Help with a DIY Latex Hybrid

Hello all. This is my first post and I need some expert advice as I’ve never built a mattress, or owned a hybrid or latex mattress. I’ve learned much from this forum already so thanks! I’m trying to narrow down our queen DIY latex hybrid, and make sure this is the direction I want to go. We have a 15 year old memory foam mattress that was very supportive but is finally sinking us in and giving some back issues. The heat always bothered us, even with a wool/cotton cover. To give perspective I’m 5’ 8", 200 lbs with very wide shoulders, wife is 5’ 7" 125-130. Both back and side sleepers. Both hot sleepers, my wife especially.

Wanting to go cooler and more natural we checked out some pure latex beds. All were firm dunlop base with tops that varied from1"-3" soft dunlop. She liked them all and said whatever I want. I think she’s so light it doesn’t matter much for her. For me, I wasn’t totally convinced on the “rubber” feel (yes, I know latex is rubber). The 1" and 2" seemed really good on the back, but I could tell my shoulders would end up sore side sleeping. The 3" felt better on the side, but a bit too hot, and my butt sunk down a little too much for back sleeping.

I remember really liking a pillow top spring my grandma had, but can’t remember what it was. We went to a few stores and tried some name brands. The Sealy silver chill plush felt soft on top but firm in the springs. I liked the feel. But reviews show they don’t hold up in the long run, and I prefer the route of a small manufacturer. So now I’m thinking a coiled spring with latex top may do the trick.

After reading SCB’s review: https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/review-of-arizona-premium-mattress-co-mattresses-net with the guidance from phoenix, and many other posts this seemed like the direction I should head. On the list for now top to bottom:

12" Organic Cover
3" Medium Dunlop
8" Quantum Edge Elite pocketed coils
1" firm dunlop

I’m thinking coils and cover from Latex Mattress Factory, foam from Sleep On Latex or even a complete bed from Arizona Premium Mattress.

Thoughts? Do you think this come close to the spring/memory foam top feel without the heat? I’ve seen the 1" under the coils isn’t always necessary, but I thought it would support the coils over the slats of our platform, or give me a firm option on top of I needed it. Or, if the medium wasn’t soft enough, I could pull out the firm and get a 1" soft latex for the top. Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read my ridiculously ling 1st post. Feel free to let me know if I can better explain what I’m trying to achieve. Best, HNH

Not sure if this will help but we tried a few more at a local store and came across a clearance sale on an INTELLIbed Nightfall 16" Luxury Plush Mattress. It had a nice balance of soft comfort for the shoulders and pressure points but still very supportive. Looked like the layers were 2 1/2" gel matrix of their design, maybe 2" of latex and a pocketed Samson coil system. As much as I liked it, there was not enough edge support. On the right side of bed, if I rolled to the right too close to the edge I felt a downward slope. Deal breaker. No coils on the edge. Aside from that and concerns of heat related issues with the comfort layer I really liked it. Seems I need a bit of a plushness for the shoulders with enough support for my butt on the back sleeping. Wondering if any of the gurus here think I can get that with the latex hybrid I mentioned above, or have other ideas for me to ponder. Thanks!