How do I find an equivalent for an old mattress?

Went to my In laws and they lent me their bed for the week- first time ever that both hubby and I were happy with a bed - not too hot, not too saggy, not too firm so no pressure points, not too noisy or movement translation. The first time other than an unexpected upgraded hotel stay I woke up without neck, hip, back or knee pain in years… And we used the bed for a week! I tried to look up the bed- it’s at least 9 years old - a Kingsdown “sleeping beauty” “ingenue” version. But I can’t find anything useful about it to figure out a good equivalent anywhere! Help?

1 Like

Hi, HithereItsame,

Welcome to the TMU. I am not familiar with this mattress, perhaps you can call the company or if you have a subscription to consumer reports, you could search old CR editions and maybe they did a review on the mattress back in the day.
There is a sleeping beauty line that still exists, but without knowing what is inside the one at your in-laws, it would be next to impossible to compare. If the law label was still on the mattress, the company should be able to pull that information right up for you.
Sorry, I could not be of more help, but maybe you can start with the law label and the company.
Sleeping Beauty Kingsdown
Another option is to contact some one like this store I found that has been selling Kingsdown mattresses for a long time. Perhaps they have an old catalog that has the specs of the mattress inside. Some places hold on to things forever!
[Store with new Kingsdown Sleeping Beauty ]Sleeping Beauty Euro Top Mattress - Furniture Fair
Good luck,
Norm

Yeah I could not find anything on the older versions construction at all and the Kingsdown website doesn’t show it at all, and their customer service is all predicated on warranty related questions. So, all I have is the label my MIL sent.

1 Like

Interesting, i still would try a store who has been selling the line who has been in business for a while. Some of the old timers remember everything.
Just remember, you can not unuse old worn blue jeans. You are using/enjoying a mattress in its 9th year of service. Even if you found the original mattress in an old timers warehouse brand new, never used, it may not feel quite the same as this 9 year, well used version of the mattress.

If customer service cant help, ask to speak to a VP of sales or someone higher up the chain that has been there longer, or as I mentioned, an old time kingsdown dealer.

Good luck searching,

Norm

Search nationwide on Facebook Marketplace, searchtempest for craigslist, and then EBay and OfferUp.

1 Like

Agree with @BillyIdol - looking used may turn up something for you.
If you are familiar with the Internet archive, you can search for the company and then see if you can find that model.

I also agree with @Basilio - talking to someone who works for Kingsdown is probably the best route.
Good luck!
Katie

1 Like

Yeah I guess the frustration is that I can’t find anything on what the construction is on that model to try and figure out a modern equivalent and I don’t necessarily want a kindgsdown after reading the reviews it seems that don’t last like that one did.
Maybe looking for a used version would be a good short term answer and way to find that tag with more construction information.
Not sure of a place to go to ask about the old Kingsdown that they aren’t going to just try and sell me something to make a sale vs give good info to help me find a new mattress that is worth my $.

1 Like

Ok, doing a little research he is what you can do.
Take a picture of the complete mattress with no sheets on it.
Add a full picture, side picture and the law tag picture. along with the one that you posted here.
email the pictures with the explanation of trying to find the equivalent mattress from their current collection and what the construction of this one was at the time of manufacture.
Email it to

[email protected]

If you get right on it, they will help you.

Hi HiThereItsaMe,

Great suggestion @Maverick - I would definitely try this route. Kingsdown are light on specifications, and I see no specs on the Ingenue from 9 years ago on the Internet Archive…so hopefully emailing Jennifer Furniture can get some results for you! Please keep us posted!

~ Basilio

1 Like

I randomly called them and the guy was very helpful. He called Kingsdown corporate and since the line is discontinued, they did not have any immediate information. He said with the information I suggested, they would be able to nail it down. Just takes a little initiative to find something out that otherwise is not right on front of you!
Norm
Having said all this, this problem still exists. My other post

Also, this page Sleeping Beauty Line will give you some indication of what was in the Sleeping Beauty Line as all the models seemed to have a lot in common.