Help with mattress configuration

Hey Ken, wife and I are looking for some mattress configuration help. We are currently on a king luxi and plan on returning. Previously we were on diy queen latex that you guys had made me a ten inch encasement for. While that mattress was good it was never perfect for us. It’s config was 2inch of soft natural Talalay, 2in of 5lb memory foam, 3 inches of medium Dunlop from spindle, and 3 inches of firm Dunlop from spindle.
About us, I am 5’11 235 lbs, broad hips and shoulders. My wife is 5’7" and 250 lbs, and currently beginning a pregnancy (just started second trimester). She also has broad shoulders. She prefers side sleeping, I prefer side or back. Neither of us on stomach. I find I often go to sleep on my side but wake up on my back but mainly I think cause none of my recent mattresses have felt good on my shoulders and she complains of this also. She likes a really comfy/pillowtop plush feel when getting in bed. I personally don’t care, I enjoy that feel also but normally find that to not be supportive enough. I would love to find something that can be plush/pillowy on top but also still supportive enough. Part of me thinks physically, even though I have broad shoulders my wasted weighs more so will always sink in more unless I get something zoned. Also, we do use an adjustable bed, so I know latex is the way to go for conforming to that the best. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks

Hello and thank you so much for the inquiry! If you and your wife want a plush, pillow top feel without sacrificing the support you need for your back, you may want to consider getting a 7" mattress with a 3" “free-floating” topper . Having a topper that’s not encased with the rest of your mattress will allow that topper enough spacial freedom to curl upwards when you lay on it, so it will actually curl up and around your body making for a very plush and enveloping feel. Also, since you’re not selecting layers of a softer density, you’re not losing any support needed to maintain proper spinal alignment.

Based on the information you’ve provided, I would absolutely recommend medium Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop for your side, and for your wife’s side I would absolutely recommend medium Talalay over firm Dunlop over extra firm Dunlop. Please keep in mind that our initial recommendations have a 90% success rate (we only have a 10% layer exchange rate and an even lower return rate) so there’s a 90% chance that the above recommendation works perfectly for the two of you. However, if you try that and find that it’s too firm, please give us a call and we’ll ship you a layer exchange for a flat-rate $30 fee for the first exchange. If you try this setup and find that it’s too soft, you can unzip the cover and rearrange the layers to get a firmer feel.

We used to carry zoned layers but we stopped for 2 reasons: we’ve found that if you get the right densities, the right type(s) of latex, the right type of cover (either the cotton & wool or 4-way stretch), etc. that a zoned mattress really isn’t necessary; we also found that it makes adjusting the mattress difficult and expensive, in addition to complicating the entire process from start to finish.

Thank you for the very quick reply. How would the configuration work technically? A 7 inch mattress that’s two 3 inch layers plus encasement that’s split config for each side? And thAn would our topper be a full king size topper? Or would that be split as well? Does the topper have some sort of cover or just the raw latex? Thank so much!

You’re exactly right. You’d basically have 4 half layers inside of a 7" cover then a top 3" layer that is not split. The topper will have a 4-way stretch organic cotton cover that is very soft and stretchy and about as thick as a couple of bed sheets. Since it is so thin, if the layer in the topper is split, you would actually feel that split. If you want the left side of the topper to feel different than the right side of the topper, you can still have two different firmnesses within the topper; we would just seam to different layers together. We use a non-toxic water-based glue that is Green Guard certified.