Help with Latex/Memory Foam DIY Build causing lower back pain - 5'11" 165lbs 23 BMI

Hi there!

I started the DIY journey last year, but I started having shoulder and neck pain with my first build (2" 20 ILD dunlop → 2" 20 ILD - HR → 3" 28 ILD - HR —> 3" 40 ILD -HD). I tried different pillows, but nothing seemed to help.

Since then, I’ve tried every combo except adding talalay because I can’t afford it.

I recently decided to try adding a 3" memory foam layer and removing the 2" 20 ILD HR foam. I tried it above the 2" dunlop, and below. The shoulder pain is gone with the memory foam as the top layer, but recurs when below the dunlop. I’ve also tried the 3" memory foam with the dunlop removed as well.

The problem is that every combo has resulted in pretty severe lower back pain. Everything feels comfortable to sleep in, but when I get up, the pain is evident.

I’m trying to figure it out by doing timelapses of my body position; these are some stills trying different pillows on the current build (2" 20 ILD dunlop → 1" cooling memory foam → 3" charcoal bamboo memory foam → 3" 28ILD HR → 3" 40ILD HD)

To me, it seems too soft. But since the shoulder pain calls for soft, and the lower back pain calls for firmer, I’m stuck.

I have layers to play with though, so I’m hoping I have the materials for the right build here. Any help would be much appreciated!

5’11" - 165lbs - 23 BMI

Hi SleepyChrister.

Welcome back to our mattress forum! Sorry to hear your DIY hasn’t quite panned out yet.

I’d be interested to know what would happen if you were to sleep on a medium layer. Or, what would happen with the 3" memory foam layer and nothing else atop your 3" 28ILD, and 3" 40 ILD. Does that become immediately too firm, too fast?

There was a DIYer in here who had successfully jimmy rigged a zoned mattress and I’ve been looking for the post, but haven’t had luck yet in finding it.

I’d also be interested to know what supporting your waist does. Would you be able to fold/roll up some towels to help fill in that gap in a more supportive way and see if that helps the lower back pain?

Sometimes, comfort layers that are too thick can be the culprit hence why I’m curious as to what would happen if you reduce to just the memory foam.

I also hope that other expert eyes see your post and chime in with ideas! We will have to tossing layers around for days, haha.

NikkiTMU

Hi Nikki!

Thank you so much for the reply! I’m excited to get into it with some better tuned (and rested) eyes!

I removed the 2" dunlop. With the 3" memory foam alone, it was too firm from the get go. When I tried this for a few nights last week, the memory foam heated up and I would wake up with even less support on my lower back, plus my shoulders were hitting the lower HR foam which made that pain worse as well.

I just tried the 1" cooling memory foam → 3" memory foam though and it was more comfortable. These were the photos.

and with a blanket folded up beneath my waist

I do think the problem stems from my waist sinking too much into the mattress, more so than my hips or shoulders. I have some 1" HD foam from an old mattress than I can cut up as well to jimmy rig a zoned area.

I also had the ridiculous idea before of using a foil emergency blanket underneath the sheets under my waist to try and create a temperature barrier between my body and the memory foam at specific places LOL. Clearly…I’m losing my mind.

Your ribs are sinking too much and your hips and shoulders aren’t sinking enough. You would be a good candidate for innersprings. Have you tried that? I know these builds get expensive but you can buy a used mattress and take the springs out for less than buying them new. Try and find a brand that has core support or at least a decent coil unit with a good count. How have you done on a hybrid in the past? Lower back pain?

I also think you have too many layers going on here. If you stack two firmer supports together it’s best to do so with the same density. Two 2 or 3 inch supports vs one solid one changes the entire feel of the mattress. I feel like you might do better with for example a solid 4-6 inch support core and a simple 2 inch topper and 1 inch comfort. Anything more than that will be working against you. You don’t want to do too many transition layers if you’re a lighter weight sleeper. Less is more but you need the right support to help the foam to conform to your body sinking in the right spots yet contouring or pushing against the empty spaces. If the foam is too thick you will just sink.

Here are my armchair mattress pro suggestions;

1” memory foam
3” 28 HR
3” 40 HD

1” memory foam
2” 20 dunlop
3” 40 HR

2” 20 dunlop
3” 28 HR
3” 40 HR

How do you feel just on 28 HR and 40 HR? Is the 28 too firm?
Remember, don’t try too many configurations in one day. Do one a day because once the soreness starts to sink in you can no longer accurately asses other arrangements. Your body needs time to adjust.

Please let me know how these feel. I can do my best to try and help you find the right or best combo.

Hey JemmaAZ!

Thanks so much for taking a look and the recommendations.

I haven’t had innersprings in quite a few years. My old foam mattress from Sealy was very comfortable for years, before the dip that formed in the middle started this whole journey.

The 2 x 3" layers as the support was something I was concerned about from the beginning, I just didn’t want to commit 100% to a 6" core of something that turned out to be the wrong firmness.

Yeah laying directly on the 28HR and 40HR feels much too firm; too much pushback on the shoulders and hips. Even with the 20HR over the 28/40 combo has too much pressure in the same areas. I’m wondering if gluing only the two support layers together would help in any way? They’re never really going to be apart, so if there’s a benefit to this, I’m open to it.

How does the 20 just over the 28 feel? 28 ILD is a true medium and most mattress companies will use 28 ILD foam right over their support layer…most often with hybrid constructions or over springs. This ILD should theoretically work for most people. That said, they usually don’t use a greater than 2 inch height as the thicker a foam is the more firm it gets. At this point I would be very curious how you would feel about either the 28 ILD or the 20 ILD latex over coils.

Have you had a chance to try any of these as a topper over a regular spring or coil mattress? Wondering how the foam would feel with more of a contouring base.

I wouldn’t glue anything together just yet. I think the biggest issue here is needing to find the right support ILD for you before you do anything else. It’s going to be anywhere from 20 ILD to 28 ILD…but we need the right foundation/base later to check that effectively.

Also, as for the support or foundational layer goes I wouldn’t go over 35 ILD, especially as you go up in height and density. 4 inches at 35 ILD has virtually no give in it, for example. For a lighter weight sleeper, you just don’t need that much foundational support.