Help - Looking for a Real Mattress

Hello,

Does anyone know of manufacturers, small or large, that might be fit? Any thoughts about Vispring?

I would like to find a traditional, tufted mattress with the following parameters. I’m having a heck of a time, finding a good, traditional mattress that doesn’t have all the chemically treated and polyurethane materials.

1. Uses compressed wool as a true fire barrier. I’m finding that some “Organic” manufactures are misleading and using a small bit of wool, then adding other fire barriers.

2. I’m not a fan of that non-stretch woven fabric that L&P pre-glues to the top of their pocketed coils that are designed for bed-in-the-box. I find that it defeats the purpose of pocketed coils and causes me to roll into the well that’s created by a heavier partner… extremely uncomfortable. I want REAL pocketed coil behavior or some other type of spring system that will achieve the same or similar results.

3. I’m not a fan of cotton batting in the bed, as cotton holds moisture and is prone to mold growth. Cotton fabric on top is OK, but not heavy batting.

4. I’m looking for tufting to hold the mattress together, rather than a bunch of glue and non-woven, non-stretch materials.

I had an older mattress that was destroyed in storage. It was incredibly comfortable, lasted and I loved it. It’s very difficult to find a proper mattress these days, and surprisingly difficult if you’re not on the East or West coast.

Hi empusa.

I know you had some inquiries about Vispring, but reading your post, I couldn’t help but thinking immediately of the Natural Escape mattress by My Green Mattress. They are button tufted by hand (I’ve seen it done with my own eyes) and the use a blend of GOTS certified organic cotton and GOTS certified organic wool in a quilted cover that acts as a natural fire barrier.

It may be worth looking at!

Is there a specific Vispring mattress you were considering that you’d like extra eyes on?

NikkiTMU

I looked at My Green Mattress, but I think they use a L&P coil system that has that same non-stretch, non-woven material that is affixed to the top of the coils with adhesive. This is an issue for me with the L&P coil systems that are designed for bed-in-the-box. I understand why they design them this way, but it has the effect of negating the whole purpose of the pocketed coil. The springs are attached to each other with a membrane, so they can’t act independently. This design makes the mattress very feel hard, and as an added bonus, it subjects the lighter sleeper to the crater that’s formed by the other person. Not good for back pain. I also don’t know if they use another non-stretch fire barrier in addition to the wool that often has a similar effect, as the material that’s glued to the top of the coils. Avocado has this issue.

Meanwhile, I’ve read some consumer reviews that the Vispring does pack out over time, which is one of my concerns with a relatively thick layer of wool.

I can’t tolerate polyurethanes and have severe reactions to chemicals (e.g. solvents) thanks to an utterly incompetent workplace renovation that sensitized me to chemicals. So, I’m having a heck of a time, finding a mattress.