Hidden in plain sight!

Thanks for the wealth of information here. Very helpful.

We had decided to narrow our search to those companies that manufacture (not assemble) their mattress here in the US and sell direct to the public. We have looked online but thanks to your membership list, discovered a local gem we did not realize was in our area … and we have been here for 35 years.

We visited Buis Mattress in Holland, Mi this morning. Helpful, knowledgeable, transparent. Nice selection of coil mattresses and a couple of choices in latex. Got a tour of the manufacturing facility and best of all a tour of old mattresses they have picked up from customers. Learned a great deal about the shenanigans competitors use in their mattresses. Not bashing. Just the way the discussion veered and we were able to see first hand some of the things others do.

Well built mattresses and pillow tops. No pressure. Nice facility. Pretty sure we will be going back to purchase from them. Much different experience than the other local manufacturer/seller in the area … Jonathan Stevens. Glad we found them.

Hi Amiless1,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

As you’re aware, Buis Mattress is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about mattress construction.

Please let me know when you return and what, if any, purchase you end up making there.

Good luck in your process! I’m glad you found them.

Phoenix

The first visit to Buis narrowed down which mattress we wanted. Second visit allowed us the luxury of confirming we had made a good decision for us. Third visit was not necessary but we chose to stop in to order. Met the owner and his three English Setters. Beautiful, well behaved dogs.

Queen & foundation ordered without the fire retardant (Rx allows us to have it done this way). 400 with motion control. Although I doubt the motion control will make any difference on an innerspring mattress, small thing to add to keep my partner happy. Should be delivered 1 week from today. 5% Mattress Underground discount and 2% cash discount.

Luna mattress protector ordered as well. We have opted not to add a topper at this time, preferring to see how we sleep on it and adding later if necessary.

I must say, we have talked to two employees and the owner. All knowledgeable. Each one takes the time to explain what they have, how it works for you, the pros and cons of each for our situation. Not once did someone try to close a sale. First class all the way.

Although I would have been comfortable ordering online … whether from Buis or someone else … it was nice to try each mattress and then try each one with various toppers. True luxury to have them so close to home.

Highly recommend Buis for the buying process. Trust I’ll feel the same after owning the mattress for a few months.

Hi Aimless1,

Thank you for your update, and congratulations on ordering your new mattress!:slight_smile: You certainly made a good quality/value choice.

I also appreciate your details about your visit at Buis and your positive experience there. It is always nice when you visit and interact with knowledgeable sleep professionals, and getting the extra face-to-face interaction and the chance to try out a product in person is often worth the (sometime) small extra premium you might pay at a brick and mortar store.

I’m looking forward to your follow-up comments about the mattress after you’ve had a chance to try it out for a while, as you mentioned.

Phoenix

Just want to chime in and mention that we also bought our mattress from Buis a few months ago. I checked our receipt and it says “400 Sublime Support” so wondering if it’s the same mattress you purchased. We have zero problems with motion control, by the way, so happy with that. We also elected to forego the fire retardant with an RX, so we are pleased to have a chemical free and cooler, more breathable mattress.

Buis actually made our mattress (and a special foundation) in a custom Olympic queen size, which we LOVE! Can’t believe the difference just 6 additional inches makes! I can also say the same “hidden from plain sight” as I spent several hours on-line trying to find a store that would make a custom Olympic mattress for us. Found a few many states over, and then happened upon Buis, who was just miles away.

We have found the mattress to be slightly firm, so we added a padded mattress pad (and a mattress protector) which makes the mattress perfect for us. Bought both of those from on-line retailers as you can’t find custom Olympic queen size bed linens in brick and mortar stores. Found nice Olympic queen sheets on-line as well.

I’m happy to echo your positive experience with Buis Mattress!

Hi riverrapids,

Thank you for the update on your Buis mattress purchase – I’m glad you’re sleeping well!

Phoenix

Good to hear! Glad you’re enjoying your Buis mattress.

I don’t have the receipt with. Near as i recall the name is slightly different but the mattress would be the same.

We’re coming from a memory foam back to an innerspring mattress. My partner is one half my size . I don’t feel her when she gets up. She definitely feels me. However, with the motion control, no flame retardant and mattress protector/pad perhaps that will be abated.

