How does Jonathan Stevens compare to Pure Talalay Bliss

I’ve seen the pure Talalay bliss mattress, but looking online I found Jonathan Stevens Mattress co which appears to a locally manufactured mattresses in Grand Rapids. I haven’t found a whole lot about them on here, Phoenix mentioned them once or twice, but not recently, and there a couple threads talking about their store and that’s about all I could find. So I figured you may know.

Comparing something from Pure Talalay to something like their Sonata or Prelude…the specs appear to be very similar but the prices definitely are not. So what am I missing here?

I tried to buy a Zenhaven that had similar construction and ILD’s to a Pure Talalay Bliss model. It’s soooo different. Not nearly as jiggly, a lot more firm…idk if it’s possible to replicate.

Hey loki993:

The constructions are not similar between the JS and the PTB mattress lines. The Sonata is not all-latex. It uses a 7" polyurethane foam core at 1.8 lb density, and then 4" of Talalay latex that they say is natural. The Prelude also uses a 7" polyurethane foam base at 1.8 lb density, with 2" of “firm” Talalay and 2" of “plush” latex. This is again listed as natural Talalay.

The ILD of the Talalay isn’t listed for either mattress, but this isn’t really important if you’re able to test out the items locally. As this mattress uses less latex than any corresponding PTB model, it would be normal for the pricing to be lower when compared to an all-latex mattress.

I hope that helps you analyze their products and make “comparisons” a little easier.

Hey sweetandsourkiwi:

The construction of the Zenhaven mattress is quite different from any PTB model. The Zenhaven starts as a two-sided design, versus the one-sided design from PTB. The Zenhaven uses wool as part of the FR barrier and for comfort, which modifies surface tension, where the PTB uses a common type of rayon blend FR barrier. The Zenhaven uses natural Talalay versus the blended of the PTB line. The biggest different comes in the construction, with the Zenhaven using a core of two 3" pieces of N3 and N4 Talalay, topped by 1.5" of Talalay above the N4 layer and 1.5" of N1 Talalay above the N3 layer. Both of the 1.5" layers are also zoned. Overall, most of the feedback I’ve received from this product rate it as a firmer overall feel, regardless of the side being used, more closely related to the Pamper or Nature in the PTB line, but still a different feel, which I think you accurately describe as a firmer feel overall.

See…I knew I had to be missing something. Now re reading the descriptions they never actually state what the support base is made of.

thanks

Yes, when they use that density and verbiage it is polyurethane foam. I know it can be confusing if you aren’t immersed in the industry. :S