High quality bamboo and/or cotton 12" cover

Looking for a very high quality 12" cover for cal king size. I came across sleeplikeabear but I’m not sure about their quality.

Hi xjbku.

Good to see that you are considering high-quality covers as they have a major influence on how a mattress looks and performs … cheap or thin mattress covers will not properly protect the foam inside and in particular with latex will allow the foam to degrade and break down much more quickly and significantly lower its longevity.
At a quick scan. through our Trusted members … some of the better sources of zipped mattress covers include.

Arizona Premium Mattress cover would fit your criteria and generally has a large selection of mattress covers, bamboo, organic wool cover, organic cotton. The zipper is made with Teflon and zips around all four corners making it easy to assemble. Some models come in sizes from 6" to 15"
• DIY Natural Bedding also has an expandable 100% Organic Cotton Double-knit ticking that you might wish to consider (3" to 15" in thickness)
• FloBeds offers organic cotton & wool mattress cover in 9, 12, 16 inches thickness
Latex Mattress Factory has a removable and washable 360-degree zipper cotton cover from 2" to 12" in thickness.
• Latex mattress factory has a natural stretch cotton cover I’d call them to find the thickness.
Memory Foam Comfort (member of this site…Canada) carries zippered and removable Tencel (eucalyptus), Bamboo, Teddy (terry cloth) or Wool quilted 100% organic cotton sizes 4-12".
• Nest Bedding also has this mattress encasement.
• Sleep EZ has Natural and Organic cotton & wool Zippered Mattress covers between 6" and 12" in thickness
• Sleeping Organic has organic full zip-off covers that can be custom made with or without wool.

You may also want to also peruse the mattress covers in the component post here.

Good luck with the cover hunt!
Phoenix

Thanks for the recommendations! I noticed most of these are quilted covers. For a full latex mattress, should I be considering quilted vs non-quilted?

Hi xjbku.

You can see a short video of one of the Trusted members of our site Mattress Makers about quilted vs non-quilted mattresses

Generally quilted vs non-quilted cover boils down to your personal preferences. It has several advantages but it can involve some tradeoffs depending on your preferences. I pointed to a few wool quilted covers as this seems to be a preferred choice for many consumers that are looking for temperature neutrality and a moisture-controlled sleeping environment. Here are some thoughts on quilted vs non-quilted covers.

[indent]
• A thicker, quilted, permeable cover will do far more to protect latex from oxidation than a thinner cover or mattress protector
• It is durable enough and it doesn’t thin out and wears out prematurely (and contribute to the oxidation of the latex)
• As I mentioned a wool quilting also provides moisture and temperature regulation and breathability to the mattress surface., creating a drier microclimate. While latex is the most breathable of all the foams … it is not as breathable or temperature regulating as wool and with any softer foam where you sink in more … the foam can act as an insulator which can increase sleeping temperature for some people (although much less with latex than with other types of foam).
• Wool is used as a natural fire-retardant solution in the mattress (removing the need to add a fire sock or some chemical treatments FR solutions)
• How well a wool quilted cover will conform to the latex underneath it also depends on the material that it is quilted to. The more stretchable the material (stretch knits for example as opposed to a damask cover which is woven) the better the latex can take on the shape of the body and the more pressure relieving the latex can be.
• Wool quilting can be significantly more expensive than just a material without a wool quilting
• There is more about the pros and cons of wool quilted covers in post #6 here
• A Knit Ticking like the one offered by DIY Natural bedding has no quilting which minimizes the amount of material between you and the latex which means that you will be able to feel more of the latex below.[/indent]

So we are dealing with a few separate issues here. Protection of the latex from oxidation. the breathability of the materials closest to your skin., the ability of the latex to conform to your body shape and provide pressure relief. While some of these may be loosely related … they are in essence separate issues and part of the tradeoffs that are made in mattress construction … and in choosing the importance of one “benefit” against another.

Additionally thicker cotton covers can have a feel much like a canvas and not flex much at all, while others can have cotton blended with more elastic fibers to form a stretch-knit that is very flexible. Quilting wool into the covering will give it a bit more rigidity and some extra comfort, but it will tend to be on the slightly firmer end of the spectrum, especially as time goes on, as wool does tend to compress. This would of course depend upon the amount of wool used and how tightly it is quilted to the material. There could also be some benefits for temperature/moisture regulation with the wool, and a thicker cover quilted with wool can also provide a bit more protection in the long run versus oxidation/UV exposure for the latex.

Hope this helps
Phoenix

Im using the Topper Cover | SleepOnLatex.com it’s 100% cotton (reportedly). Using it for my DIY mattress. Stretches great very soft. 220 lbs side sleeper. Needed the cover to not be too restrictive. Also bought jersy knit sheets for stretch also.