Help On Pocket Spring Latex Mattress

Hey Guys & Girls

Newbie here from across the pond in the U.K

Stumbled on your very informative website when doing a little research on the mattress I was looking to purchase.

Just wanted to get your opinions on this beds construction/ contents and whether you think it was value for money etc

Here is the make up from the retailer/ manufacture of the mattress:

FIRST LAYER: One inch HD Foam: directly on top of the spring unit (as the insulator).

SECOND LAYER: 3cm White Talalay 60/40 Latex:(Latexco)

THIRD LAYER: 3cm White Talalay 60/40 Latex: (Latexco)

FOURTH LAYER: 300 gsm Wool Silk blend pad: directly beneath the fabric which gives a slight cushion on top of the latex.

There is more info on their website but I am unsure whether I can post links on this forum so have not posted it.

Cheers

Hi bottle123,

I have no knowledge of the UK market or what would constitute good value there but I can certainly make some comments about the questions I would ask and the quality of the materials in the mattress.

FIRST LAYER: One inch HD Foam: directly on top of the spring unit (as the insulator): HD polyfoam is just a generic description and doesn’t indicate the quality of this layer. I would want to know the density of this layer. While its not likely to be a big issue because its deeper in the mattress and only one inch (which is within the guidelines I use for “unknown polyfoam” in a mattress … I would still want to know just as a matter of principle because being right over the pocket coils it will be subject to some stresses when you sleep on it. It would be better if this was good quality/density polyfoam that had good durability

SECOND LAYER: 3cm White Talalay 60/40 Latex:(Latexco): this is a good quality material and I would have no issues with it.

THIRD LAYER: 3cm White Talalay 60/40 Latex: (Latexco): Same as layer two but likely a different firmness. Also a good quality layer.

FOURTH LAYER: 300 gsm Wool Silk blend pad: directly beneath the fabric which gives a slight cushion on top of the latex: This also sounds like a good quality quilt layer and would provide good ventilation, humidity control, and temperature control to the mattress.

Links are fine and if you link to the mattress then I can take a look at the other layers as well that aren’t listed (the pocket spring and the ticking material or any others that aren’t included in your description).

I don’t see a real “weak link” in this mattress and even the inch of polyfoam is not likely to present an issue but of course no matter what the quality or value of the materials they would have little value to you unless you had tested the mattress for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) and you knew from your testing that it was suitable for your body type and sleeping positions. This is just as important a part of the value of a mattress as the quality of the materials and its durability.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix

Thanks for the quick response and views on the mattress itself. Here is the link to it:

http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk/mattress-sho/double-mattresses/origins-pocket-latex-1500-double1/

There is also more detailed info on the mattress and other good tips when looking for the right bed on there too.

Look forward to hearing your views and anyone else on the forum

Thanks again!!

Hi bottle123,

The additional layers that I didn’t comment on are the springs and cover which both look good to me (although a quick look didn’t mention the fabric used in the cover). They also fit the profile of the type of manufacturer I like to deal with (smaller factory directs) and as near as I can tell the prices look good as well and they say all the “right” things on their site so overall I would say they are good quality/value and I would certainly give them strong consideration.

Phoenix