another will not as all taste buds are different as all backs and side muscles are different. Coltons is the real deal. If you want another go to Sleep EZ in Gaffney. They are pretty knowledgeable, but the selection is not very good and they didn’t seem that interested in making a custom mattress.

I thought it was a good thing that Mike offered the comfort guarantee where after a certain time if its not working, they will rework the mattress to get it right for you.

you’re preaching to the choir :wink: I can’t make my wife agree though. she did say this is now my decision which I don’t want her holding over my head if something goes wrong.

the main problem being we like very different styles of bed. Mike did say for about $100 more he can do each side different. that worries her too! don’t know why as it sounds like the perfect solution but to her it’s “more that could go wrong”.

thanks for the replies! good to know others here have had a positive experience with Colton.

Hi gordonlw,

Sparkleman has been doing a great job of providing some good advice that is the same as I would be providing if I was on the forum earlier (thanks sparkelman :)).

The manufacturers that are closest to Asheville are listed in post #4 here and it also has a link to a post with some of the local retailers and Asheville research done by one of the members here as well.

IMO … Coltons would certainly be one of the better choices available to you.

I didn’t even realize that Verlo had an outlet in NC (it doesn’t show up on their map or on a search on their retail locator so I’ve added them to the Asheville / Hendersonville list) Thanks for the heads up!.

As you can see in post #13 here and to echo sparkleman’s comments … I pay very little attention to reviews as far as mattresses go although they can have some value if they talk about the customer service of a store. It’s much more important to me to know the materials that are inside a mattress. Reviews about mattresses are certainly not the same as mattress research.

The post that links to most of the basic information you will need that sparkelman was mentioning is post #1 here. As you will see in one of the guidelines it links to … I would include Kingsdown in the “major manufacturers” group that I would completely avoid (along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out what is inside it). They don’t disclose the materials in their mattresses and they are not very good quality/value. His comments are typical of retailers and salespeople who have no knowledge of the quality of what they are selling and can’t validate the quality/value of their mattresses for their customers and depend on “marketing stories” to sell mattresses.

Hope this helps … along with sparkleman’s great comments.

Phoenix

Thanks to both of you! I sent Mike an email with a few questions regarding the foam, quilting and a few other things.

If you’re talking to a guy about mattresses and he is a mattress salesman and doesn’t know what comfort levels are, you need to run for the door as fast as possible OR take his job. As Phoenix says, just by reading for an hour on the basics of mattresses on the website you’ll know more than most mattress salesmen. Mike at Colton’s would be hard to best though. This guy knows them inside and out.

If you could afford latex go with it. If not, go with the Colton innerspring (mentioned in another thread) and a latex topper.

However, I’d try to stick with Coltons.

Hi gordonlw,

I would encourage you to ask these types of questions that can be very complex (much more complex than you may realize) on a phone call instead of email because unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience in mattress design and construction the answers may require more details tor information than you may realize because almost all these types of more technical questions (outside of just the raw “untranslated” specs themselves) have several “it depends” in the answers.

Email is only good for questions that have more simple “black and white” one sentence or perhaps one paragraph answers (such as when are you open or do you deliver etc) and past this point they can do more to confuse than help and often lead to more questions that you may not have realized need to be asked and answered to be able to answer the first ones.

Phoenix