Help selecting the right mattress topper for pressure relief

I settled on the Golden Mattress Co Comfort Tex Plush when exchanging a too firm mattress. However my shoulders ache on this mattress so I will try a mattress topper to relieve pressure points. Please help me determine what might work for me. I am a side sleeper, 5’6", 170 pounds. The mattress specs are: a high density 6" 2-lb Bioflex foam core base laminated to a 3" layer of HD 2-lb. soft foam and 2" HD soft talalay latex.

How much more talalay would be needed to relieve the pressure on my shoulders? I enjoy the feel of memory foam but dislike the off-gassing. Is there a memory foam product with minimal chemical odor, and if so what thickness would you recommend?

Thank you so much for your help.

Hi 8grands,

There are too many unknowns and variables involved to make specific topper suggestions because softness and firmness can be subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual perceptions as well as the softness of the mattress which will also affect how soft or firm your mattress/topper combination feels but post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to has more information that will help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the best chance of success.

Most latex will have some initial odor which can vary based on the type and blend of the latex and on the sensitivity of the person to specific smells (some people are more sensitive to certain smells so it can smell smell stronger to some people than others) but for most people it will dissipate to levels that they don’t notice in a few weeks (see post #2 here). All the latex that you will encounter has been tested for harmful substances and VOC’s either by Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut so any smell isn’t harmful (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Are there any sellers of memory foam toppers who air out their toppers before sending them?

Thanks!

Hi ddcfri,

I don’t know of any that specifically “air out” their toppers before they ship them outside of the normal manufacturing, storage, and shipping process which may vary from topper to topper but I’ve never asked them specifically how long their toppers have aired out before they ship them so you would need to call and ask them individually.

Phoenix

The double cushion design of The Ostrowpedic Pillow top pillow will relieve those pressure points . a topper alone will not be enough to help solve your issues.