Help with pain from Obasan mattress and wool topper

Hello

We purchased an Obasan mattress over two years ago. It is a 10” latex with three layers and zones. The configuration that was recommended (and purchased) from bottom up is:
-layer 1: medium (32-35 ILD density 70-75)
-layer 2: soft (20-22 ILD 60-65 density) at head, medium at hips and firm (38-42 ILD 80-85 density) at feet
-layer 3 soft.

We have a quality foundation with slats that are more than what is recommended.

After sleeping on it for about 5 months, I added a 3” wool topper because we both were in a lot of pain. Especially in the hips but upper back as well. The topper definitely helped but never completely. My hip pain is constant and my neck/shoulders too. Part of this might be the shredded latex pillow- it seems to shift away from supporting me and I end up on the mattress? It’s an Obasan pillow as well.

So I don’t know what to do. We don’t want to spend another 5k. My one idea is adding a layer of soft latex to the top before the wool. Or instead of? Would this work? If so, what should I be looking for? I want organic for sure, no memory foam.

Thank you so much.
Laura

Hi Lauramtk.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about the pain on your mattress. Are you feeling the mattress is too firm, or is it that the mattress is too soft?

This article about the different needs of the varying sleep positions could help narrow down the root cause, and you may also find this reply from Phoenix relevant to neck pain and here is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

This would be the easiest place to troubleshoot and start, at least where neck and shoulder pain is concerned! Do you have any other pillows you can swap out for?

I think this is going to boil down to what you’re actually needing. Are you back sleepers, side sleepers? Combo?

NikkiTMU

1 Like

Thank you for the reply…I forgot to include sleep info. We are both side sleepers. Also I am 145lbs and my husband is 180 lbs. I think the bed is too firm just given the stiffness in the hip and shoulder pain. When I was sleeping on something less supportive I found my lower back hurt not stiffness and aches like this.
The pillow issue is definitely something we need to trouble shoot. I think shoulders and back might be mattress but not the neck.

Hi Laura,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having pain.
I’m an Obasan mattress owner also - 10" - 3.5 years ago - and we sell them also.
As Nikki said, the pillow may be the issue for your neck. A wool pillow may offer firmer support for you as shredded latex tends to be softer.
As a side sleeper, a pillow between my knees helps.
When we got our mattress, I thought I wanted medium on the bottom, but ended up switching it out for firm as I was having pain. For me, that resolved it.
I’m looking at the order of your squares also…have you tried them in a different configuration? I’m wondering if medium at head, firm on hips, and soft on the feet would give you more support.
The good thing about the Obasan is that you can move things around to see if it helps. If you haven’t done that (and maybe you have) I might try that first before getting another topper.
Edited to add: When you try out a different configuration, one of you can lie down on the bed on your side and the other person can observe the spine - it should be neutral or straight. This may help you see where you need more or less support to bring things into line. Sometimes more cushioning helps, sometimes more support helps.
You can also try this with your bed as you have it now, so as to assess how to move things around.
Also, I would suggest calling where you bought it and consulting with a staff member who could help advise you.
I hope this helps you move toward pain-free nights!
Katie

1 Like