Help in RI for Latex Mattresses

Hi. We are down to 2 finalists, the Pranayama 5.2 Plush and Elevate Felicity Plush, at 2 different stores in our latex mattress search. We are pressed for time and would like a new bed this week. We are 110 and 175 lbs., not heavy people. Our old bed, a Serta Perfect Sleeper-(not!)-started sagging within months. We want a mattress that will last, with no sagging!

The latex mattresses cost the same at $2199.00, and feel virtually the same comfort and support-wise… (Prana is slightly more cushy.) I’ve spent about 1/2 hour on the Prana over the past 2 days., Probably 15 mins. on the Elevate. I’m just wondering about the components and which would be the better value. I know from my search on Prana and reading past posts that you are not too keen on Prana value-wise, but I am wondering if perhaps they have improved? I would much appreciate any thoughts. Specs are below:

Pranayama 5.2 Plush/The sales rep states the latex is Talalay latex. The website and label reads:
• SKU: PRAN-60003
• Collection: Lotus
• Vendor: Pranasleep
• Mattress:75"L x 39"W x 11.5"H
• Foundations:75"L x 39"W x 6"H Mattress and Foundation dimensions are approximate
• Quilt: 100% Rayon Cover - Lotus flower design
FR Fibers
1" Soft poly foam 1.5LB
1" Soft poly foam 1.5LB
1/2" Firm poly foam 1.45LB
• Comfort Layers: 2" Pranasleep performance latex
• Support System: 6" Prestressed Everlast core 3.75LB
1" 1.45 density foam
• Mattress Type: Latex,Power Base Compatible
• Origin: Made in the U.S.A.

Elevate Felicity Plush (made by Restonic) The website and label reads:
• Outlast Technology; Proactively manages body temperature.
• ComfortQuilt; High density for longer comfort life (The sales rep states the quilting contains 2" of Talalay.)
• Talalay LiftFoam; 2" 15 ILD. 2" 24 ILD Buoyant, weightless support & comfort
• TruComfort Core; 6" 27 ILD, Ecofriendly, pre-compressed for longer comfort
• Euro Platform; Fine tailored, enhanced support system.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Hi CholeJo,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry that you’ve had a problem with your old Serta mattress, but unfortunately many of the larger “S” brands do tend to use less durable materials in their construction, which can lead to premature and excessive sagging. I’ll do my best to provide comments upon the products you’re comparing.

You’ve obviously been doing some searching on the forum regarding Prana. They did start using some better foams in their 5.0 line as compared to past lines, but I would still make some careful “value comparisons” regarding their products.

[quote]
Pranayama 5.2 Plush/The sales rep states the latex is Talalay latex. The website and label reads:
• SKU: PRAN-60003
• Collection: Lotus
• Vendor: Pranasleep
• Mattress:75"L x 39"W x 11.5"H
• Foundations:75"L x 39"W x 6"H Mattress and Foundation dimensions are approximate
• Quilt: 100% Rayon Cover - Lotus flower design
FR Fibers
1" Soft poly foam 1.5LB
1" Soft poly foam 1.5LB
1/2" Firm poly foam 1.45LB
• Comfort Layers: 2" Pranasleep performance latex
• Support System: 6" Prestressed Everlast core 3.75LB
1" 1.45 density foam
• Mattress Type: Latex,Power Base Compatible
• Origin: Made in the U.S.A
[/quote]The quilt layers use a bit more of lower density polyfoam than I would normally recommend, totaling 2.5" of 1.5 lb. or less polyfoam. The 2" of Talalay latex (content not listed) would be a high quality material. The polyfoam core at 3.5 lb. would be a good quality material. The base 1’ of polyfoam at 1.45 lb. is a lower density, but at only 1" at the bottom of the mattress wouldn’t necessarily be as much of a cause for concern as the upper quilt polyfoam.

[quote]
Elevate Felicity Plush (made by Restonic) The website and label reads:
• Outlast Technology; Proactively manages body temperature.
• ComfortQuilt; High density for longer comfort life (The sales rep states the quilting contains 2" of Talalay.)
• Talalay LiftFoam; 2" 15 ILD. 2" 24 ILD Buoyant, weightless support & comfort
• TruComfort Core; 6" 27 ILD, Ecofriendly, pre-compressed for longer comfort
• Euro Platform; Fine tailored, enhanced support system.
[/quote]Here I’m not quite as sure if they are providing the complete specifications. There is a total of 10" of material listed, but the specifications seem to indicate that there is some more foam in the quilt, and it isn’t as common for latex to be quilted to under the ticking. So my thought is that there might be some polyfoam quilted to the covering. The Talalay (blend not listed) in the 15 ILD and the 24 ILD would be good quality materials. You’d want to learn the density of the 6" polyfoam core, as the ILD doesn’t tell you much about the durability of that foam support core. If you’re able to clarify that this is a 10" mattress and it only has the three layers of foam (or if there is polyfoam in the quilt that you need to learn about) as well as the density of the 6" polyfoam core, I can make more complete comments about this mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I decided I was not ready to pull the trigger on a $2000 plus bed just yet, only to be stuck with a store credit if my husband and I did not like it. After doing some more research into online retailers (I looked at FloBeds, Foam Sweet Foam and SleepEZ) I placed an order with SleepEZ. .

I called SleepEZ and spoke with a sales rep about our weights, sleep styles, pressure points, etc. and he recommended a configuration that I was comfortable with, given what I now know about mattresses, specs and durability thanks to your site! I also felt better because they have a 90-day comfort exchange/return policy, so worst case we are out $99. We ended up with a mattress with a single top layer of soft Talalay, a middle split layer of medium-medium Talalay, and bottom split layer of firm-medium Dunlop, so that if the hubby needs a firmer feel he can switch his layers. Bonus: They have a great President’s Day Sale going on and they honored the 5% discount for being a Mattress Underground member!

The sales rep assured me that the split layers would stay put and we should not notice any support gap in the middle of the bed. It does not seem like there has been much negative feedback about split layers vs. single layers in the research I’ve read here and from what I’ve heard.

Hopefully it will be a right fit. Their customer service has been excellent so far. I will keep you updated! Thanks again for all your help and knowledge.

Hi ChloeJo,

You’re welcome! It’s what I do.

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! You were looking at some brands featuring good quality materials, and you certainly made a good quality/value choice.

I’m glad you took the time to speak with SleepEZ personally, as that is the way to get the best advice and more personalized suggestions. And as you stated, they do have a good policy for a return if things unfortunately turn out not as you had expected. And that’s nice that they still gave you the discount with their sales event.

Latex is very “grippy” and it is unlikely that you will notice any gap or ridge in the center of your mattress.

I’ll look forward to your comments once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix