Help with choosing mattress that is cool and doesn't transfer movement

We are replacing a sleep number bed as it is 12 years old and the pillow top is now flat and all attempts to add to the top have not been successful. Additionally, it is just too hot…no air circulation. It has been a good bed for us as my husband is a thrasher and the separate air mattresses have saved me. Replacing just the pillow top is $1K and that is just too much.
We are planning to get a king this time and would like you thoughts on the best cool mattress and one that does not transfer movement. We have slept on some really nice hotel mattresses but it seems those are made for the hotel chains even though some advertise they sell hotel mattresses. I have done all the things suggested in trying to keep cool at night and sleep with a fan on high and the window open, cool cotton sheets and sleep wear and am still to hot. My husband could probably sell the heat he produces at night, hence the decision to get a king and more space between us. Memory foam is out because of the heat. Not sure about latex. We are thinking a traditional inner spring mattress might be best but concerned about movement. Appreciate any thoughts on this decision. Thanks

Hi Nilsen,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you with how to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

There is no such thing as “the best” cool mattress (or “the best” by any other criteria) because there are many variables that can affect sleeping temperature relative to each person and there aren’t any tests or information available that compare the sleeping temperatures of specific mattress to each other. In general it’s best to take a more “materials oriented” approach to decide on which mattress would be be less likely to sleep warm for you. Post #2 here and the posts it links to has more information about the many variables that can affect sleeping temperature that can help you decide on the type of mattress and the materials that would likely be best for you. In terms of different types of foam materials … memory foam will generally be the warmest followed by polyfoam and latex will tend to be the most breathable and coolest of all the foam materials (Talalay more than Dunlop). Gel memory foam will usually be a little cooler than regular memory foam when you are first going to sleep but this will depend on the specific type of gel memory foam and once temperatures equalize then they can sleep warmer for some people as well compared to other types of foam (such as polyfoam and latex). Natural fibers are more breathable and cooler than any type of foam. Springs are also more breathable and cooler than foam materials but the layers that are closest to your body will have more effect on sleeping temperature than layers that are deeper in the mattress and most innersprings are used for support (outside of microcoils that are used in comfort layers) and the materials above the springs will have more effect on sleeping temperature than the innerspring itself. The type of mattress protector and sheets you use can also have a significant effect on sleeping temperature.

The most reliable way to test for motion isolation on a mattress is with your own personal testing because you will quickly feel how motion isolating a mattress is when you test it with both of you on the mattress. In general terms though memory foam is the most motion isolating type of foam (and also the warmest) followed by latex followed by memory foam. Polyfoam, latex, and pocket coils are also good materials for motion isolation in support cores. Innersprings that use helicals to attach the coils together (Bonnell, Offset, and Continuous coils) will tend to transfer motion more than pocket coils. I would also avoid mattresses that use a box spring (with springs in it) under the mattress because these can transfer motion as well and solid foundations that have no flex will be a better choice in terms of motion isolation. Split king mattresses are also a good way to isolate movement between each side of a sleeping system but these will have a gap in the middle to different degrees and have their own pros and cons as well (see post #8 here and this topic).

You can read a little more about hotel mattresses in post #3 here and the posts it links to. Most hotel mattresses that are sold to the public are significantly overpriced and use lower quality less durable materials and I would avoid them.

Phoenix