Help with Topper(s)

About 6months ago I purchased a Medium Brooklyn Bedding Best-mattress-ever model. Over time, I determined that the mattress is just too firm for me and that the pressure points I was experiencing (in my shoulders) were not leading to a good night sleep. I am a side-sleeper, 140lb, 5’8" male with broad shoulders (for my frame). Thus, I need my shoulders to sink in a bit while also getting good support.

About a month ago, I bought a 3" tempurpedic topper to help soften up the mattress. The good new is that the quality of my sleep has improved, in I fall into a deeper sleep. However, after about 6hrs I still tend to wake suddenly with pressure points in my shoulders (and sometimes hips). Furthermore, the support is not as good and I frequently wake up with a stiff back.

I’m considering further modifications to try and improve things, and am considering the following:

1. Inserting a 2" 5.3lb memory foam topper in between the tempurpedic topper and the mattress.
  2. Inserting a 2" 19ILD latex (blend) topper in between the tempurpedic topper and the mattress.
  3. Switching to a 3" 19ILD latex (blend) topper (although in all my trials, I find that I prefer the feel of memory foam)

I know the only sure way is to try each option; but as toppers are generally non-refundable, I was hoping to get your insight as to which “likely” scenario to try first. Also, please let me know if there is another option I should try.

Overall, I really like the quality and materials used in the mattress, but also realize that perhaps I should give up on it and go with something different.

Thank you!

Hi Maverick76er,

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose, it’s unfortunately not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for a combination of toppers for you because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person, and there’s nothing that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Regarding adding toppers, there is quite a bit of good information about selecting a topper and links for some of the better topper sources of which I am aware in post #2 here. There is also a list of sometoppers that can be returned here.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be useful as well.

Of the three scenarios you listed, the best option would be placing latex between your topper and the mattress. You said you desired the feel of memory foam, so placing latex on top would negate that. Adding more memory foam would allow for more sinking in, which you are complaining about. Adding latex in between the topper and mattress will provide for a bit more comfort, but won’t sink in as much as using a second topper of memory foam.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix!

Hi Phoenix,

Again, thanks for all the help you provide. One last question: in your experience with how layers interact, would you recommend going with a 1" or 2" layer underneath my existing topper?

For reference, my existing topper measures at ~2.75"

Thanks!

Hi Maverick76er,

You’re most welcome.

That’s again something, as I mentioned in my earlier reply, that I unfortunately can’t answer for you, as you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress.

From post #8 that was linked to in the topper guidelines I mentioned in my earlier reply, which you may find helpful:

[i]If the mattress needs just a “touch to a little” extra softness or a softer “surface feel” … then a 1" topper is usually enough.

If you need a little to a fair bit of extra softness and pressure relief … then a 2" topper would be in the average range.

If you need a fair bit to a lot of extra softness then a 3" topper would probably be the best choice.

Heavier weights generally do better with firmer and thicker toppers.

Lighter weights generally do best with softer and thinner toppers.

In general … 19 - 24 ILD in latex would be considered to be in the soft range for “average” body types while very light body types may be OK with an ultra soft 14 ILD and heavier body types would probably do better with 28 ILD and above.[/i]

As you would be placing this extra layer of foam beneath your upper layer, the impact of the additional layer will be minimized somewhat as compared to placing the topper directly on top of the mattress.

Phoenix