Help Wanted!

Help Wanted/ Needed!

After much research, both online and at stores, I have become even more confused since the day I started!

Hi Ket2593,

I think the best way to “unconfuse” you and give you a sense of direction is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice … and avoid the worst ones :slight_smile:

Phoenix

PS: You’ve posted the same message 3 times (once in another thread and two in this thread) so I’ve deleted two of them.

sorry this was my original message… for some reason it only sent my first sentence. apologies!

Help Wanted/Needed!

After much research, both online and at stores, I have become even more confused since the day I started. Everything from regular spring mattresses, memory foam, gel, to latex, they are all doing donuts in my head, and I honestly can hardly tell them apart (especially since now they all tend to run together, pillow tops, latex and memory, springs and latex, etc etc) All I do know is that i need something that is going to support my back because as of now i wake up constantly throughout the night in pain (like now for instance)
About myself: I am 24 year old female 5’5" 125 pounds and my boyfriend who I live with is 6’1" almost 200 pounds. I have a lower back slipped disk and am trying to avoid surgery (not that a mattress can perform miracles haha). Also he has many aches and pains from being a retired Marine fighting overseas. I am a combination sleeper, (mostly side sleeper, and stomach sleeper) and he is a side sleeper and back sleeper.
If anyone could help sort some of the information about “everything” (true and false information, or what would be beneficial to our needs etc etc) that would be greatly appreciated! Also suggestions would be gladly accepted as well! I am a student though and am on a budget, so keep in mind that a $4000 mattress is a little out of my price range!
Thank you!

thank you for deleting it! i was on my phone and it was freaking out! like i said it was only sending the first sentence for some odd reason, and i am glad that you caught that it sent it three times! i hope it doesnt continue that! i decided to get on my computer and retype it to be on the safe side! also, thank you for the link I had previously looked over that!

Some quick questions I have are what is the difference in a complete latex bed, and a latex/ foam bed. Also, what is the difference in talalay and dunlop. And last but not least, when “pillowtops” are mentioned in concerns to memory foam or latex beds, are they completely different than the huge sinking pillowtops on the spring mattresses that cave in and indent within months?

This page should help some with your question on the difference between talalay and dunlop process latex, as well has having some info on latex and foam in general. https://mattressunderground.com/mattresses/comfort-layers.html

This one has more info on the general support cores. Mattress support cores - Overview - The Mattress Underground

Post #4 has some great information on durability as it pertains to latex and poly foam support cores.

As for the pillowtop question, my interpretation is that is more a factor of the material making up that portion of the mattress than anything. A good high density latex or memory foam should feel much different from the old super-soft pillowtops that a lot of people are probably familiar with from years gone past.

Hi Ket2593,

It would depend on the specifics of each mattress you were comparing but post #2 here has more information about the differences between a latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress.

You can read a little more about the different types of latex in this article and in post #6 here and there is more about the differences in how they “feel” in post #7 here but it would be best to test each one in person to see which type of latex you prefer. Both are great materials.

The problem with the pillowtops that soften, cave in, or indent within months is not so much the pillowtop style of construction itself (which is like a topper that is attached to the mattress) but the quality of the materials inside the pillowtop and the upper layers of the mattress. Most of the mainstream pillowtop mattresses use fairly thick layers of lower quality soft polyfoam in the pillowtop which will soften and break down much more quickly than higher quality/density polyfoam, higher density memory foam, or latex. In other words … it’s the quality of the materials in the pillowtop that are more important than the pillowtop type of construction itself. This is true for all mattresses regardless of whether they are a pillowtop or not and you could have a mattress that was just as thick as a pillowtop except the layers were all inside a single cover instead of having a separate pilowtop attached and if there was too much lower quality foam in the upper layers you would still have the same problem even though the mattress wasn’t a pillowtop.

A mattress that uses either latex … higher density memory foam, or higher density polyfoam in the comfort layers would have much less chance of softening or breaking down prematurely than lower quality materials regardless of the type of construction.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for both your help! This has been a very overwhelming process! I started off thinking that a tempurepedic mattress was going to be my best bet, but I just could not fork over 5000 dollars for a mattress without doing any research (especially with the luck I have had so far which has not been good). The more I researched the more I got confused. I feel everyone is telling me that “there” (spring, memory, latex, or combinations) mattress will be the best thing to help my back. If there is any HONEST advice on which would be the best that would be much appreciated! Thank you for everything thus far!

Hi Ket2593,

As long as you follow the steps and suggestions in the guidelines and make sure you know the specifics of what is inside any mattress you are considering you will be in a great position to make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and which one is “best” for you and be able to make sure it doesn’t have any “weak links” that are more likely to soften or break down more quickly.

There is no such thing as a type of mattress that is “best for backs”. The mattress you are looking for is the one that is best for “YOUR” back and this is the one that has the best PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). In the right design … any type of mattress can keep your spine in alignment in all your sleeping positions which is what is best for anyone’s back.

Of course if you have any questions along the way feel free to post them here as well.

Phoenix