Help with buying matresses for my boys

I went to Jerome to look at full size beds and realized we need mattress for them as well. My boys are 16 and 20 years I did purchased full sie bunk beds so they will not need to box spring or bottom box. . They tried DMC80BD42, Birthday Matress, for $350. Another one is the medium foam for $500. They like the feel. Since I have spent $700 for the full size bunk bed, I am going to spend more for the two matresses. I don’t mind spending about $1000 for both mattresses. Couldy you advise if these are good mattresses? If not, could you advise what other models and store to buy the mattreses? THANKS for all to response.

Hi Ilene,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are reasonably close to you.

Jeromes has several mattresses that are called “birthday” so if you can link to the specific two that you are considering I’d be happy to make some comments either about their quality or about any additional information you would you would need about each mattress to make an informed decision.

Outside of the quality/durability of the materials … the best choice would be based on your sons testing each mattress to decide on the one that was the best “match” for each of them in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Phoenix

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thanks for your quick responses and appreciate your mattress forum!

Here are the two matresses
http://www.jeromes.com/en/furniture/bedrooms/mattresses/mattresses,DMC80BD42
The other is Jerome’s Pedic Memory Foam 10" profile medium

I saw your link and location recommendation. I live in San Diego. What would be compariable with Ortho Matress and A Better Buy.

I couldn’t get the link from Jerome for the memory foam matress, so here’s the picture I took at Jerome. See attachment

I couldn’t get the link from Jerome for the memory foam matress, so here’s the picture I took at Jerome. See attachment

Hi Ilene,

The image you attached is upside down and I can’t read it very easily but it doesn’t appear to have the information I would need anyway. The information I would need to make any meaningful comments about the quality of either mattress is the thickness, type, and density of all the foam layers and type, gauge, and coil count of any innersprings in each mattress.

based on the sku number (DMC80BD42) I think that the Birthday 13 may be one of the mattresses you are considering and their description lists most of the necessary information (if you click on details).

They don’t list the density of the 5/8" layer of gel memory foam but it’s less than an inch so it wouldn’t have a significant effect on durability. The 2" layer of polyfoam under this is 1.8 lb density which is a good quality material. The Verticoil is an entry level innerspring but the innerspring isn’t normally the weak link of a mattress anyway. Overall … there are no obvious weak links in this mattress although of course it would also be important for your kids to test it for PPP to make sure it’s suitable for them to sleep on.

If this isn’t the one you are looking at I would need a link to the right mattress.

If you can also find a link with similar information for the other mattress you are considering (or find out the information from Jeromes) I’d be happy to make some comments about it as well. The minimum quality guidelines I would use for a memory foam mattress are listed in post #10 here.

Phoenix

PS: I deleted one of your posts which both had the same attachments

You are correct on the Birthday 13. I am including the descriptions and web link for the memory foam matress. Could you recommend other matresses that has equal or better quality with lower prices as these two?

Here’s the links:

http://www.jeromes.com/en/furniture/bedrooms/mattresses/mattresses,ESR11BD52

Jeromes Pedic 10"

3" Cool Touch™ Memory Foam (3 lbs.) with 10x greater heat dissipation than competing memory foam, shape-conforming pressure relief and greater airflow and breathability

Stretch Cover is specifically designed to contour with the memory foam as it conforms to your body’s shape. Removable for easy cleaning.

Orthopedic Support Base is made of a High-Density Support Foam which maintains its comfort and support for a lifetime

Compatable with adjustable frames.

Certi PUR-US certified - sleep with confidence.

http://www.jeromes.com/en/furniture/bedrooms/mattresses/mattresses,DMC80BD42

Birthday 13"

The Birthday Plush is an unbelievable value. We designed this entry-level mattress to have great comfort and style at an unbeatable price. The Birthday mattress features 5/8" Cool Support Gel Memory Foam for pressure relief and to help sleep cooler at night. The 4-way high performance stretch knit fabric stretches in all directions allowing the top fabric of the mattress to instantly conform to the shapes of your body. This mattress has Smart Zone Support, which provides 25-30% more support in the middle. The Birthday mattress will help prevent your hips and torso from sagging and bending lower in the mattress. Verti Coil counts: Twin 227, Full 374, Queen 460 and King 621.

With a firmness index of 3, the Birthday Plush is on the more plush end of our scale where a 1 is super plush and a 9 is extra firm. The Birthday Plush features a 20 year limited warranty.

