Help!! Shoulder Probelms With New Mattress

Hi,

I recently bought a Loom & Leaf Relaxed Firm mattress and I have been sleeping on it a little over a month. I have noticed over the past few weeks that my arm that I lay on ( I am a side sleep) feels like it gets “stuck”/squished in the mattress and mild spams in my lower back . This is very uncomfortable and causes me shoulder and upper body soreness. I am female 5’11 & 130 lbs and have a herniated disc in my neck and lower back so I do need a supportive yet soft mattress. It has been suggested to me that I need a softer mattress. Another important factor is that the mattress has to sleep cool, I sleep VERY hot. Any mattress advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi ccg101,

I’m sorry to hear that the mattress you chose didn’t work out as well as you hoped for.

While it’s not possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because they can be very complex and there are too many unique unknowns, variables, and complexities involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or any “symptoms” they experience … there is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here (at least to the degree that any symptoms are the result of a mattress and not the result of any pre existing issues or circumstances).

Having said that … based on your comments it sounds like your mattress is too soft for your own unique needs and preferences.

it’s also possible that your symptoms on the mattress could be the result of a pillow issue because one of the most common causes for neck and shoulder issues is the pillow you are using. A suitable pillow is an essential part of good alignment for the head and neck and upper body and can reduce some of the pressure on your shoulders because the gap between the head and the mattress and the curve of the cervical spine needs to be supported just like all other parts of the spine. Like mattresses … there are certain “needs” that depend on body type and sleeping positions but with pillows, personal preferences plays a more important role because the face is much more sensitive to textures, temperature, smells, and other more subjective “feel” based properties of a pillow. There is more about choosing pillows in the main pillow topic here.

Memory foam is also a slow response material which can be more motion restricting than other types of foam (such as polyfoam or latex) that are more resilient or “springy” and can make it easier to move or change positions when you are sleeping on the matttress so the feeling of being “stuck” in a mattress is more common with memory foam than with other types of foam materials and it’s also possible that you may prefer a mattress that has a more resilient sleeping surface.

It’s not really possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

While many of the more modern memory foam or gel memory foam formulations will tend to be more breathable than older formulations of memory foam so most people don’t have temperature regulation issues on memory foam mattresses … in very general terms memory foam will tend to sleep warmer than other types of more breathable foam materials and components and for those that tend to sleep very hot it may be a good idea to consider other types of mattresses that don’t use thicker layers of memory foam in the top layers of the mattress.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If you are considering online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses that use different materials and components in a wide range of designs, budgets, firmness levels, and with different return/exchange policies that may be well worth considering as well.

If you are considering local options that you can test in person before a purchase then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

That’s too bad you’re not sleeping well, along with your unfortunate list of spinal issues.

Regarding the mattress, it certainly may be something as simple as adding a quality latex topper that addresses some of your issues. When people have specific health conditions like yours, they usually have a pretty good feel for their specific comfort needs and what does and doesn’t work well for them. Also, realize that this product is only a month old and will continue to soften as it breaks in.

Speaking for your shoulder/neck issues, first make sure that your pillow is supportive and thick enough that you’re able to maintain a decent alignment throughout the night. Many visco-elastic pillows can feel firm at first, but then sink throughout the night as they become warmer, so pay attention to that in case you’re using such a pillow. It’s also possible that your herniated disc in your neck requires you to sleep at a certain angle to provide relief, so again make sure that your pillow is maintaining this angle throughout the night. You may also wish to try using a pillow/body pillow behind you and lean slightly against this as you sleep upon your side. This effectively abducts your shoulder girdle and allows some pressure to be taken off of your should joint. Hugging a body pillow in front of you can also help with brining your shoulders forward a bit. You wouldn’t know if either of these remedies work for you without trying them, but it’s worth an experiment. I’ve had two neck surgeries for your issue and these things have helped me out. But pre-surgery, there was nothing that was assistive.

As for your back, if a mattress doesn’t contour enough it can allow too much lateral curvature for your low back. And since you already have a herniated disc on your low (lumbar) region, you’ll be sensitive to this. Just like with your shoulders, a topper certainly might be worth investigating.

There is another possibility that this mattress actually isn’t supportive enough for you. With softer foams and memory foam in the upper layers, you may actually be sinking in a bit too much on top (what you described as getting stuck) and the upper foams may not be providing you enough support in their own right. I know this sounds a bit counterintuitive, but with your unique characteristics this is also a possibility,

With a situation like yours, with these pre-existing conditions, there really is no substitute for visiting with a knowledgeable consultant that carries a line of quality products. It’s really the best way to get more definitive answers because of your unique situation.

I know that’s a lot of information but I hope it’s assistive.

Good luck!

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

We also manufacturer of foam products like cushions, bedroom furniture, seat padding foam.
Our Official web source : https://foamma.com/