Help making a decision

I need a split king for my master. I want a double sided I think because I’ve had two bad experiences with one sided kings in the last 6 years. In fairness I could have damaged them bringing them up the stairs of my 100 year old house though. Not easy finding double sided in Memphis so I may have to order on line. I’m looking at 3 mattresses. Current bed is too hard in addition to having a huge dent on my side. I only weigh about 200# so I don’t think it’s me doing it. Last bed was a way to soft pillowtop S&F floor model from Macys that I hated almost immediately. This time I want to be somewhere in the middle. These are the three I’m looking at. I think the first two are the same or at least similar. I’d like to know if I’m right about that since the price is doubled buying from serta.

#1 http://www.samsclub.com/sams/serta-presidential-suite-plush-mattress-set-twin-xl-2-pk/119266.ip?navAction=push#spec

#2 http://www.shopserta.com/product/32230

Lastly is a restonic from US Mattress

#3 http://www.us-mattress.com/restonic-brookhaven-plush-twin-xl.html

Sams is obviously almost 1/2 the price of the other two. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Also this one.

http://www.originalmattress.com/orthopedic/comfort-choices#orthopedic_ultra_plush

Hi Jeff Bennett,

The first thing I would suggest is to read post #1 here and the information and guidelines it links to. This will help you eliminate some of your options (the major brands like Serta) and focus on your better options.

A mattress is only as good as the construction and quality of the layers and materials that are inside it so the next step is to make sure that the retailer you are considering can provide you with the quality specs of every layer in their mattress. This means that for the Restonic you would need to know what is in the 3" quilting layer, the density of the 1" polyfoam layer, and the type of latex they use (probably blended Talalay which is good quality but I would want to confirm this). If they can provide this then you have a way to make a meaningful assessment of the relative quality and value of the mattress and to see if it has any potential weak links in terms of durability. Weak links will typically be in the upper layers of the mattress. If you can’t find this information either from US-Mattress or in your online research (if you are willing to spend the time an effort to find wat the retailer should be providing you) then I would pass this one by as well.

In an apples to apples comparison with similar quality materials … a double sided mattress is certainly a durability bonus. There are many single sided mattresses as well though that use high quality materials in the top layers (such as latex, HR polyfoam, or high quality memory foam) that are also very durable. The problem with durability in most cases is not the design so much (although this can certainly have an effect) as the quality of the materials in the upper layers. A single sided mattress has the advantage of having more design flexibility because you can layer softer foams on top (using higher quality materials) without taking the risk of affecting support when a thicker and softer top layer is part of the support system on the bottom of the mattress.

Original Mattress is a regional factory direct manufacturer which makes some good quality and value mattresses and they are fully transparent about the materials inside them. I would certainly consider them as a potential choice if they had an outlet in the area. Even here though … they use 1.8 lb polyfoam in the comfort layers (which is a better quality material than the major manufacturers typically use) and if these are too thick and soft then they can also suffer from sagging and impressions and I would tend towards the thinnest possible comfort layers that provide you with the pressure relief you need without going any thicker than you need to. I would avoid the temptation to choose a mattress that is softer than your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences indicate you really need. They also don’t have a retail location in the Memphis area so their mattresses would incur substantial additional shipping charges and you would be taking the risk of buying a mattress that you hadn’t personally tested. They may not be the best source for an online mattress purchase and you would have little recourse available at a reasonable cost if you made the wrong choice for your comfort or support needs.

Some of the better options or at least possibilities in the Memphis area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Ok. I went and met Gene Kennedy who owns Mattress Factory Showroom who was one of the people you suggested might fit the profile of a local mattress of a local manufacturer. He is off the beaten path and has a low end furniture store but he does seem to know mattresses and I trusted him. He makes them all in his warehouse.He did not have exactly the double sided mattress he’s proposing to build me but said sleep on it a week and if its not right he will come get it and adjust the various layers to make it firmer or softer and bring it back. He is using his better quality inner spring with his insulator on top followed by a 1" layer of a high density foam then 2" of talalay latex on top of that. I didn’t get real technical on the density of the latex but the scrap I laid on was pretty soft. The price for two twin xl’s with box foundations was $800. Sounded reasonable so I went ahead with it. What do you think of that layering? My goal is to have a medium feel. Not to hard or too soft but with good support and some cushioning. His willingness to adjust the comfort level if I wasn’t happy tipped the scale. He had to order the latex so he said he would deliver them one day next week.
Jeff

Hi Jeff Bennett,

It sounds to me like you did very well.

