Help on buying a mattress.

Hello,

I’m trying to find a mattress that I like and one that allows me to sleep well and rest during the night.

The measure I want is 1,60 m x 1,40 m.
I’m 42 years old, 1,77 m and 76 Kg. I sleep with my partner, who is 1,77 m and 64 Kg.

I tend to prefer coil mattress, maybe because I never had other type and because I heard that foam mattress can have give high temperature during the night.

I recently bought 2 new mattresses, but I was unable to adapt to them. They were low range (500€), they were pocket spring mattresses and when I tried them on store, they were firm, but after 1-2 weeks of use they became softer. I don’t understand how the firmness changed with these 2 mattresses?

In softer mattresses, I don’t like the sensation of having the body “sinking” inside the mattress, like the mattress is surrounding all my body. With the 2 pocket springs I mentioned, I also felt that when I slept with my belly down, I felt my lumbar spine bending and I felt pain.

But I also don’t like very firm mattresses, because I feel I get contractures and pain in my upper back zone and also in shoulders.

I think tend to prefer older mattresses. The old innerspring, continuous or bonnel coils, gave the sensation that the mattresses were a flat superficie and they didn’t had a lot of confort, so the body didn’t feel “sinking” in the mattress.

Can you advice me any mattress, according to what I wrote? Which kind of mattress do you recommend for me? Which aspects should I consider to buy the mattress I’m looking for?

Thak you
PS. I live in Europe

Hi mega_biscoito.

Welcome to the Mattress Forum all the way from Europe! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your stats and the brief mattress experience you shared with us.

You did not specify which mattresses you tried but based on your description it looks like you have purchased memory foam/ pocket coil mattresses. It is unlikely that the “softening” of the beds is because of the pocket coil units. Most likely culprits for softening in the first 2 weeks of purchase can be a result of the “breaking in” of the new mattress and/or having low-quality memory foam or polyfoam in the comfort layers of your mattress. When you lie on a memory foam mattress, it will soften with heat and pressure and become semi-solid. It is also less open-celled than other foams so the air inside the foam takes more time to both move away from pressure and also to come back “on the rebound”.
It is difficult to control how far you sink into a memory foam layer as it may soften over the course of the night and what started out as correct spinal alignment could turn into a “hammock” position and a backache by morning as you noticed after sleeping on your stomach.

For your stomach sleeping position, you would need a flatter, firmer surface than most sleepers. You may wish to review the guidelines in this Sleep Positions Article so that you avoid hyperextension in a swayback position that can cause back issues.

[QUOTE] Can you advice me any mattress, according to what I wrote? Which kind of mattress do you recommend for me? Which aspects should I consider to buy the mattress I’m looking for?
[/QUOTE]

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here(there is a condensed version of it at the end of that post) which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps, more importantly, know how and why to avoid the worst ones. Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

The weak link of a mattress is almost always in the use of low-quality materials in the comfort layers and if you don’t know the specifics of what is inside your mattress you have no way to identify any weak links in the mattress or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses so you would be making a completely “blind” purchase. When assessing any product, also be sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the mattress durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Before you venture on purchasing a new mattress, I’d do a hard reset and arm yourself with the information you need to know I linked above. I’d first determine the type of mattress and the feel of the material you like, (this may involve testing some mattresses locally). It may still be that a good supportive pocket coil with the right combination of comfort/transition layers can work well for you and your partner. You did not mention your partner’s primary sleeping position which can also change some requirements. Then I’d focus on the quality of materials within your mattress to determine how long you can reasonably expect to sleep well on the mattress.

I’m always happy to help the forum members here with “how” to choose, to act as a "fact check, or to help them find better manufacturers or retailers that have better quality and value but “what” to choose in terms of either a mattress or the balance between comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment that may be suitable for a specific person is always up to the only person who can feel what you feel on a mattress and best left to personal testing and your own experiences or more detailed discussions with the more knowledgeable people at the retailers or manufacturers that sell a mattress you are considering.

I hope this gives you a good idea of how to start looking for better options and what to look for in your search for a new mattress.
Phoenix

Thank Phoenix for your comments.

I did not specify the type of mattresses but they where:

• One with pocket springs, protective foam and polyurethane foam.
  • Other one with pocket springs, high-densisty foam, confort foam and viscolelastic

In both situations they were not more specific information, regarding the type of foam, like the thickness or the density.

Hi mega_biscoito.

Yes, that’s what I guessed from your description. The bottom line is that if we arm ourselves with some basic information (enough to ask better questions and tell when someone knows what they are talking about) and then find a manufacturer or outlet that knows a lot more than we do and has years of decades of experience … then the odds are great that we will make a good choice and we can weed through those that are interested only in profit at the expense of consumer’s wellbeing and interests.

Generally, if we are considering a mattress from an outlet that knows less than we do (or can learn in a few hours) or isn’t able (nor willing) to provide the most basic quality specs about their mattresses … or that sells mattresses based on marketing tactics (such as fake sales) … then the odds are high that we’ll end up with a lower-quality and higher-priced mattress … unless we have the time and patience to dig deep enough to find the information needed to make meaningful quality and value decisions. As the first step on your lookout for a new mattress, I’d look for a transparent company that provides facts and meaningful information on their site and I’d dismiss vendors that do otherwise. There are many outlets out there that do things the right way and typically they are those that are a pleasure to deal with.

If you are considering certain products that provide the mattress information listed here to compare the quality of the materials and components to the mattress durability guidelines here and wish a second opinion we’ll be here to make some comments and “lend” you our experience.

Phoenix