Help with Latex decision.

A few questions.

I live in Arizona , so tomorrow I will be going to check out Sleepez.

My bed history. i have been spending 7k in three beds in six years. Enough is enough. Stearns used to be good until they went to crap. Last bed was sealy optimum firm Radiance. Was the best year of sleep I ever had, then half way through next year the foam is failing, causing pain. I have severe back and neck issues.

I have to a have a FIRM bed. Any give, and I hurt. I sleep on my side, but still need the firm support. We just purchased a tempurpedic contour select.( To give you an idea how I like my bed to feel ) . It was PERFECT, Firm yet a softness on top and I did not sink. It was delivered, and I was SEVERELY allergic to it. Not just off gassing annoyance, but true allergy to it! Never got to actually sleep on it, had to return it.

There are no, and I mean NO other beds in any stores I have tried that do not hurt me to lye on it. Tomorrow, I am going to try beds at SleepEz. . I am tall, 5"11 and 240 pounds. Weight is mostly in hips, rear .Side sleeper.

Would dunlop be the more supportive for me? I tried a bed once with talalay on top and I hated the bouncy feel. I have a little 2 inch memory foam topper I can put on top for my hips, but I want the bed solid, and supportive. I am thinking 100 percent dunlop. I am thinking Firm medium Firm. I want the bed to last.

I am tired of beds that break down in two years or less.

I also have an adjustable base, so I want to stay at 10 inches. Now, if I had talalay in the center, would it still feel bouncy? Would it make the support better? Support is my number one concern. I can tell off the bat if the support is lacking as I can feel the give.

One more question. Do you think Arizona Premium Mattress or sleepyz is better? If so , why? I see sleepez seems to have more info on their website, but AZ mattress is cheaper. Thanks

Hi amatrine,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists you are considering.

Unfortunately this is a fairly common experience for those that purchase a major brand mattress that uses lower quality materials in the comfort layers (see the guidelines here).

There is a lot more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” that can help each person decide on the types of materials they are most comfortable having in their mattress or on the certifications that may be important to them. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

The only reliable way to assess the “safety” of a material in more general terms is based on any certifications they have for harmful substances and VOC’s and while for most people their memory foam would be “safe enough” … Tempurpedic is not CertiPUR certified and doesn’t have any specific certifications for VOC’s that I’m aware of and anecdotally they have the most complaints about their smell and sensitivities to their material (see here) but they are also the most widely sold memory foam mattress as well so some of the frequency of complaints would be the result of the sheer number of mattresses they sell.

It’s also possible that even with a certification a particular person may have a specific sensitivity to certain materials that for most people would be fine. In very general terms and based only on anecdotal information and “reports” you will find that memory foam will have the highest incidence of people that have complaints about “symptoms” they they experience when they sleep on memory foam followed by polyfoam followed by latex.

[quote]There are no, and I mean NO other beds in any stores I have tried that do not hurt me to lye on it. Tomorrow, I am going to try beds at SleepEz. . I am tall, 5"11 and 240 pounds. Weight is mostly in hips, rear .Side sleeper.

Would dunlop be the more supportive for me? I tried a bed once with talalay on top and I hated the bouncy feel. I have a little 2 inch memory foam topper I can put on top for my hips, but I want the bed solid, and supportive. I am thinking 100 percent dunlop. I am thinking Firm medium Firm. I want the bed to last.[/quote]

The choice between Dunlop and Talalay is a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about the differences between them in post #7 here.

“Support” is often misunderstood and many people believe incorrectly that “firmer is better” or “more supportive” when the real goal is to keep the spine in good alignment and this requires the type of contouring support that allows some parts of the body to sink in more and some parts of the body to sink in less and this will vary on an individual basis. There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support/alignment” and “comfort/pressure relief” and “feel” and how they interact together.

The only reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP and whether it will provide the combination of firmness and softness that will provide suitable support and keep you in good alignment in all your sleeping positions over the course of the night will be based on careful testing or on your own personal sleeping experience.

Talalay is more resilient than Dunlop but you would notice less of a difference in deeper layers than you would in upper layers so since this is somewhat subjective the only way to know how “bouncy” or “springy” a mattress feels to you will also be based on your own personal sleeping experience.

Both of them are members of this site which means that I think highly of both of them and I believe they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, transparency, and knowledge.

While I do recommend the members here “as a group” … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial)or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of whether anyone else has the same criteria or would make the same choice

Once you are down to a list of finalists and you are confident that they would all be a good match for you in terms of PPP (or you have good options after a purchase if you aren’t) and that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them in terms of durability then you would be down to finalists that are comparing “good to good”. If there are no clear winners between them at this point (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely make a good quality/value choice and (post #2 here) can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Sometimes a final choice may even come down to very minor differences or can sometimes just be a matter of “gut feel” or “educated best judgement”.

Phoenix

Ended up buying the natural , flipable, all dunlap. 40 ild. Very happy with the feel of this… They rolled it up and we drove it home:)

Hi amatrine,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I will for sure. Went in intending to buy the layers, but this one was so perfect for my back, and so happened to be less expensive. Very happy. Been on here for hours now pain free. Wiill update in a month.

Hi amatrine,

Thanks for the initial feedback. It sounds very promising so far and I’m looking forward to your feedback in a month or so.

Phoenix

The Naturel’ had the rite back support , but hurt my shoulders and upper back, and hip. Tried memory foam topper , was too soft for my back, tried material one, was too hard.

I exchanged it for the kiss firm mattress. This one is perfect! Not full latex , but With my joint laxixity issues, was not meant to be.

This matress I have no pain . Does not feel like. my old memory foam, actually feels like a spring bed with no springs. Nice to finally get some painless sleep. … Finding a bed for me was hard trying to find the correct combo of back support and yet pressure point relief . I was about to give up and get some hay bails and make my own bed, lol Thankful to sleepez for the return policy and thankful for the kiss bed .

Hi amatrine,

Thanks for the update.

I’m sorry to hear that your Naturale didn’t work out as well as you hoped for but it’s great to hear that your new KISS mattress turned out to be a such a great choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress once again :slight_smile:

Phoenix