Help on the i series vantage by serta

Well have looked and looked here in north Louisiana. Had a Vera Wang by sealy with gel but after nine years seems to be going. I almost bit the bullet and purchased a sleep number till I came home and really started to read. Now I am really confused. Went to Haverty’s furniture yesterday to find a mattress that lays somewhat as stiff as a Temperpedic but not that because the wife has night sweats. Well we layer on a i series vantage by Serta. Has a 100 percent warranty from 1-6 years and then it becomes prorated. It is of course a innerspring with a gel foam it also has a platform that will raise and lower the head and feet. However when you buy the platform it is non-refundable. All this can be purchased for 4600 dollars. I am limited in choices but am willing to drive and look. I am 300 miles from dallas and New Orleans and 150 miles from Jackson. I just do not want to mess this up. So any help are recommendations would be appreciated. Oh, I have not looked at the Resitor I think it is mattress yet it can be bought locally. So anyone got any ideas? Thanks

Hi Terry,

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones (which would include the major brands such as Serta or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality of the materials inside it).

I’m not sure where you are exactly but in your more immediate area the only option I’m aware of that I would consider would be the Restonic mattresses at http://www.ivansmith.com/ but only if they are a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and if you can confirm the quality of the materials inside the mattress you are considering (see this article) so you can make sure that there are no weak links in the mattress (see post #4 here) and make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

Post #4 here includes some possibilities in the Shreveport area and post #2 here includes some possibilities in the Jackson, MS area. With any of these “possibilities” you will need to confirm you can find out the quality of the materials in any of the mattresses you are considering.

A little further away post #4 here has the possibilities I’m aware of in the New Orleans area and post #191 here includes some better options yet in the Baton Rouge area and post #4 here is for the Dallas/Ft Worth area and may be the best option of all.

The tutorial post also includes links to the better online options I’m aware of if you are comfortable with an online purchase.

Phoenix

Thanks for info Phoenix,
I went to Ivan Smith today the one thing I see different is Restonic model is the Silver Eurotop Firm has a 15 year warranty if there are problems. However, the Serta and Temperpedic have a 120 days sleep return policy. Now that could mean they have problems near term. Restonic’s warranty could means no return if you are just no happy but any problems in 15 years and we will replace don’t know. The sales person at Ivan Smith was nice enough to call her Restonic rep and ask if the platform lifts can be put under the Restonic that has coils without voiding the warranty and he said yes which surprised me. There were choices on platforms from I-comfort ergo motion2 to tempupedic premier and glideaway deluxe. I just want the head of my king mattress to raise. Any views would be appreciated.

Hi Terry,

I would keep in mind that a mattress warranty only covers defects and not the loss of comfort and support which is the reason that most people will need to replace a mattress. Warranties have very little to do with the useful life of a mattress and how long it will last you (see post #174 here). Knowing the quality of all the materials inside any mattress you are considering so you can identify any weak links and make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses is always much more important and a more reliable way to assess the durability of a mattress than the length of the warranty .

A trial period is just in case you make a mistake in choosing a mattress that is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP and has little to do with issues that will develop with the mattress itself. Exchange and return policies are built into the cost of a mattress so the people who don’t return a mattress end up paying for the ones who do (see post #3 here). Careful and objective testing can significantly lower the chance that you will choose a mattress that isn’t suitable for you but if you are still uncertain about whether a mattress is suitable for you even if you have tested it carefully then a good return or exchange policy may be an important part of your personal value equation. Either way … I would avoid Serta and Tempurpedic and all the major brands anyway (see the guidelines here).

If you are also looking for an adjustable bed then I would make this a separate purchase from a mattress so you can first choose the mattress that is best for you and then choose the adjustable bed that has the best combination of features for the price. There is more about choosing an adjustable bed and some good sources for making comparisons in post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to.

Phoenix