Features Include:
•4 Way High Performace Stretch Knit Fabric •Fabric stretches in all 4 directions allowing for the top fabric of mattress to instantly conform to the shapes of your body

•5/8" Cool Support Gel Memory Foam •Great pressure relief and help sleep coller at night!

•2" Eco Foam 1.8 Density •Eco friendly high density foams that will provide comfort, and conformability

•460 Verti Coil Support System •Provides adequate back support

•Smart Zone Support •Provides 25-30% more support in the middle “zone” to help prevent your hips & torso from “sagging” & bending lower in the mattress

•Foam Encased Edge Support •Sleep comfortably all the way to the edge of the bed with a firmer edge to prevent “rolling” off your mattress

Hi Ilene,

The top 3" in the Jeromes Pedic 10" are 3 lb density memory foam so even without knowing the density of the polyfoam in the support layers it doesn’t meet the minimum quality guidelines I would suggest (4 lbs or higher) and I would tend to avoid it.

In terms of quality/durability the first mattress you linked would be a better choice.

There are too many variables, unknowns, and individual preferences involved for anyone to successfully recommend specific mattresses for someone else out of the many thousands of mattresses that are available in the market. I also don’t keep records of the specifics of all the materials in all the mattresses on the market (which is an impossible job in a market that is constantly changing) so you would need to find this out for any mattress you were interested in considering before I can make any meaningful comments. In terms of quality I would focus on memory foam mattresses that used memory foam in the range of 4 lbs or higher which is better quality and more durable than 3 lb memory foam. In more traditional innerspring mattresses I would focus on polyfoam that was in the range of 1.8 lbs density or higher in a one sided mattress and 1.5 lbs in a lower budget mattress where durability isn’t as big an issue or in a two sided mattress which can be flipped to extend the life of the mattress.

The information and guidelines on the site is designed to help you with “how” to choose rather than the specifics of “what” to choose which really isn’t possible to do on an individual level. I also don’t have any way to know which mattress would be the best match for someone else that is more accurate than their own personal testing (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If you find a mattress where your testing indicates that it is a good match for you (or your sons) in terms of PPP then I’m always happy to make comments about the quality of the materials inside it or to help you identify any weak links in the mattress if you can link to or list the specifics of all the layers and components.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better retailers or manufacturers I’m aware of that are close to you that may have some better options or possibilities and there is also a link to a list of online memory foam retailers or manufacturers included in the tutorial post (it’s post #12 here to save you looking through it) which may also be worth considering if you are comfortable with an online memory foam purchase.

Phoenix

To confirm, the Jeromes Pedic 10" is a better quality than the Birthday 13 matress? What do you think of the price?

As the for Birthday 13, my son likes it because the the top flush and don’t care much for the memory foam. Is this stil a good matress for the price? Is there other matress that lower price with equal or better?

Hi Ilene,

Yes … the Jeromes Pedic 10" uses 3 lb memory foam so I would avoid it. The Birthday 13 lists at least some better quality materials and is a reasonable price IMO but see the comments later on in this post. It has a fairly thin layer of memory foam in the quilting for the “surface feel” but it’s not what you would call a memory foam mattress.

I don’t keep a list of mattresses with their construction details and prices (that would be outside of any person’s ability) so you would need to look for good retailers or manufacturers in your area (or online) that had similar mattresses that were in a similar price range and were open and transparent about the materials inside them and then if you list the layers here I’d be happy to help you compare them with the Birthday 13.

After adding up the layers in the Birthday 13 though I would add a caution that the layers that are listed don’t appear to add up to 13" so there may be other layers in the mattress that could become the weak link of the mattress. The Verticoil is 7" and the listed foam layers are 2 5/8" so the total layers listed are under 10" which means that there are about 3" that are “missing” and I would want to know what they are before buying it.

If you are comfortable with an online purchase it may also be worth considering this mattress which is made by one of the manufacturers that is a member of this site. This mattress also made by Dreamfoam may also be worth considering and includes 2" of latex and a pocket coil. Local manufacturers may also have some good low budget options available as well.

Phoenix

I would like to sincerly thank you for your quick responses and advices. You are a GOD sent to consumers like us. THANK YOU and you will have good karma. I will continue the search and look for better quality. I am willing to pay more than $500 each matresses for my boys as the matresses will last longer and better for their backs.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!