This sounds like a good quality innerspring/latex hybrid … and is very good value as well especially considering it is for two twin XL and they are both two sided as well. The density of the Talalay is not an issue (it’s good quality in any density or firmness level) and the density of only an inch of firmer polyfoam used above the innerspring is not a significant issue either … especially in a two sided mattress.

You also have the advantage of dealing with a local manufacturer who will make adjustments if necessary after your purchase.

I don’t know how you will feel about the comfort “rating” (each person has a different idea of what they consider a medium feel and I don’t know the ILD of the latex or polyfoam in the mattress) but I would trust Gene’s judgement who has been at this for a long time … especially considering they can adjust it if it’s not quite right.

Overall I think you have made a great choice and the value is exceptional as well.

Congratulations on your new mattresses :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix. We got our new mattresses. I’m going to give it a few more nights but after two nights I think my wife and I both agree we need it a little more plush so I’m going probably going to take him up on his offer to adjust the comfort level. My question is how to adjust it. To refresh your memory It’s a 7’ leggett & Platt coil unit he said was heavier duty but I don’t know the model. Then there is the insulator, 1" of his firmest poly foam then 2" of latex on each side. I hate to ask him to do it but he offered. I’m sure he only meant once so I want to make a good call. :wink: Should I go down on the firmness of the 1" poly foam, add another 1" of latex maybe softer, add something else between the two layers??? My wife would like to eliminate a little of the bounciness of the springs but that doesn’t bother me. It’s all so subjective when trying to determine plushness but her words to me was she would like it to be firm but with a little more plushness like she’s staying in a nice hotel. Is that vague enough? The springs support actually feels good to my recently replaced hip. I would like a little more to the comfort layer though. My discomfort feel more like it’s in my back and muscles just from not having enough cushion. Can you mix latex and visco foam? If so how would that work best? Visco on top or in between the two layers of latex? If in between would that eliminate a little of the feeling of falling back int where you were lying before that I don’t like about visco? I think a little more plushness will remove some of the springiness that’s an issue for my wife.Sorry for so many questions just want to make a good decision to get it up a level or two in plushness without going too far. I really appreciate your response. I guess if I’m going to add to it I can chose whatever I want. I’ll probably offer to pay for any additional materials though.

Hi Jeff Bennett,

The first thing I would suggest is to give your new mattress at least a couple of weeks (and many retailers or manufacturers even prefer 30 days or so) so that the mattress components have a chance to break in and you also have time to adjust to a new mattress that may be very different from what you are used to.

Once it is clear exactly what you want to change (based on your longer term experience and “patterns” rather than just a few days experience which may not be indicative of your longer term experience on the mattress) and you can describe the more specific “symptoms” that you are experiencing that are uncomfortable for you (such as pressure issues in specific areas of the body, alignment issues that cause tension or discomfort in specific areas, or even a more subjective “feel” that you prefer) then you will be in a much better position to help them help you make the kind of adjustments that can fine tune the mattress to your needs and preferences.

I’m not familiar with the specifics of all the layers and components of their mattresses (ILD of the layers, the details of the innerspring, the type of insulator, the type of ticking and quilting etc) so it’s always much better to work with the manufacturer themselves who will be much more familiar with the materials they use, the types of changes they can make, and how each of them may affect your comfort, support, or preferences on the mattress. They have much more experience with their own mattresses than I would have and working with them would be much more effective than any “theory at a distance” I could offer based on much more limited information and experience with their mattresses. I’m always happy to talk about the quality of various mattresses and the materials they contain but comfort and support issues and any fine tuning adjustments are always more effective if you work directly with the manufacturer or retailer themselves.

Typically it could involve a change in the thickness of the comfort layers (either in the mattress or with a topper), the firmness of the comfort layer, the type of insulator they use, and many other options that they may have available as well.

Yes … many people (including me) like this type of “hybrid” layering but the specifics would be a matter of personal preference. Traditionally the visco would be on top of the more resilient latex but my own personal preference for example (that many people would not like at all) is a thinner layer of latex over a relatively thin layer of memory foam. I personally prefer a more resilient surface that is a little more “movement friendly”. There is no “better or worse” in all of this though … only personal preferences. I would keep in mind as well that there is a difference between fine tuning a mattress and adding completely new layering and changing to a different design than your original choice.

The first step though is to spend a little more time on the mattress so that you are past the intial breaking in and adjustment period and are able to be more specific about the types of changes you are looking for which would help Gene to help you much more effectively.

Phoenix