Help Me Find The Right Mattress

I have read through various posts and see that there is an incredible wealth of information provided. So first and foremost, thanks!

Prior to visiting this site I thought I had narrowed my selection to either the Tempur-pedic Rhapsody Breeze or the iComfort Genius. I am close to 300lbs and sleep very hot and like the idea of the cooling technologies. I was very impressed with the Breeze since it was cool to the touch in the showroom. So impressed I was contemplating shelling out thousands more over the iComfort.

I then decided to visit this forum and now I am more confused than ever. I am worried that my weight will make these mattresses fail in under 4 years. I need your help!

My priorities not in any order are:

Cooling Technology (I sleep very hot)
Comfort: I sleep in several positions but mostly on my side.
Longevity: Being close to 300lbs has me worried about memory foam and has me looking at the firmer variants.

I live in S. Florida if that helps. Any info or recommendations is appreciated!

Hi SethM,

[quote]Prior to visiting this site I thought I had narrowed my selection to either the Tempur-pedic Rhapsody Breeze or the iComfort Genius. I am close to 300lbs and sleep very hot and like the idea of the cooling technologies. I was very impressed with the Breeze since it was cool to the touch in the showroom. So impressed I was contemplating shelling out thousands more over the iComfort.

I then decided to visit this forum and now I am more confused than ever. I am worried that my weight will make these mattresses fail in under 4 years. I need your help![/quote]

The first place to start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones. As you will see … outside of careful and objective testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), the most important part of a mattress purchase is to make sure that you know the quality of all the materials and components, particularly in the comfort layers which are the weak link of most mattresses.

When you are in higher weight ranges then the quality of the materials is even more important. Post #3 here and the posts it links to have more information about choosing a mattress when you are in a higher weight range.

Post #2 here also has more information about all the variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress. In many cases … the type of mattress protector and your sheets and bedding can have just as much effect on sleeping temperature as the mattress itself.

I’m not sure where you are in South Florida but post #2 here includes the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Miami / Ft Lauderdale area.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
I’ve been doing my homework. Found this site like many others by searching for the real deal on Saatva. I see that you recommend smaller local manufacturers. I am in NY on Long Island. I’m looking for an innerspring mattress with a really good comfort layer. Any recommendations in my area?

Charlie…

Hi mattressgeek,

I switched your post to a new topic so that it’s easier to find keep the related posts together.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Long Island and surrounding area are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix