Help

We have a 12 year old S&F two sided pillow top that we love. I feel like its time for a new mattress. I am 5 foot 10 and weigh 145. My husband is 5 foot 11 and weighs 245. We are both back and side sleepers. I enjoy a soft mattress. I think he could sleep on any surface!, I have been doing a lot of research and trying mattress’s at local retail stores. I know that we do not want any of these store mattress’s. I visited the Original Mattress Factory in Fort Worth. I tried the two latex mattress’s that where in the show room. I thought they were to firm. Peter put a softer layer on top and that felt better. He suggested a 22/28/24. What do you think? Also, how much can I custom the mattress? Do you have any suggestions? I have also looked at Plushbed I liked their trail period and refund policy. We are new to latex so I am a bit scared to take the plunge! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you.

Donna

Hi DDBD,

You are certainly looking at a good quality/value mattress but the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion about which mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is also more information in post #2 here about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them.

They would be a much more reliable source of information about the options they have available to customize their mattresses than I would so I would discuss this directly with them.

The best suggestion I have would be to follow all the steps in the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

You can see some comments about Plushbeds in post #2 here and a forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click the link) will bring up much more information and comments/feedback about them as well. I would keep in mind that their “sale” prices are always in effect so they would be their “regular” price not a “sale” price (see post #9 here). They certainly use good quality materials and would be a “better than average” choice compared to most mainstream mattresses but I would make some careful “value comparisons” with some of the other latex options that are available to you.

If you are considering an online purchase then the tutorial includes this link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency and many of them also make latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would be well worth considering.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between your “finalists” in terms of suitability, durability, and “value” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

You may also have seen this already but just in case you haven’t the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Dallas / Ft Worth area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked) including The Original MAttress Factory of course are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix