Help tweaking a Naturepedic Pillowtop?

We recently purchased a Naturepedic EOS Pillowtop mattress which represents a big investment for us. We chose this because my wife and I have different needs/opinions on what makes a good mattress and we were able to split it down the middle. I’ve found a comfortable combination of: Firm Base Coils, Medium Latex, Soft Latex. My wife has tried three configurations so far: 1. Plush Coils, Soft Latex, soft latex; 2. Firm Coils, Medium Latex, Soft Latex, 3. Firm Coils, Soft Latex, Soft Latex. We’ll also try Plush Coils, Medium Latex, Soft Latex, however I think the issue for her is more about the general attributes of latex and she does not like it. She’s used to sleeping on much more cloud-like mattresses, a favorite of hers is the Prana Lotus Plush, however after reading how terribly those tend to fare on this very site, I insisted that we not throw money away.

I’m wondering if anyone has advice on how to work with the EOS Pillowtop that we have while recreating some of the cloud-like feeling that she is missing. Would a 3" wool topper do this, or would a wool/cotton/latex topper? Any other suggestions as to Naturepedic layer combinations that she might like? We are unfortunately not close enough to a showroom to make it a practical option to go there, we are however within the 100-day trial. I’d hate to have to return this mattress and start from scratch but I’d hate even more being stuck with a $5,000 mattress that does not suit both our needs.

Editing to add that the two highest-end Halcyon models from Naturepedic were much more in-line with her preferred comfort level, however a $10-12,000 mattress is not in the cards for us!

Hi mreesele.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your previous configurations and some of the difficulties you’ve run into. I hope your next configuration is successful and comfortable for your wife. This thread/convo is quite long but may be useful to you - they ultimately achieved “cloud feel” with their DIY.

I looked at the Prana Lotus - they use a super plush latex - you could try super soft/super plush talalay comfort layer as opposed to just soft. It also says it includes “foam” but doesn’t specify what kind. It’s possible there’s latex foam atop a memory or gel foam of some kind which helps to create that sinking-in type feel. Wool/cotton wouldn’t be likely to “approximate” the feel she liked from that mattress but can be soft and comfortable in their own right.

NikkiTMU

did you try the microcoils? maybe in the top layer. i have an eos classic and started with latex which i liked in the store, but just couldn’t ever get comfortable in-home. after a couple different configs i tried the microcoils and was in love. plush feeling yet supportive at the same time. and supportive in a way that foam just can’t be. don’t know how the microcoils would pair with the busier pillow top config, but i’d be worth a visit to the store to try it there and see if it’d be worth trying at home. honestly i liked the simpler eos classic over the pillow top, but different bodies = different prefs.