Holy crap, mattresses have changed...

So… my wife and I have finally opted to retire our 20 year old Jamison dual pillowtop and upgrade our furniture situation. We’ve started looking at mattresses, laid on quite a few, but are still not sure which direction to go. The mattress industry has changed a LOT since we purchased our last mattress!

Looking for a little guidance from some pros…

The wife and I are both around 180 lbs and primarily side sleepers, although my wife is occasionally a stomach sleeper also. I sleep hot, so something that will keep me cool is important. I also have a bad lower back, so support through my hips is something that I think should hopefully help.

I’ve been looking at reviews for quite a few mattresses and the Tuft & Needle Mint is really intriguing. I’m new to the “bed in a box” model and have never slept on a “luxury foam” product. Should it give me the support, cooling properties, and longevity I’m looking for?

Buying a mattress is an investment, but I also want to do this on “budget”. Preferably staying under $1500.

What advice can you offer for a guy like me? I’m someone who pours over research and reviews for large purchases for months before pulling the trigger on something, but I don’t have that kind of time… new furniture will be here on the 19th.

Any help, advice, pointers, etc… you can offer is GREATLY appreciated.

Also… the Bear Hybrid looks interesting to me. If there is a way to help me calculate potential Pros/Cons vs the Mint would be HUGE!

Thanks in advance for any guidance :slight_smile:

What size mattress?

King… I actually bit the bullet and went Bear Hybrid.

Hoping we’ll be happy with it!

My wife and I are looking at the Bear Hybrid as well. How has yours worked out for you?

So far, so good! We actually really love it. Motion isolation is amazing, as I can barely feel when my wife changes sleep positions or gets in/out of the bed. The edges of the mattress are firm to support weight as you get in/out, so if you are someone that hugs the edge, you might notice what feels to be a little bit of a height difference along the perimeter of the mattress after you’ve slept on it a bit. I don’t really notice it much, but the wife says she sometimes does. It does sleep a tiny bit warm, but not so much that it’s made it uncomfortable.Overall, we’re super happy with it!

Thanks for your reply. I noticed you are a side sleeper and your wife sometimes sleeps on her stomach. We are similar. Any issues with pressure points on your hips/shoulders when on your side, or do you sink in enough for pressure relief? Does your wife feel supported and pain free when on her stomach?

Looks like you’ve had the mattress since July…Notice any real wear on the mattress, body impressions, etc…? We seem to have whittled our options down to the Bear Hybrid and the Nest Aslexander Signature Hybrid (NASH). Similar in a lot of ways. Nest is a little more expensive, but offers some nice benefits. On the fence.

Thanks again.