Help needed on Dunlap mattress

Hi! I need to get the biggest bang for my buck! I need a Dunlap mattress. Ideally, I would like 4 inches comfort level and not sur if 8 inches support would work? I have a large curve in my lumbar area. I also have degenerative disc disease. I would like a whole new bed. I have $2400ish to spend and live in Lexington, Ky. Could you please recommend a mattress and company- also a good way to support the mattress. Would you do s box spring? Thank you for all of your help! Deb

Hi Debw,

I’m happy to speak to the quality of the materials in a mattress or help evaluate the relative value of a mattress but assessing comfort and support in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, pressure relief, and Personal preferences) always depends on your own personal testing or experience because there are far too many variables and unknowns for anyone to choose a mattress for someone else based on “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

In case you haven’t read it … post #1 here has the basic information, steps and guidelines that can help you make the best decision.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Lexington, KY area are listed at the end of post #3 here.

In most cases a latex mattress does best on a firm non flexing foundation with gaps between the slats that are no more than 3" (see post #2 here) but in the case of some thinner foam mattresses (including latex) then some manufacturers include an active box spring under the latex mattress to provide some extra flex and give under the mattress because thinner mattresses can be firmer than most people are comfortable with on a firm non flexing foundation. In this case … both would be an important part of the feel and performance of your sleep system. The manufacturer of a mattress is always the best source of information about the most appropriate foundation or box spring (along with your own personal testing) and it’s also important to make sure that the foundation or box spring you use when you test a mattress is the same type as the one you use with the mattress because if you test a mattress on an active box spring and then use it on a firm non flexing foundation (or vice versa) it will feel and perform differently than what you tested.

Phoenix