Help on deciding which memory foam topper to get?

Sorry for the long post here, TL;DR at the bottom

So long story short I have a bed that used to be okayish on comfort, was never great but my weight has changed and probably the bed has changed too over the years and it’s gotten worse. So I need something new because I’m spending hours in bed to get to sleep each night, basically until my tiredness overcomes the discomfort. And then I wake up tired and slightly sore.

A few years ago I got a topper to help, specifically the “RUUF Mattress Topper Queen, 3-Inch High-Density Ventilated Mattress Pad, Medium-Firm” which is basically a random no name one sold on amazon that they don’t sell anymore. It was decently comfortable for a while and helped get rid of the worst symptoms, but it’s been a few years now and it’s sort of broken down and compresses too easily, also has some tears.

So I’ve been shopping to get a new mattress topper (or potentially new mattress in general). First I tried sleep on latex’s soft 3" latex memory foam topper. It felt like a quality product but it just wasn’t quite soft enough, it didn’t relieve the pressure points on my shoulder, hip, and ribs (well it did slightly, but not nearly enough). So I returned it (great painless return experience btw).

Next I tried the " Brooklyn Standard Hybrid Mattress 14" plush". Let me tell you, despite doing a lot of research and trying to get something that’s actually plush that bed was NOT at all plush, I couldn’t even make it through a night on that bed it was so firm and uncomfortable. Had to be medium firm at the very least.

So that brings me to now. I’m looking for a memory foam mattress topper since I got one before and it mostly did the trick. But this time I’m wanting to get one that’s maybe a bit higher quality. I want something quite soft, I’ve realized over time my preferences definitely lean towards quite soft (especially being a side sleeper). And I liked how it felt in general, the memory foamness. I’m looking for something decently durable, I’d like at least 3 years out of it, more is great though. I’ve got a theoretical max budget of around $600 but I’d really like to spend less if possible. Also I want at least 3 inches in depth to make sure it’ll be a big enough difference, any more inches than that is even better.

So far the thing that looks the most appealing is this https://www.foambymail.com/product/5lb-memory-foam-topper.html it ticks all the boxes, high density, good price, very soft according to the specs sheet. Even has a 4 inch option which seems pretty rare. Only thing that bothers me is no free return shipping, idk how much it’ll end up being to ship it back if I don’t like it… Also pretty limited amount of reviews on their website, and almost none on any other websites. Anyone have any experience with them?

Any suggestions for a cheapish mattress topper cover to pair with it from Amazon? Not too fussed with the specifics, just what anyone prefers is fine for that.

Also any other options anyone would suggest looking at that fits my criteria of high density, soft, and free returns under around $600? I’m mainly interested in memory foam toppers but I’m also open to bed suggestions. Though it seems like most beds especially in this price range have low quality/and or thin foam as their comfort layer anyway so I’m not sure it’d actually be an improvement over just slapping a topper on my existing bed.

Also only semi related but does the bed’s support matter much for feel on a thicker mattress? I have mine on some metal slats, not sure if that’s negatively effecting how the bed feels and if it’d be any better if I tried directly on the carpet or something.

Body/sleep info: (nearly) Exclusively side sleeper, 6’0, ~165 pounds. Prefers soft

TL;DR: any suggestions on a soft memory foam topper that’s high density and quality, and at least 3 inches thick (thicker is better) with free returns if it doesn’t work out? Also open to cheap mattress suggestions if they’re actually plush or super plush.

Tempurpedic Serenity 3 in topper

Buy different toppers and try them out. That is the best way.

John

I know it might be inevitable to an extent, but I’ve already tried a topper and a mattress out, returning is a bit of a PITA so I’d rather do as much as I can to avoid as much of it as possibel ahead of time. Hence me asking here for specific recommendations, especially because there seems to be literally hundreds if not thousands of very similar sounding mattress toppers out there, I’m trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

What makes you say that one? Have you tried different ones and liked that one best? Is it particularly soft or maybe strikes a good balance between soft and firm which you liked? I notice it doesn’t seem to list the density anywhere which makes me wonder about its long term durability, but it is like less than half the price of the one I was considering which makes up for it, as long as it meets my needs. I also like that it’s from costco so hassle free returns.

Have not tried it myself. Tempurpedic is best in memory foam. Plus its from Costco so easy returns. Id focus toppers available from local stores with good return policies. I like Kohls also. Sams Club is good too.

Other option is to order from online businesses.

John

Id order all 10 toppers at once instead of one at a time. 1 min of trying it is worth 100 hours of review reading. You can order off of Tempurpedic website.

John

Hi Greyland.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

I should first point out that if the mattress is the issue (sinking/sagging/broken down etc) then adding a topper usually exacerbates these issues. Basically, you can’t “stabilize” a saggy mattress with a topper. You’d need to replace the mattress in that case. If the mattress is uncomfortable because it’s feeling too firm, then a topper can be a good option and resolution for your needs.

Re: foambymail - you can find all our forum conversations about this company here. Speaking from personal experience, I’ve had a good experience with the 3" dreamfoam topper from Amazon but it definitely “traps” you as you sink into it throughout the night and I did find I slept a lot hotter using that topper. However, it was comfortable. I only removed it because I was bed sharing with a toddler and toppers are a SIDS risk…so I took it off.

NikkiTMU

Thank you for the welcome!

I think it’s just that its too firm, I don’t notice any sagging or lumpiness really.

I did get some feedback elsewhere on foambymail saying it was a pain and very expensive to return so might end up skipping that one.

The dreamfoam topper you linked looks like it would be good, looks like they stopped carrying them though unfortunately.

Thinking at this point I might just grab some random one on amazon with good reviews and hope for the best, at least returns will be painless with them.

This one looks promising though 4-lb. Memory Foam Topper - Mattress Topper idk if anyone here has experience with them.

I know this is from last year, but did you try that 4-lb topper at all?