If Buis advertises it isn’t where I would see it (print/tv) or hear it (radio). In a part of Holland that I seldom get to. However, they are doing something right. I saw the delivery schedule with 2-4 deliveries scheduled everyday and 6 on Friday (none on Saturday). Takes alot of mattress sales to buy enough kibbles to feed three dogs.

BTW, the dogs were kept in the office off the main showroom. They were not back in the manufacturing or storage part of the building. Looked like this was a special treat for them to come along on a Saturday morning.

Photo of Buis queen mattress and foundation

Hi aimless1,

Thank you for taking the time to check back in and offer a photo of your new mattress. Very nice! I look forward to future updates and I hope it performs as well for you as it looks.

Phoenix

Thanks for a photo of your new mattress!

We have a different mattress, I see–don’t think we have as much cushioning on top as you have. Our bed frame was originally quite high off the floor (4 poster bed) so bed height was a concern for us. Our bed is even just slightly taller now with the new foundation, bunkie board, and mattress, but we are very happy with it. and thankfully knew what to expect from our planning. I love to hop up into it, fall asleep in it, wake up in it, and even make it! :slight_smile:

I’m eager to hear what you think of your new mattress as well, once you’ve slept on it.

We moved from a memory foam back to the innerspring. It’s going to take a bit of adjustment. I’d say we’re in the dating stage at this point. Figure a week to two weeks to adjust. 2 nights does justify an opinion either way.

I can’t imagine the bed being much higher. I’m 6’2" and I stretch to reach the bed. My bride is 5’3" and it’s entertainment to watch her get in bed. :wink: Hope we enjoy our new mattress as much as you do yours!

First week - I’m loving the new mattress, partner isn’t. She loves the support but needs it “softer”. Next up, add a mattress pad. :lol:

HI Aimless1,

As you’ve only had the product for one week, there will still be some “false firmness” in the mattress and it should soften a bit more in the next month or so. If possible, I’d recommend holding off on getting a topper or pad, just in case you don’t find it necessary after your new mattress has a more “broken-in” comfort that more accurately reflects what it will feel like moving forward. But if you have to add some comfort, there certainly are a myriad of offerings in mattress pads and toppers available.

Phoenix

We removed the Luna mattress protector which is advertised to be waterproof. I had noticed when putting it on the mattress that the surface seemed somewhat rigid. My thinking is that this may be the cause of the “hard” or “false firmness” feeling.

Put on an old mattress pad which is not waterproof. Noticeable difference. The mattress feels “softer” or less firm. We’ll give it a week and see how this goes.

BTW, we don’t need the protector to be waterproof but I didn’t see an option for a non waterproof Luna protector. We’ll take it to our seasonal and use it on the Queen sofa bed when our young grandchildren visit.

Just an idea that worked for us–

We added a plush mattress pad and thought yes–good improvement!
Then we layered another exact same mattress pad on top of the first–GREAT improvement!
(Got the suggestion from a satisfied reviewer of the mattress pad we purchased).

Both fit just fine under the our fitted sheet. Maybe seems like “overkill” but it worked so well for us that I thought maybe you’d like to consider that! No specialized topper needed!

Thanks for the suggestion. Great idea!

Hi riverrapids,

Thanks for your input and suggestion!

Phoenix

Mattress pads helped. Sadly, not enough.

Mark @ Buis was kind enough to load us a foam pad (4 lb) to see if that helps. Early indication is that it does.

To be continued.

Hi Aimless1,

Coming from your memory foam product after three weeks it seems as if it’s still a bit of an adjustment for you, so I hope the topper will help you with that. I’m glad Mark was able to loan you something to test out. The good news is that the mattress will still become a bit more plush over time, but hopefully this pad will help you out and provide you more comfort, and it may be that you simply prefer the feel of memory foam for your upper comfort layer.

I’m looking forward to your next update.

Phoenix

Going from 17 years on memory foam to inner springs is an adjustment … sinking in to floating on top. So that’s certainly part of it. Having the mattress break in takes time and we get that as well. Just taking small steps to get to where we’re both happy.

My cloudy crystal ball is that the topper gets us through the adjustment period. After that we’ll probably use it at our seasonal or keep it and use it during the winter to snuggle in on cold winter nights :slight_smile: