Help me choose best latex mattress please

Hello,
We need to buy a new mattress, after doing significant research we decided to buy all natural latex mattress.
I visited some local companies here in Vancouver.
Best price/quality was found here http://www.northshorelinens.com/link/Latex%20Mattresses,Toppers%20and%20pillows.htm

So some details:
Me 160lbs stomach/side sleeper, wife 115lbs back/side sleeper.

For my personal preference soft is the way to go. I am little bit lost with options.

WOuld be 6" soft good option? Or 8" soft would be better for us?
Or should we look at medium?

What really surprised me the fact we can get 100% natural Aprico Dunlop latex 6" in king size for less than $1000.
Additional supersoft topper would almost double the price. Worth it?

Another company offered 65 density 6" + 55 2" topper. I am not sure if topper really that necessary.

From my feeling Talalay is much softer compare to Dunlop.

Hi pix530,

[quote]WOuld be 6" soft good option? Or 8" soft would be better for us?
Or should we look at medium?[/quote]

I don’t have any specific suggestions because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more in post #2 here about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them.

[quote]What really surprised me the fact we can get 100% natural Aprico Dunlop latex 6" in king size for less than $1000.
Additional supersoft topper would almost double the price. Worth it?[/quote]

Whether it was worth it or not would depend on which of the mattresses they offer would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP. Post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value, but the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is always how well you will sleep on it. A 6"mattress with a single layer will generally be firmer than a mattress that also includes an additional layer of softer latex on top of it. Most people tend to prefer an additional comfort layer on top of a firmer support core although your own careful testing and experience (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) will be the best way to decide between them.

When you look back on a mattress purchase many years from now you will remember much more about how well you slept on it and how long you slept well than you will about the differences in prices that are relatively small in terms of the cost per year of ownership when you consider the length of time you will be sleeping on it.

Both Talalay and Dunlop come in a wide range of firmness levels so whether one is firmer than the other will depend on the firmness of the specific layers you are comparing but if you are comparing two layers that are the same thickness and firmness then Dunlop will usually feel firmer than the Talalay because it’s a denser material and will get firmer faster as you sink into it than Talalay. The choice between Talalay and Dunlop is a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice and some people prefer one over the other. There is more about how they compare in post #7 here but the best way to know which type of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own personal experience.

Thanks too for mentioning North Shore Linens and their line of latex mattresses and I’ve added them to the Vancouver list here since they certainly have reasonable prices for their latex mattresses.

Phoenix

Phoenix, Thank you very much for all your help! Its really great. I’d say you are the best mattress resource on this planet.

I had discussion with store owner, he recommended me and I think its a good option to buy 6" medium + 2" soft (or supersoft idk its kinda our decision).

I assume if we think soft(supersoft) is way too soft we can just flip it over and have more firm mattress in the future

Hi pix530,

Oops … I forgot the link about the differences between Talalay and Dunlop but it’s fixed now.

I think that most people would tend to prefer either a 2" or the 3" comfort layer vs the single layer mattress but each person is unique so I would trust what your body and careful testing tells you when you test each of the options you have available.

You would also have the option of choosing the single layer 6" mattress and then adding a 2" or a 3" topper so that if you do need to adjust the firmness level or if your needs and preferences change down the road or if the softer layer comfort layer breaks down before the firmer support core (which is likely) then you can just replace the topper without needing to replace the entire mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you, we go with Dunlop 6+2.
The last question and I understand its hard to tell is if we better go with supersoft or soft top 2" layer?

I want to order today, so I like softness and Dunlop is more on supportive side. But I am also afraid it might be too soft.

Also, want to underline, that we’ve checked about 10 local companies and no one is ready to accept returns or change layers if required.

Hi pix530,

[quote]The last question and I understand its hard to tell is if we better go with supersoft or soft top 2" layer?

I want to order today, so I like softness and Dunlop is more on supportive side. But I am also afraid it might be too soft.[/quote]

The only reliable way to know this would be based on your own personal testing and/or personal experience. You would be in a better position to tell me which one was more suitable for you in terms of PPP than the other way around because I really can’t feel what you feel or see you lying on a mattress.

I’m not familiar with most of the return or exchange policies for all the retailers or manufacturers in the hundreds of local lists around the forum but return/exchange policies will always vary from company to company and some local lists in Canada or the US may include companies that have return/exchange policies and some may not. If there aren’t any retailers or manufacturers that have return or exchange policies in a particular area then this wouldn’t be a significant part of your personal value equation unless you were including online options that have a return/exchange policy available.

If there isn’t a return or exchange policy then it would be even more important to make sure that you do some very careful testing for PPP to make sure that the mattress you choose would be a suitable choice in terms of PPP. I would also make sure that a mattress you choose isn’t too soft because you can always soften up a mattress that is too firm with a topper but it’s much more difficult to “firm up” a mattress that is too soft without removing and replacing the layers that are too thick or soft.

Phoenix

My final call is: 6" medium + 2" supersoft in one cover.

Mattress was ordered, due in a week. Now the store owner said this mattress will be too heavy and offered to do 2twins. I like whole piece. Any disadvantages for 2 twins making one king?

Hi pix530,

Having two twin XL mattresses can be an advantage for couples that have a different firmness preference, for couples that sleep on an adjustable bed and wish to use each side independently, and it can help with motion isolation as well (although that’s not normally an issue with a latex mattress).

Having said that … it’s really a personal preference although unless there is a specific reason to choose otherwise … most people tend to prefer a king size vs two twin XL’s so that there is less possibility of feeling any gap or soft spot in the middle of the mattress … especially if you tend to use the middle of the mattress. There is more about the pros and cons of split king mattresses in post #8 here and in this topic.

While a king size latex mattress is certainly heavy and would be more difficult to transport and deliver … I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t deliver it and it’s certainly not an issue for other companies that make a similar mattress.

Phoenix