Help please! Need a pillow top innerspring mattress WITHOUT gel memory foam

Hi there, I’m in desperate need of help finding a mattress that doesn’t cause me extreme shoulder pain EVERY night! I’m petite , only 5 foot, 110 pounds and have purchased SEVEN mattresses in the last year. I eventually discovered I’m basically buying the same exact thing over and over again with a different brand name. Is there a reason they stopped making pillow top mattresses SOFT? Im sure it’s bc of money and people called in the warranty, bc obviously the gel topper they are using now is HARD, NOTHING like a pillow. And doubt they’ll ever get a dent, bc it feels like concrete.
My old mattress felt like a cloud, only bought a new one bc it had gotten a slope in the middle. And now I’m wishing I could dig it out of the dump!! I don’t want a memory foam mattress, I need something with good response bc of joint issues. And i don’t like all latex bc it doesn’t feel like I sink into it like a cloud. I need something that is Actually a pillow top that allows my shoulder to go into it since I’m a side sleeper. Please help!

Hey Laughinpink,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: !

[quote]I’m in desperate need of help finding a mattress that doesn’t cause me extreme shoulder pain EVERY night! I’m petite , only 5 foot, 110 pounds and have purchased SEVEN mattresses in the last year. I eventually discovered I’m basically buying the same exact thing over and over again with a different brand name. Is there a reason they stopped making pillow top mattresses SOFT? Im sure it’s bc of money and people called in the warranty, bc obviously the gel topper they are using now is HARD, NOTHING like a pillow. And doubt they’ll ever get a dent, bc it feels like concrete.
[/quote]

I am sorry to hear of the shoulder pain issues that you’re having and you have come to the right place for help, Laughinpink. What mattresses have your returned thus far that didn’t work? Let’s start with some Mattress 101 basics, as after purchasing seven mattresses during a 12 month period, you have “eventually discovered I’m basically buying the same exact thing over and over again with a different brand name”. If you haven’t referenced these Phoenix articles yet, here are several that I highly recommend every TMU newbie use for researching a mattress purchase. “The Basic Functions of a Mattress” explains the 2 jobs a mattress has: 1) provide Comfort for proper pressure relief, and 2) give Support for correct spinal alignment. A basic understanding of what materials and constructions could better provide optimal Comfort and Support for someone of your petite size should keep you away from choices that obviously won’t work. "Determining Your Personal Statistics"discusses the dynamics that your weight, height, body weight distribution, and sleeping position(s) play when choosing Comfort and Support configurations. "Mattress Specifications You Need to Know"lists the basic information you should ask regarding the mattress’s specs, providing indicators of quality and durability. Finally, "Finding a Great Mattress Outlet"provides a checklist of questions for discussion with a manufacturer or showroom team. Once you pair these helpful guides with your personal “trial and error” experience, you should have a better understanding of what type mattress you should try.

What mattress did you have before and how old was it? What type foundation are you using and when was it last replaced? Let’s hear more about other past mattresses that you have enjoyed and perhaps see what may be similar out there. Do you have access to local COVID-safe showrooms? I’m guessing that you’ve already tried those with all of the purchases that you have made this past year. What mattress are you with these days?

Sensei