Hot and Sore

Hi-

Two months ago I moved and got a new bed ( Ikea MANDAL Products - IKEA) and mattress (Tuft and Needle), but I’ve been waking up every morning hot and with shoulder pain. I think the mattress is too firm for me (I’m a side sleeper) so I’m thinking about returning it and going for a Brooklyn Bedding #bestmattressever, since it’s comfort layers are latex it may be at least a little cooler.

I was previously sleeping on a cheap generic inner spring mattress on a box spring in a room with a similar temperature, and I never had a bed-temperature problem. Is it possible that the platform bed frame is preventing air flow to the mattress? It’s difficult to test temperature in a mattress store, and while you can feel for pressure in the store you won’t know if you’ll wake up with pain. Even though I live near Seattle so there are many mattress stores, I appreciate the simplified ordering/return/value of “millenial mattresses” which is why I’m looking at the BB mattress, though I would still need to decide between soft/medium firmness. At my mattress price range (<$800), online options seem to be better value, am I just looking in the wrong places? Anyways, thanks for reading!

Hi frostfire,

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

Support systems that don’t provide for any airflow under the mattress can be one of several risk factors in terms of developing mold or mildew under the mattress (see post #10 here) but it’s unlikely that it would be a significant issue with temperature regulation since the layers that are closer to your body will have a much bigger effect on your sleeping temperature than the deepest layers of your sleeping system.

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

The tutorial also includes several links to several lists of the better online options I’m aware of including a link to a list of most of the “simplified choice” mattresses (in the optional online step) that include a range of different types and categories of mattresses that would be inside your budget range. Many of them (besides the simplified choice mattresses) also have very good return or exchange policies.

Testing mattresses locally has the advantage of being able to compare many different types of mattresses based on your own personal experience so you can see which one is a better “match” for you than the others based on your own personal experience rather than just trying one mattress and not knowing how it compares to the other mattresses that you could have tried.

When you can’t test a mattress in person though then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Seattle area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hey

I would not be concerned about sleeping too hot, find a mattress that is comfortable for you, then just add
a cooling mattress pad. I have a tempurpedic mattress that i bought 2 yrs ago and i slep way too hot on it. Loved it for its comfort but had sleepless nights on it due to the heat build up.
I got the feel cooler mattress pad made with a temperature regulating material that helps you stay cool.
It has a wonderful cool feeling to it when i get in bed at night, and it blocks the heat build up so i can sleep.
I got it at www.coolingmattress.com

Best
The Ranger

We got a tuft and needle mattress and I slept hot and found it too firm for my liking. I bought a nice mattress pad and that did the trick. Make sure you get a cotton top mattress pad. We bought one at Bed Bath and Beyond (a Sterns and Foster mattress pad). If for some reason you don’t like it, they’ll take it back so you have nothing to lose.

I used to sleep way to hot on my mattress, waking up drenched in sweat. Was looking around for a solution and finally decided to try the Feel Cooler cooling mattress pad. It has some kind of material in it that can absorb heat and that way cool you off. Was a bit skeptical but decided to try it and I am glad I did! It works wonders, has a awesome cool feel to it when I get in bed at night, and it blocks the heat build up in the mattress.
I got it at www.coolingmattress.com

Highly recommend it for any issues with a hot mattress!

Best

The Ranger